Truck and Fleet Insurance

Commercial vehicle insurance solutions tailored to your business by the industry specialist.

  • Flexible Truck insurance - for drivers of single trucks or hauliers with fleets of up to five HGVs.
  • Bespoke Fleet insurance - feature rich insurance for those owning or operating over five HGVs of varying size, type or composition or over 10 cars or vans.

Insure your truck or fleet online

Get a quote

If you’d prefer to speak to us, call one of our expert advisors on

0344 346 0915
0344 346 0915

We’re here for you Mon - Fri 8.30am - 6pm

Subject to acceptance of the risk by underwriters. Terms and conditions may apply.

Feefo logo



Do you want to know more? Read on for more details on our policies

Truck Insurance Features

  • For commercial vehicles from 7.5t through to 200t and covering a wide range of vehicle types including flatbed, skip, tippers, mixers, refrigerated trucks and many other types of HGVs.

  • Up to 5 vehicles and associated covers all under one policy.

  • Policy discounts available for qualifying customers with risk management tools, such as driver training and forward facing dash cameras.

  • Immediate cover available.

  • Instalment facilities for qualifying customers - subject to status.

  • Attached and detached trailer cover.

  • Costs of defending an action under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 may be included - subject to insurer.

Fleet Insurance Features

  • Based on a detailed, completely free and without obligation zero based review of your business activities and its assets.

  • Your own dedicated team of highly qualified account and risk management professionals, whose expertise and guidance is on hand as you need it by phone, email and on a face to face basis at periodical reviews during the policy term.

  • Access to a wide range of risk management tools including driver profiling and training, claims accident packs, forward facing cameras and in-vehicle trackers.

  • Expert claims support.

Covers available

  • Commercial Vehicle Insurance - Haulage, Own Goods or Business Use.

  • Motor Fleet.

  • Motor Trade.

  • Goods in transit insurance – to dovetail with your conditions of carriage.

  • Public and Employers’ liability.

  • Property - for everything from your office buildings, garage, warehouse to your stock and tools.

  • Business interruption.

  • Cyber insurance – protection for your business and its digital assets in the event of cyber attack.

  • Commercial Legal expenses insurance.

  • Engineering – statutory inspection and / or insurance.

  • Income protection in the event of personal accident, sickness or loss of licence.

  • HGV Breakdown insurance.

  • Directors’ & Officers’ Liability.

Truck and Fleet Insurance Claims

It is important to report all incidents to your insurers, including cases where there is little or no damage to your vehicle. This will help your insurance company to defend you against claims made by a third party.

While all incidents should be reported directly to your insurer, our in house team are always on hand should you need additional support or if you have concerns about the claims process.

To report an incident at any time, day or night, please call your insurer directly using the telephone number shown on your claims card. Your claims card should be kept in your vehicle at all times so you are able to report incidents as quickly as possible.

Your insurer will correspond with you directly with the progress of your claim and they will keep us updated at all times.

Truck and Fleet Insurance Articles & Guides

Tips, advice and points of interest on all things commercial vehicle.

Haulage Truck

insurance guide

Keeping your fleet costs down

To some involved in the road haulage fleet insurance sector, the term ‘risk management’ may still mean little more than claims analysis and driver training. Whilst those...

View insurance guide

Get your Truck and Fleet Insurance quote today

Please take a few moments to fill in your details below so that one of our specialist advisors can call you back.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your details.

One of our trained advisors will be in touch with you very soon to discuss your requirements and offer further information of the cover options for your insurance.

In the meantime, if you have any questions and would like to speak to a member of the team, please contact us using the details given on this page.

Truck and Fleet Insurance FAQs

Truck insurance

What is a truck insurance policy?

A truck insurance policy, also known as a haulage insurance policy, is one which has been specifically designed for the needs of any business that uses trucks and other HGVs. It is often made up of various sections of cover and is generally categorised depending on the amount of trucks or HGVs that need to be added to the motor section of the policy. The truck insurance policies offered by Towergate are for companies or individuals running between one and five trucks of 7.5T or over.

What is included with the truck insurance policies offered by Towergate?

Our truck insurance policies are 'multi section' meaning they are made up of various sections of cover. This enables you to choose exactly which sections you require. We offer a wide variety of insurance covers, all designed to meet the needs of a commercial vehicle operator.

Which sections of your truck insurance policies should I purchase?

It's completely up to you. It depends on the nature of your business and your attitude to risk. Some sections of cover, such as motor insurance and employers liability insurance are mandatory by law. Others are optional, such as personal accident and sickness and goods in transit. If you are unsure which products are right for you, our staff specialise in commercial vehicle insurances, so please don't hesitate to contact us.

I have a truck heavier than 44T GVW - can I still insure it with Towergate?

