Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Sports Travel Insurance

Adventure travel insurance for active holidays

  • Single and multi-trip travel insurance for UK residents
  • Cover available for over 100 activities, from kayaking to scuba diving
  • Ski cover for up to 21 days per year

Request a quote online

Get a quote

Features of our sports travel insurance

Holiday cancellation cover

Up to £5,000 cancellation cover, starting at the time of booking until you leave home to commence your trip. Covers cancellation due to injury, serious illness, death, jury service, posting overseas, FCO or WHO advice prohibiting all but essential travel and more.

Medical and personal accident cover

Search and rescue or emergency transfer to hospital up to £50,000 if you are participating in an insured activity covered by your policy. Hospital in-patient cover up to limit shown on Summary of Cover. Accident cover for loss of limb, sight, permanent total disablement or death.

Stay in the know

Our 360 Assistance Service offers online access to contact details for consulates and local medical facilities as well as the latest medical, political and security news. Simply register after purchasing your policy and sign up to alerts for specific countries you're travelling to.

Baggage and belongings cover

Up to £2,000 cover for the replacement or repair of your baggage if it is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed, or for the cost of buying replacement necessities if your baggage is delayed on outward journey for over 24 hours.

How does sports travel insurance with Towergate work?

  1. Select either our single or annual multi-trip cover, and the level of cover you need: Active Standard Cover or Active Plus Cover. Both offer the same type of cover but with higher limits for some areas with Active Plus cover. Please refer to the policy wording for further details to determine which level of cover is suitable for your needs.
  2. Pick the region(s) you'd like cover for:

    • Europe only
    • Worldwide (excluding USA, Canada & Caribbean)
    • Worldwide (including USA, Canada & Caribbean)

  3. Specify who needs to be covered:

    • An individual (just you)
    • A couple (you and your partner)
    • You (one adult) and children
    • A couple with children (you, your partner and children)

  4. Select from over 100 different activities covered, to determine which of our four levels of cover is most suitable for you (Level 1 = lowest risk, Level 4 = highest risk)

Summary of activities by level of cover
  Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4
Bungee jumping (level of cover dependent on number of jumps)    
Fishing (level of cover dependent on body of water)    
Hiking (level of cover dependent on altitude)
Horse riding (for leisure)      
Jet Skiing      
Quad biking      
Outdoor rock climbing      
Skiing (level of cover dependent on type of skiing)    
White water rafting (level of cover dependent on water grade)    

This list is not exhaustive but is to give you an idea of the level of cover needed for common activities. We offer cover for over 100 different activities, which you'll be able to see in the policy wording or during the quotation process.

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording. Show policy documents

Sports Travel Insurance Claims

Claims for our sports travel insurance are handled by the insurer, Millstream Underwriting Limited. Therefore, claims will be processed by Millstream Underwriting Limited rather than Towergate Insurance.

A few keys things to bear in mind when making a claim on your sports travel insurance:

  • Claims must be submitted within 60 days of your return to the UK.

  • Original receipts and or proof of ownership and value must be provided for any items being claimed for.

  • Damaged items must be kept by you and if requested submitted to the Claims Handlers.

  • If any medical certificates, information, evidence and receipts, are required to support your claim, these must be obtained by you at your expense.

  • For further information on the claims process, please refer to page 35 of the policy wording.

Sports Travel Insurance Articles & Guides

We've selected the following articles for you:

Guide To Travel Insurance


Guide to Travel Insurance

Travel insurance can cover for a variety of different incidents, from lost luggage to sickness or injury. However, many people still travel without it, leaving themselves...

View article
cycling social


Five Great UK Cycling Holiday Destinations

You don’t need to head abroad for your cycling holiday - the UK is home to a huge variety of cycling routes that cater to all skill levels, with plenty of scenic destinations that should not be missed. We’ve picked five of our favourite cycling holiday destinations in the UK.

Coach Travel Insurance Small

insurance guide

Coach Travel Insurance Guide

Do you need specific coach travel insurance for your trip, and if so what are some of the most common features and exclusions? Read our guide to find out.

Sports Travel Insurance FAQs

Will I be able to be insured if I have a medical condition?

