Long Stay Travel Insurance

Specialist travel insurance to cover long holidays and adventures.

  • Policies up to a year long
  • We can provide insurance for over 350 adventurous activities
  • UK Emergency Assistance Facilities available 24/7

Know what you need? Buy long term travel insurance in minutes

Get a quote

Need to cover adventurous activities or have a question? Call our expert travel insurance team

0330 123 2249
0330 123 2249

We’re here for you Weekdays 9am - 5pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

Feefo logo



What does long stay travel insurance cover?

Personal possessions

Up to £1,000 of cover for your personal possessions is provided in case they are lost, stolen or damaged while you’re away. There is a limit of £150 per individual item but £300 for valuable items (please check the policy wording for definition of valuable items). If an item has been lost or stolen, make sure you notify the Police within 24 hours of discovery. Please be aware an excess may apply to this section of cover.

Emergency medical and associated expenses

Cover included for medical treatment at a suitable hospital and an Emergency Assistance Facilities service is provided to help you locate the nearest and most suitable facility. Up to £1 million is available to cover medical treatment and associated expenses, however, please note an excess may apply to this section of cover unless you have an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), Medicare in Australia or other mutual agreement between countries that enables a reduction in medical costs. The policy doesn't cover routine non-emergency tests or treatment.

Adventurous sports and activities

Our long stay travel insurance covers a variety of hazardous activities. Some are covered as standard such as elephant trekking and swimming with dolphins however, if you fancy something a little more adventurous such as hang gliding or black water rafting, then you’ll be able to add on an activity extension pack. Just call our travel team to find out more.

Departure delays

If your internal flight, train or boat is delayed for more than 12 hours, our long stay policy provides up to £200 compensation. We’ll also cover you if your trip gets cancelled and up to £1,000 should you need to arrange alternative transport. This section of cover won’t cover any accommodation costs, only travel costs.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Tim Thornhill

Tim Thornhill

Head of Travel
“ Towergate is proud to offer a great range of Travel Insurance products. We aim to delight our customers at every turn, whether on the phone or through our new online journey which will be evolving throughout this year. Our team in Cheltenham will be happy to assist you to ensure a truly personal service and peace of mind on your travels.”

Long Stay Travel Insurance Claims

This policy is administered by Travel Insurance Facilities (TIF) and Union Reiseversicherung AG (URV). TIF have a specialist travel claims team, so it's them you'll speak to if you need to make a claim.

They’ll talk you through the details of your claim and advise you of the next steps in the process. If you’re claiming for any stolen property, make sure you have reported your loss to the Police and have obtained a written report and reference number - this will help with your claim.

We would also recommend you share your policy details with your next of kin, just in case they need to act on your behalf should you fall ill and you’re unable to make any contact with our claims team.

Need to make a claim?

Get the ball rolling, call on:

(+44) 0203 829 6761

The team are available from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.

Alternatively you can email the team: claims@tif-plc.co.uk or find a claims form online here: www.travel-claims.net

Make sure you include; your policy number, a phone number to reach you on, details of your claim and photos where possible and relevant.

Long Stay Travel Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from Towergate:



The Great British Park Off - Britain's Top 10 Holiday Parks

This summer you voted in your thousands as we sought to find Britain’s top holiday park. We've found our winner but our runners up are well worth a visit. We've put together the top 10 in a handy list so if you’re stuck for inspiration for your holidays this year look no further. Caravans, motorhomes, campers and much more besides let’s find your next UK holiday destination.

Long Stay Travel Insurance FAQs

What happens if I miss my flight home due to illness?

Don’t worry, providing you have contacted our Emergency Assistance Facilities service then your policy will be automatically extended to cover you for medical expenses until it’s agreed you’re fit to travel home. Our Emergency Assistance Facilities service will liaise with you, and your treating doctor, and once you’re fit to travel they will make the appropriate alternative arrangements.

What happens if I need to travel home early due to illness?

The policy provides cover if you fall unwell and treatment isn’t available locally however first you should call our Emergency Assistance Facilities helpline for advice.

Am I covered if I miss my internal flight?

If your flight is delayed for more than 12 hours, you’ll be compensated for each complete period of travel up to a maximum of £200. Compensation will only be paid if personal possessions are checked in, and we will need to see details of the missed flight and scheduled departure time, so please keep a record.

Will I be covered if my money gets stolen?

Yes, we’ll cover up to £500 for loss or theft of your personal money during your trip however please be aware an excess may apply. Also, please remember this will not cover for financial loss suffered as a result of credit/debit card being stolen.

Who do I need to contact in a medical emergency?

In a serious emergency, first call the local ambulance service. You will then need to contact the Emergency Assistance Facilities service which is open 24 hours per day, seven days per week who will advise you what you need to do. We’d recommend you store the telephone number in your phone, just in case. It’s +44 (0) 203 829 6745.

Are there any countries not covered under the Long Stay Travel insurance policy?

We aren't able to cover for any countries that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advise against. You can check whether the country that you’re travelling to is listed on the government website's page on Foreign Travel Advice.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.

Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter

Newsletter Terms and Conditions

By signing up to Towergate’s newsletter you are agreeing to receive quarterly email communications containing a range of news, top-tips, competitions and occasional offers for insurance products and/or services. Our newsletters are designed to keep you up to date with what we’re involved in, as well as other advice and content that we think you might find interesting.

Should you wish to unsubscribe please click here, or email with your details so we can carry out your request.