Media Insurance

Specialist insurance for the media industry, providing services to film, television, music productions and more.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Side view of a video camera with blurred studio background
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose media insurance with Towergate?


Short term and annual policies

Whether you're shooting a music video or a TV series, we can offer you the perfect length policy.


Professional claim assistance

Expert advice and in-house team to help you deal with claims quickly and efficiently.


Commercial producer's indemnity

We offer commercial producer's indemnity and professional indemnity cover.

Direct Debit icon

Pay by Direct Debit

We offer a quick and easy direct debit instalment scheme so you can spread payment over ten months.

About media insurance

Media production insurance is a necessity whether you are producing a documentary for broadcasters or shooting a feature film for worldwide release. Should the shoot be interrupted, we protect you against costs for cast, crew and film equipment, but note that acts of fraud or dishonesty by employees will not be covered. We work closely with you to ensure that cover is tailored to your needs, and we can offer cover for shoots in the UK, EU and worldwide. Protect the time and effort spent on your productions by working with us to ensure your cover suits your project's needs. Our standard policy can provide cover for any owned technical equipment and hired-in equipment. Equipment is covered on an all risks basis and can be extended to include cover worldwide if your production takes you abroad. We can also include any production office contents and other property including props, sets and wardrobes.

Get a Quote

We ensure wider covers are provided for the freelancer who uses high-value equipment. Whether you’re a cameraman using a Steadicam, a sound recordist, an audio and lighting technician or a grip, we can arrange the right cover for you through multimedia insurers, This cover is not available online so speak with our team and we'll arrange this for you.


Short-term and annual media insurance

If you are producing content all year round in the form of corporate events, shooting an entire tour of live music shows, or creating promotional content for advertising agencies, our annual policies might be the best fit for you. The policy is designed for frequent use of hired equipment along with liability protection for production team members. If you are shooting music videos, or a short film for a festival or a sporting event, we also offer short-term cover that may be more in line with your project's needs.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 01489 770325 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Media insurance FAQs

Yes, Towergate media insurance excesses vary but full details can be found on your policy documents or you can contact one of the team.

We are able to offer a range of public liability indemnity limits including £1m, £2m, £5m and £10m as standard. Employer's liability is covered for £10m as standard to meet the minimum requirement by law.

You can check how much your multimedia equipment should be insured for by finding the price of the equivalent model on the market today. Because we replace your items on a new for old basis, the price for the latest equivalent version of your equipment is a good place to start when deciding new for old values for insurance. Don’t forget, if you are VAT-registered you can deduct this from your value.

If you are hiring equipment the hire house will usually provide an insurance value they require you to insure the kit for.

You will need to tell us where you are working geographically to make sure we can cover your production. We are able to provide a worldwide extension to cover the full production for all your equipment and liabilities.

  • Insurers will indemnify you for any negligence, breach of a duty of care, infringement of IP, copyright and trademarks. Also known as errors and omissions insurance this type of policy covers you for any professional negligence for the work you do.
  • All risks negative and videotape insurance: Get insured against raw film, videotape, prints images and tapes from loss, damage and destruction.
  • Loss of hire fees: Insurer will indemnify you in respect of loss of hiring charges for which you are responsible under conditions of hire arising directly from accidental loss destruction or damage of equipment.
  • Money insurance: Cover for loss, destruction or damage to any money used during the production for cash or cheques.
  • Group travel and personal accident: If you are travelling abroad with your production we can look to offer group travel insurance to cover any medical expenses. Travel will need to be from the UK.
  • Commercial drone insurance: If your company is registered to fly commercially we can look to provide a fully compliant EC 785/2004 insurance policy.
  • Public and employer's liability cover: Public liability cover is especially important for film projects which may involve interaction with the public or performances in public areas, and how much cover you need will depend on the size of your project. If you’re unsure how much cover you need, tell one of our knowledgeable advisers about your business and they’ll be able you decide on the right cover. It is also a mandatory legal requirement in the UK to have employer's liability insurance and this will protect your cast and crew from loss or injury while carrying out work for you.

We can tailor-make you a policy which includes the right levels of all types of public and employer's liability insurance protection.


If you prefer to spread the cost of your annual premium, we offer a quick and easy Direct Debit scheme.

When you choose to pay premiums in instalments, you will be paying under a Premium Finance plan. We will give you full details of the finance provider, and the additional cost of finance, when we provide you with your payment plan quotation. This will include the total payable, the number of monthly instalments and the cost of each, as well as the representative APR.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Media insurance articles and guides

Top Photography Tips

Read some great photography techniques and tips in our guide.

Read more

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance?

What is the difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance? We define PL and PI insurance to help you decide if your business needs them.

Read more