Yes, you can. We even have a number of clients running vehicles up to 200T GVW! We pride ourselves on our ability to insure a wide array of trucks, lorries and HGVs and are one of the few companies in the UK who specialise in the heavy haulage market.

Do you provide cover for hazardous goods or locations?

Put simply, it depends. We need to take into consideration the type of work you are undertaking and the locations at which you are working, however, we are confident we can find you some level of cover. Our staff have been provided with specialist training on this complex area of insurance and will be able to provide you with good advice over the telephone.

Do I need to purchase employers liability insurance?

Yes, you do. Employers liability cover was made mandatory in the UK by the Employer's Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969. The legislation requires all employers to purchase employers liability insurance - even if you only use an employee occasionally on a temporary basis. Employers liability insurance is available under the 'combined liability' section of our policies.

I'm starting a new haulage company - is it possible to get cheap truck insurance as a new venture?

Yes, it is. At Towergate, we know starting up any new business can be expensive and that insurance cover can be a big part of the set up costs, particularly for a new haulage company. That's why we provide a number of discounts for new venture companies, including a maximum no claims discount available for companies using drivers with a history of claim-free driving. Even if this isn't the case we can still offer generous introductory discounts.

Do I get a discount on my policy for using risk management tools like forward facing accident recording cameras?

Risk management tools can be a brilliant way of bringing your premium down and cameras are a great example of this. Because camera's can be used to both defend your liability in the event of an accident and pick up fraudulent or staged accidents many insurers are keen for their customers to use them, as such superb discounts are available. The discount available can vary from insurer to insurer so please speak to us to see how you can benefit.

I've been offered a discount for CPC training with my policy. Why is this?

New legislation requires truck drivers to complete their Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) by 2014. To qualify, drivers must complete five units of training of at least seven hours per unit. Although drivers do have the option of leaving the five days of training until just before the deadline, we are keen to do everything we can to help truck drivers complete this requirement. We also know from years of experience that a practical driver training course with a HGV specialist driver trainer can have a significant impact on the number of insurance claims made by policyholders - something which helps reduce everybody's premiums in the long term. For this reason we've arranged discounts for qualifying customers with between one and five trucks of 7.5T or over to take one unit of CPC driver training every three years. Additional practical or classroom courses can also be purchased via our sales team at any point during the year.

Fleet insurance

What is a Fleet insurance policy?

A fleet insurance policy is often made up of various sections of cover, specifically designed for the needs of a business which uses a number of trucks, vans and cars. The fleet insurance policies offered by Towergate are for companies or individuals running more than five or more trucks of 7.5T and / or ten or more cars / vans.

What is included with the HGV and fleet insurance policies offered by Towergate?

The fleet insurance policies available from Towergate are multi-section, enabling you to choose which sections you require. A wide selection of insurance covers are available, all designed to meet the needs of a commercial fleet operator. These cover both motor and wider business risks.

How do I purchase a Fleet policy?

Towergate is committed to delivering a market leading service to our fleet customers. If you request a quotation from us for your fleet of commercial vehicles, we will arrange for one of our account executives to visit your premises to collect the details necessary for us to deliver a quotation. All our account executives are highly qualified in commercial insurance and have many years experience in the fleet insurance market. In order to further understand the pressures and responsibilities involved in operating a modern transportation business, many of our account executives have successfully undertaken Health and Safety and Transport Manager's CPC qualifications. Before we visit you for the first time you will be sent a profile of your account executive, detailing their qualifications and experience in the commercial vehicle insurance sector. This will include a photograph so you know who to expect.

So what else makes you different from your competitors?

When it comes to insurance, everyone wants the same thing - the best possible cover at the best possible price. At Towergate, we are committed to delivering a competitive fleet insurance product that doesn't scrimp on cover.

How do you do it?

The calculation that sits behind a commercial motor fleet insurance premium is based almost entirely on the claims history of the fleet. The average cost of historic claims per vehicle is calculated and then used to predict the insurer's outlay in the coming policy year. The cost of claims is therefore the most significant factor in calculating your new premium. We use proven risk management techniques to reduce the cost of your claims and therefore stabilise or reduce your insurance premiums. These risk management programmes range from driver training or profiling to health and safety consultancy or forward facing accident cameras and on board telematics systems. More often than not our insurer partners are willing to fund some or all of the cost of these risk management programmes.

What happens once I have bought a Fleet policy?

Once we have set up your policy your account executive will introduce you to your account manager and your Fleet Risk Manager as well as initiating your risk management programme (where applicable). Meetings will be arranged with your Fleet Risk Manager who will review the effectiveness of the risk management programme and the progress of specific claims with your insurance company. Detailed management information will be provided by your Fleet Risk Manager, which will include a full analysis of driver and accident causes. These reports will provide you with the information necessary to make the business and risk management decisions which will lead to the best reduction in claims costs.