Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Fish and Chip Shop Insurance

Cover for eat-in and takeaway fast food eateries

  • Cover for deterioration of stock
  • Cover for delivery drivers as standard
  • Cover for up to £5,000 cash in transit and on premises during business hours

Get a quote and buy your policy online

Compare quotes error retrieving broker login link

Or call our team to discuss your fish and chip shop insurance needs

0344 892 1664
0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What does fish and chip shop insurance cover?

Cover for your shop, furnishings, equipment and stock

Our fish and chip shop insurance covers your premises, including cooking equipment (owned and hired) and your stock. Should any of your property need replacement due to fire or theft by forced entry, this feature will help you to keep your business going with minimal interruption.

Public and products liability

We offer public and products liability tailored to your shop's needs. This provides cover for a wide range of third-party liability incidents. Public liability protects you should a customer have an accident on your premises and take legal action. Products liability covers you if your food causes a customer to become unwell.

Business interruption cover

Should something happen that means your fish and chip shop can no longer operate as usual, business interruption cover may be able to help you cover costs until your business is back on its feet. Incidents such as fire or theft by forcible entry are usually covered up to £250,000 as standard. Issues relating to suppliers are also covered - at a lower limit.

Peace of mind for you and your employees

Our policy covers the risks faced when working in a fast-paced customer-facing environment. With the quick movement of hot food and liquids across hot surfaces, fast food employees risk injuries and accidentals that can be costly. Our policy includes an employers' liability limit of indemnity of £10 million. It also covers your business for £5,000 cash in transit and also for cash on the premises during working hours and includes some cover for assault, should an employee fall victim to a violent theft.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Fish and Chip Shop Insurance Claims

If you need to make a claim, we'll send the details of your claim to the insurer to get your claim resolved as quickly as possible.

Call us or email us with: your policy number; a phone number to reach you on; details of your claim; and photos where possible and relevant.

If there are any complications with your claim, we’ll follow this up with the insurer and keep you updated with the progress of your claim.

Need to make a claim?

Give us a call and we’ll help settle your claim

0344 892 1384

Fish and Chip Shop Insurance Articles & Guides

Get tips and advice from our industry experts to ensure you get the best out of your insurance.

Professional Indemnity Insurance Explained

insurance guide

Professional Indemnity Insurance Explained

Learn how to protect yourself and your small business with our comprehensive guide to professional indemnity insurance, also known as professional liability insurance.

Product Liability Social Image

insurance guide

A Guide to Product Liability Insurance

Product liability insurance is essential cover for any business that sells or manufactures products. It is rarely sold as a standalone product but is often added on to a public liability insurance policy.

Liability Infographic Final News Header


Liability Insurance: An Infographic Guide

If you're a business owner, the likelihood is you'll need some liability insurance. Our infographic explains why it's so important to get covered and the circumstances in which you'll need public, professional, employers, product and director's and officer's liability insurance.

Fish and Chip Shop Insurance FAQs

What is the difference between public liability and employers’ liability?

Public liability covers you for claims from a customer or a member of the public for an injury for which you are liable (e,g. tripping over and injuring themselves) within your premises. Employers' liability is similar, but to cover you for any injuries or illnesses suffered by your employees as a result of your business.

We also recommend that you have products liability, which covers you should one of your customers suffer from food poisoning or burn themselves on hot food from your shop.

Do I need to tell you if I hire more employees?

We will usually insure you based upon your wage roll rather than number of personnel, so you would only need to tell us should your wage costs increase.

Can you provide insurance for takeaway delivery drivers to deliver fish and chips to homes and businesses?

Yes, most of our policies will cover a business delivering food. However the drivers must hold the correct fish and chip delivery insurance, and will need to notify their motor insurer that they’re using their vehicle for delivering food on your behalf.

What if I don’t just sell fish and chips - can you still cover me?

If your menu expands to cover more than just fish and chips, please let our advisers know and they will ensure your policy extends to cover this. Please note that you must tell us if you offer outside catering at events.

Can I insure multiple fish and chip or fast food shops?

Yes - even if your other fast food shops sell different products. For example, if you also have a burger bar or kebab shop store we can insure them under one policy and negotiate for a competitive rate.

Can I pay in instalments?

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.