Guide to Photography Insurance

What is photography insurance?

Why do you need photography insurance, what does a photography insurance policy typically include and what are some common exclusions? Read our guide to find out more about photography insurance.

Photography insurance is designed to cover your equipment from a range of risks, including theft. Photography equipment is often hugely expensive, and may even be the key to your livelihood so ensuring that it is protected is very important. Photography insurance can also include a range of important business covers for professional photographers to keep you and your business safe.

Whether you are a professional photographer, run a large multimedia business, or you simply enjoy taking photographs when you’re out and about, photography insurance can help to provide protection. It is typically possible to choose different cover types to suit your needs, so whether you have one camera or a whole range of photography equipment you’ll find a policy to suit you.

Cover can be provided for camera bodies, lenses, lighting equipment, tripods and other accessories, together with computer equipment such as laptops, editing suites and external hard drives.

Do I need photography insurance?

Photography insurance may not be a legal requirement, unless you have employees and require statutory cover such as employers' liability.

You may also be required by your clients or other businesses to have other covers in place to meet your contractual obligations.  This could range from public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance or hired-in equipment insurance.

Although insurance for cameras and equipment you own isn’t mandatory it is best to consider having this as the cost of replacing equipment alone can be hugely expensive.  Photography insurance can help to protect you in this instance. It will also give you greater peace of mind when using your equipment in the UK or abroad to get you up and running again as quickly as possible.

What level of photography insurance do I need?

Everyone is different so this depends on what your requirements are: whether you earn a living from your photography or do it just for fun.

You will want to insure your equipment for the full replacement cost on a ‘new for old’ basis.  We can provide quotes for equipment from a few hundred pounds to full productions where kit prices can be more than £100,000.

We are also able to offer a variety of public liability limits including £2 million, £5 million and £10 million.

We can provide £10 million of employer's liability cover. This cover is a legal requirement if you have employees.

If you are unsure which level of cover would suit you best it is worth speaking with one of our specialist advisors.

Things to consider when selecting a photography insurance policy

There are a number of factors you will need to consider when it comes to choosing the right level of photography insurance cover for you.

It is important to consider the nature of your work when choosing your photography insurance policy. As a professional photographer, you are likely to need cover for business interruption and potentially employers' liability, as well as cover for any damage to your work.

If you are not full-time in the industry but still engage in some paid photography work then public liability and professional indemnity could be crucial. As an amateur photographer, you may simply want to ensure that your equipment is covered. It is important that you take into consideration the nature and value of your work.

Potential photography insurance exclusions explained

Photography insurance will not typically cover wear and tear to equipment or mechanical and electrical breakdown. There could be exclusions for working in hazardous locations or for foreign travel in accordance with FCO guidelines, dependent on the nature of your work. As with any insurance policy consult your policy wording for the exclusions, or better still chat through your requirements with our specialist advisors to ensure you are covered for the risks that are important to you.

Photography insurance from Towergate

Photography insurance can range from protecting your favourite camera, to covering your business and livelihood. Towergate Camerasure can provide cover to suit your needs. For more information, visit our dedicated photography insurance page or call us on 01489 770340 to speak to a specialist adviser.

About the author

Hayley Luxford has over 25 years’ experience in the commercial insurance sector with the majority of her experience as a respected professional specialising in photography, video and media insurance for multimedia businesses, professional photographers and enthusiasts.