This will be assessed on a case by case basis. The medical screening experts will ask you several questions relating to your health condition and this will determine whether we are able to offer you cover. Please be reassured, everything you tell the team is treated with the utmost confidentiality and your details will not be shared with anyone outside of the organisation.

Will the E111 / EHIC health agreement still be valid after Brexit?

No. The UK’s reciprocal health agreements (E111 / EHIC) with the EU will come to an end on the 1/1/2021.

It is therefore vital when travelling within Europe you purchase adequate travel insurance, if you wish to be covered should you require medical treatment.

What are the details of the Money Advice Service’s customer contact centre for travel insurance queries?

If for some reason we are unable to find you affordable travel insurance for your medical conditions, the Money Advice Service has introduced a service to help you.

If you need to speak to the Money Advice Service regarding travel insurance you can contact them online.

You can also see more information on OK to Travel.

Does your sport travel insurance cover me for coronavirus?

No, you will need a separate policy to cover you against this.

Does your sport travel insurance cover extreme sports?

Our insurance can cover a wide range of sports, from cycling to quad biking, but premiums will range according to the sports you need cover for. You will be able to find this out during the quotation process.

How much ski/snowboarding cover is included in this policy?

Our multi-trip policy can cover up to 17 days of cover for these activities per insurance year.

Can I get sports travel insurance with Towergate if I am not a UK resident?

Unfortunately we can only offer sports travel cover to UK residents.

Are their age limitations on this policy?

We can offer our annual multi-trip policy to people up to the age of 75 and our single trip policy to people up to the age of 80. Note that the maximum trip length for the multi-trip policy drops to 31 days (as opposed to 60 days), for policyholders over the age of 65.

Does this insurance cover trips in the UK?

Our multi-trip sports travel policy can cover UK trips which are pre-booked in paid accommodation for one night or more.

What happens if I am delayed on holiday and my insurance policy expires during that time?

If your return is unavoidably delayed for an insured reason, cover can be extended free of charge for up to 30 days.

I have a pre-existing medical condition. Can you cover me?

We can cover people with many common medical conditions. An extensive list of medical conditions covered can be found in the policy wording. However, if you are unsure, please call the Medical Screening Service on +44 (0)330 660 0563.

Can I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy within 14 days of receiving it, if you have not travelled, made a claim, or intend to make a claim.

If my holiday is cancelled, will this be covered?

If your holiday is cancelled due to reasons covered under your policy conditions, you may be able to make a claim. A number of covered reasons:

  • Injury, serious illness, death of yourself or anyone you were intending to stay or travel with, an immediate relative or close business associate
  • If you become pregnant after policy purchase or booking trip (whichever is later) and will be more than 26 weeks pregnant at the start of or during your trip. Or if a medical practitioner advises not to travel due to pregnancy complications.
  • If you are called to jury service, court as a witness (excluding expert witnesses), or redundancy.
  • If you are posted overseas or required for emergency or unavoidable duty and work in the: medical, nursing, armed forces, police, fire, or ambulance services.
  • If FCO or WHO advice prohibits all but essential travel.

Please check the policy wording for further details on holiday cancellation cover.

Will there be an excess to pay in the event of a claim?

Yes, the standard excess per claim is £150. Please note that a higher excess of £875 applies in respect of medical emergency repatriation by air ambulance or helicopter service in Nepal.

How much cancellation cover does your sports travel cover include?

Our sports travel insurance includes £2,500 cover for standard single and multi-trip policies and £5,000 cover for our 'Plus' policies.

Will I have medical cover in the European Union?

If you are travelling in the EU, you should obtain The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) by calling +44 (0)300 330 1350 or apply at

Does your sports travel insurance cover golf holidays?

Yes, golf cover can be included in your policy as an add-on. This covers your golf equipment hire if your golf equipment is lost or delayed for at least 12 hours on your outward journey, as well as the value of the unused portion of your green fees if you have an accident, are ill, or your documents are lost or stolen which prevents you from playing golf.

Does this travel cover include car hire excess insurance waiver?

We cannot include car hire excess cover as part of this policy. However, our sister company insurance4carhire offers single trip and annual car hire excess cover.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.