Truck insurance

Flexible truck insurance cover designed for drivers of single trucks or hauliers with fleets of up to five HGVs.

Our truck insurance comes with a series of options to ensure you have just the right cover in place within a single policy. When it comes to size, there’s no truck too big or too small – from 7.5t through to 200t GVWs.

Read more

Here to help

For a quote or insurance advice call:

0844 346 1418

01952 298995

Weekdays 8:30am - 6pm

Request a callback Get a quote Email us
Refer a friend

Receive a £20 Love2Shop voucher for every HGV that goes on cover *

Truck insurance features

  • Category C and C + E licences accepted

  • Options for fully comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, or third party cover only

  • Options for goods in transit, employer's and public liability, engineering insurance, personal accident and sickness insurance

  • Cover for attached or detached trailers

  • Injury or death of third party persons with an unlimited limit of indemnity

  • Damage to property of others up to £5 million

  • Costs of defending an action under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007

  • Breakdown cover in the UK and Europe with a 24 hour emergency number

  • 24 hour helpline

  • Discounts available for purchase of accident recording camera and a unit of CPC driver training*

*For qualifying customers only. Your adviser will be able to provide details of which insurers offer this benefit. 

* If you feel happy with the service you have received from Towergate Insurance, why not tell your friends about us? Receive a £20 Love2Shop voucher for every HGV that goes on cover, up to a maximum of £250 for each friend you recommend. If you know someone who could benefit from our competitive haulage insurance packages, complete our quick form below. Alternatively, simply give them our number (0844 346 1418) and ask them to mention your name when they call for a quote.

**For qualifying customers only. Policy discounts for risk management tools will differ for each insurer.

Prefer to spread the cost of your policy?

Paying by direct debit is an affordable and convenient way to pay for your policy. Through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL)*, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments.

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

*To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


Truck insurance exclusions

  • Motor - claims for liability that you have assumed in contract unless you would have incurred the same liability without entering into the contract

  • Motor - theft if keys left in or on the vehicle

  • Goods in transit - theft of property from unattended vehicles unless the vehicle is in a locked building or compound controlled by security personnel

  • Income protection - cover is subject to a declaration of health and may be offered excluding any illness or injury that existed on the date of entry into the scheme or at each renewal

  • Income protection - loss of licence must occur within 2 years of sickness or injury for the benefit to become payable

These are just some of the key exclusions/limitations, full details will be found in policy wordings.


Truck insurance FAQs

  • What is a truck insurance policy?

  • A truck insurance policy, also known as a haulage insurance policy, is one which has been specifically designed for the needs of any business that uses trucks and other HGVs. It is often made up of various sections of cover and is generally categorised depending on the amount of trucks or HGVs that need to be added to the motor section of the policy. The truck insurance policies offered by Towergate are for companies or individuals running between one and five trucks of 7.5T or over.

  • What is included with the truck insurance policies offered by Towergate?

  • Our truck insurance policies are 'multi section' meaning they are made up of various sections of cover. This enables you to choose exactly which sections you require. We offer a wide variety of insurance covers, all designed to meet the needs of a commercial vehicle operator. These include:

    • motor fleet insurance

    • commercial motor

    • goods in transit

    • employers and public liability insurance

    • personal accident and sickness insurance

  • Which sections of your policies should I purchase?

  • It's completely up to you. It depends on the nature of your business and your attitude to risk. Some sections of cover, such as motor insurance and employers liability insurance are mandatory by law. Others are optional, such as personal accident and goods in transit. If you are unsure which products are right for you, our staff specialise in commercial vehicle insurances, so please don't hesitate to contact us.

  • I have a truck heavier than 44T GVW - can I still insure it with Towergate?

  • Yes, you can. We even have a number of clients running vehicles up to 200T GVW! We pride ourselves on our ability to insure a wide array of trucks, lorries and HGVs and are one of the few companies in the UK who specialise in the heavy haulage market.

  • Do you provide cover for hazardous goods or locations?

  • Put simply, it depends. We need to take into consideration the type of work you are undertaking and the locations at which you are working, however, we are pretty confident we can find you some level of cover. Our staff have been provided with specialist training on this complex area of insurance and will be able to provide you with good advice over the telephone.

  • Do I need to purchase employers liability insurance?

  • Yes, you do. Employers liability cover was made mandatory in the UK by the Employer's Liability Compulsory Insurance Act 1969. The legislation requires all employers to purchase employers liability insurance - even if you only use an employee occasionally on a temporary basis. Employers liability insurance is available under the 'combined liability' section of our policies.

  • I'm starting a new haulage company - is it possible to get cheap truck insurance as a new venture?

  • Yes, it is. At Towergate, we know starting up any new business can be expensive and that insurance cover can be a big part of the set up costs, particularly for a new haulage company. That's why we provide a number of discounts for new venture companies, including a maximum no claims discount available for companies using drivers with a history of claim-free driving. Even if this isn't the case we can still offer up to two years' introductory discount.

  • Do I get a discount on my policy for using risk management tools like forward facing accident recording camera's?

  • Risk management tools can be a great way of bringing your premium down and camera's are a great example of this. Because camera's can be used to both defend your liability in the event of an accident and pick up fraudulent or staged accidents many insurers are keen for their customers to use them, as such discounts of up to 10% are achievable. The discount available can vary from insurer to insurer so please speak to us to see how you can benefit.

  • I've been offered a discount for CPC training with my policy. Why is this?

  • New legislation requires truck drivers to complete their Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) by 2014. To qualify, drivers must complete five units of training of at least seven hours per unit. Although drivers do have the option of leaving the five days of training until just before the deadline, we are keen to do everything we can to help truck drivers complete this requirement. We also know from years of experience that a practical driver training course with a HGV specialist driver trainer can have a significant impact on the number of insurance claims made by policyholders - something which helps reduce everybody's premiums in the long term. For this reason we've arranged discounts for qualifying customers with between one and five trucks of 7.5T or over to take one unit of CPC driver training every three years. Additional practical or classroom courses can also be purchased via our sales team at any point during the year.

  • Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

  • If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.


Truck insurance policy documents

Policy documents

Policy Summary [pdf, 44 KB] Policy Wording [pdf, 2727 KB]

Truck insurance claims promise

At Towergate we believe in being proactive when it comes to your claims management. We get your insurer involved as soon as possible to reduce the time it takes until settlement, ensuring you are back on the road as quickly as possible and to keep claims costs down. In fact, the first two days following an incident are critical in the handling of your claim.

Your truck insurance claim

It is important to report all incidents to your insurers, including cases where there is little or no damage to your vehicle. This will help your insurance company to defend you against claims made by a third party. 

While all incidents should be reported directly to your insurer, our in house team are always on hand should you need additional support or if you have concerns about the claims process.

To report an incident at any time, day or night, please call your insurer directly using the telephone number shown on your claims card. Your claims card should be kept in your vehicle at all times so you are able to report incidents as quickly as possible.

Your insurer will correspond with you directly with the progress of your claim and they will keep us updated at all times.


Product Reviews

93% of customers liked our products (1116 reviews)

DateProductScoreCustomer Comment

Landlord Insurance (New Business)


I had no problem with the arrangement of the policy but have had to make numerous telephone calls to try and receive the documents. Today, 14th November I spoke to Mikey Barnett-Evans who e-mailed them through to me as he said he would. I will await receipt the documents by post and see whether they transpire.

Touring Caravan Insurance (Renewal)


easy to contact everything explained in detail as yet to make a claim,so can`t comment on that . All in all satisfied at this moment in time

On 21-Nov-2014 the customer changed their rating and added:
the operator I spoke to was precise clear and helpful with my initial enquiry .Gave me all the information I wanted, offered me what I thought was a good, and fair quote

See this exchange on Feefo

Landlord Insurance (New Business)


Helpful and swift

Static Caravan Insurance (Renewal)


Making a claim is a lengthy process and not straight forward

Static Caravan Insurance (Renewal)


have everything I needed at competitive price's

Static Caravan Insurance (New Policy Holder)


I was pleased with the way I was dealt with

Park Home Insurance (New Policy Holder)


Excellent price. Excellent telephone manner.

Static Caravan Insurance (Renewal)


Your insurance cover is good, but when I renewed my policy after 16 days
I had to ring as my document did not arrive, I then had to have them Emailed
To me I was not happy about this and although I was assured they were posted
The day I paid it is now 6 weeks and they still have not arrived.

Static Caravan Insurance (Renewal)


Helpful polite and knowledgable

Static Caravan Insurance (Renewal)


I am still waiting for the document to arrive in the post -so experience NOT GOOD!

View all reviews >>

0844 346 1418

01952 298995

Weekdays 8:30am - 6pm

Get a quote

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.