Martial Arts Insurance

Cover for martial arts clubs/associations and its members and Instructors. Public and Products liability, Personal Accident cover options and a choice of indemnity limits to suit the needs of martial arts activities.

01926 439 511

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

About Martial Arts Insurance


Bespoke martial arts insurance

A wide range of policies that can be tailored to your needs.


Public and product liability

Cover for both martial arts instructors and dojos.


Personal Accident Insurance with 24/7 coverage option

Temporary Total Disablement cover, broken bones cover and physiotherapy sessions.


Indemnity limits

To suit the needs of your martial arts association.

Features of Martial Arts Insurance

Standard cover

Martial arts instructor insurance

Our MartialGuard Instructor policy is designed to cover the main liability insurance needs of a martial arts instructor. This includes public and products liability, as well as a 24-hour personal accident cover option, with weekly benefits of up to £500, broken bones cover and up to 10 physiotherapy sessions. Cover is on a ‘claims occurrence’ basis, meaning you are protected for incidents during your policy, even if the claim is made at a later date.

Liability cover for martial arts clubs and associations

We offer a 12-month liability cover policy for martial arts clubs and associations, flexible to your needs. Options include, cover for member to member liability, tournaments and events, employers' liability with a £10 million indemnity limit, directors' and officers' liability with indemnity limit options, personal accident cover and specialist travel cover (with one-off trip and annual cover options).

Tailored cover for martial arts

Our team has over 30 years' experience providing insurance solutions to martial arts instructors, clubs and associations. This expertise allows us to understand and identify the particular risks to which you are exposed and provide a wide range of policies that can be tailored to your needs.

Dojo insurance

We have many years' experience providing cover for dojos and can offer a comprehensive package of cover for your martial arts premises, including buildings, contents, business interruption, money and glass. If you are interested, please complete this Dojo contents enquiry form for a quotation and return it to us.

Martial Arts Insurance FAQs


Do you cover communicable diseases?


This depends:

  • New and renewing policies taken out from 1 December 2020 will not cover this, please read more below and see current policy documents.
  • However existing policy holders who bought before 1 December 2020 continue to be covered until their policy renewal.

As the impact of the coronavirus pandemic is continuing to be felt across the UK and worldwide, all insurers are contemplating changes to their policy wordings.

With effect from 1 December 2020, the martial arts insurer for Towergate, Allianz Insurance plc, will be adding a communicable disease exclusion to the general exclusions within your public and products liability insurance section of cover. 


Can you cover professional martial arts competitions?


No, our martial arts policies do not cover professional competitions.


Who qualifies for instructor public and products liability insurance?


All applicants must be over 18 years of age and have either a black belt or a teaching qualification. They must also be connected to a club or association.


What is member to member cover?


This forms part of the group public and products liability policy and provides cover for one member to another member for negligent injury. This is not a form of personal accident insurance.


Which martial arts weapons and disciplines are not covered?


All declined disciplines and declined weapons are listed below:

  • Bajujitsu
  • Cage Fighting
  • Chin Na
  • Dim Mak
  • Disciplines using pressure points
  • Jobajitsu
  • Kalari
  • Kalaripayattu
  • Kyusho
  • Kyusho Ju Jitsu
  • Mixed martial arts including competitions
  • Musti Yudha
  • No connection to martial arts
  • Payattu
  • Shootfighting
  • Subajutsu
  • Thoda
  • Vajra Mushti

Declined weapons:

  • Japanese bows
  • Japanese long blow and arrows
  • Live bladed weapons
  • Shurieken


What is the difference between Group Public Liability and Instructor Public and Products Liability?


Group Public Liability provides indemnity for your legal liability for damages, including claimant legal costs arising out of accidental injury to any person (other than employees), accidental loss or damage to third party property, nuisance and trespass and member to member indemnity.

Instructor Public and Products Liability provides a personal indemnity to an Instructor for liability arising from their instruction, demonstration or supervision of martial arts activity, including legal defense costs.


What weapon use is accepted?


We cannot accept the use of live bladed weapons on either the Group covers or Instructor Public and Products Liability.


Can a member have instructor Public and Products Liability if they do not have a black belt?


Yes, provided that a senior Instructor can vouch for their experience.


Can I pay for my Instructor Public and Products Liability cover on Credit/Debit card?


Payments are to be made online only. No manual prop forms can be accepted.


What activities are covered under my instructor Public and Products Liability?


We will cover activities which are described on your proposal form or which are subsequently notified to us and accepted.


I already hold instructor Public and Products Liability cover, but I have been asked to teach outside of my Association; am I covered?


Yes, the cover is personal to you as an Instructor, but you have to be attached to an organisation.


I have lost my Instructor Liability Certificate and need a duplicate; can you issue one?


You can login into your account using your username & password and access all of your policy documents free of charge, including your instructor liability certificate.


Do I need to complete a Proposal Form for renewal of my Instructor cover?


Yes, this is a requirement of the insurer.


Why is Personal Accident insurance different to Public and Products Liability cover?


Personal Accident cover provides a benefit (subject to the policy terms) if a member is injured whilst participating in Martial Arts regardless of negligence. Liability cover is an indemnity for Legal Liability.


What is an Open Tournament?


For competitions/events organised by an Association/Club which is open for non-members to take part, the organising Association/Club is required to extend their cover for the duration of the competition/event. The premiums and indemnity levels are shown on the Insurance Cost Summary. We will require the date, venue name, limit of indemnity and payment before cover can be issued.


What is the age limit on the group membership policies?


The minimum age is 4 years, while the maximum age is 70 years. The maximum age will only apply to the Personal Accident policy.


Who does the weekly benefit apply to on the Personal Accident policy?


It applies to members over 16 years of age only, unless the junior member is hospitalised. Benefit will be paid to the junior member for the period of the hospitalisation. The 2-week excess period will apply.


Does our group cover(s) apply outside the UK?


Yes, the policies are Worldwide, but exclude the USA and Canada in respect of Products Liability Cover, though cover only applies to UK domiciled persons.


What is the procedure when we need to claim?


Contact the Allianz claims service on 0344 893 9500 or write to them at:

Allianz Claims
PO Box 10509
51 Saffron Road
LE18 9FP


Further information



We can tailor a package of All Risks cover for your Dojo. The policy can include cover for the buildings, contents, business interruption, money and glass.

Description of Activities

Your insurer covers only those activities which you declared on your original Proposal Form. You must advise us of all activities in which you participate or any additional ones you wish to include to ensure that adequate cover is effective.

Health and Safety

It is important that all adequate and appropriate safety measures have been put into place to ensure accidents are avoided.

Risk Director

Please contact Towergate Insurance for more details.

Membership Records

In the event of a claim, you may be called upon to confirm membership. Please ensure that you keep a record of all members past and present.

Insurers reserve the right to examine membership records. You must ensure that all accidents are recorded for reference in the event of a claim.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 03448 939 500 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim