Probate House Insurance

Buildings and contents insurance for properties during probate.

About Probate House Insurance


Specialist, Friendly Team

If you have any questions about our policy or if you need to make a change, our friendly customer service team is available Mon - Fri 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 1pm. We can also offer extra help to relatives going through probate for the first time


Flexible probate house cover

Flexible probate property insurance for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months, whether the property is unoccupied or occupied, both before and after probate is granted

Direct Debit

Spread the cost of probate house insurance

You can spread the cost over monthly direct debit instalments


Share your passions

Involved in a vast array of special interests and local communities.

Features of Probate House Insurance

Standard cover

Buildings insurance for probate houses

We cover your buildings as standard, this includes the Home and its permanent fixtures and fittings, swimming pools, paths, drives, terraces, walls, hedges, gates and fences all contained within the boundaries of the Land.

Rebuild costs

We can help cover the re-build costs of your property should the worst happen. If you aren’t sure how to calculate this, speak to one of our friendly advisors to help guide you through the process.

Occupied or unoccupied probate house Cover

Whether the property is still being lived in or vacant we can accommodate for a variety of circumstances

Liability cover

Our policies have £2,000,000 liability insurance built in to cover you for damages.

Probate House Insurance FAQs


What is probate?


Probate is the process of dealing with the estate of somebody after their death, which typically involves clearing any debts and distributing whatever assets they have in accordance with their will. Often this will involve a property.


Do I need probate house insurance?


You’re likely to need special cover if the property is still in the deceased’s name, or if it’s unoccupied for an extended period. Ordinary home insurance policies probably won’t cover you for more than 30 days of unoccupancy.


Can you cover me if the property isn’t in my name?


Yes. You’ll have to prove you have an ‘insurable interest’ in the property in order for us to be able to provide cover. Once you’ve been confirmed (usually as an executor or trustee) the policy can be issued in your name with any other beneficiaries named as additional policyholders.


Why does it cost more to insure an empty property?


Empty properties face more risks than occupied properties. Even well maintained properties can degrade quickly with no one on the spot to see problems – like leaks – and put a stop to them before they cause too much damage. Vacant properties can also be at more risk of antisocial behaviour or burglary. Your insurer may ask that you inspect the property (or have an agent inspect it) every seven days, or that you install an alarm or upgrade locks.

Your premium will also vary depending on how long the property has been or will be empty. Usually after 5 years restrictions will start to apply – often reducing your cover to fire, lightening, earthquake and explosion only.


Should I take out a 3, 6, 9 or 12 month probate house insurance policy?


Each probate case is different, but it can end up being an unexpectedly lengthy period of wrangling with solicitors and official documentation. We’d always recommend you start with at least a six month policy. However, with a range of shorter policies available, it means we can help you make sure you’re only getting the cover you need, at every stage of the probate process.


Can I get a quote online?


Yes, you can get a quote online, but we’re on the other end of the phone if you have specific questions, call 0345 266 8577 for any support.


What if I need a bit more help?


We know that if it’s the first time you’ve dealt with probate, especially if you’re also dealing with your own grief, sometimes things can feel overwhelming. Our team are experts and are on hand to guide you through the process and make sure you’ve got the right cover in place for the property you’re responsible for.

We’re a safe pair of hands for an upsetting time of your life and it’s our job to make things as easy as possible, giving you a bit of peace of mind while you concentrate on what’s really important.


Where can I find full details of my policy?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.


How can I pay for my premium?


You can pay by credit card or monthly direct debit.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 03450 744 760 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim