Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Multi-Property Landlord Insurance

Protect commercial and residential properties with tailored multi property landlord insurance.

  • Loss of rent cover if one of your properties becomes uninhabitable due to an insured peril
  • Add properties to your portfolio at any time
  • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Staggered two floored, flat roofed terraced houses with brick walls on a slope
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4260 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose multi-property landlords insurance with Towergate?

Two tower blocks

Add properties at any time

Add properties at any time and still keep one renewal date for your whole portfolio.

A4 proportioned certificate with rosette

Loss adjuster for landlords claims

Optional cover from Towergate Assist covers the costs of an independent loss adjuster for property claims over £5,000.

Circle with a pound sign in the center and rays around it

Extended loss of rent cover

Ask our advisers about extended loss of rent cover.

Direct Debit icon

Pay by Direct Debit instalments

You can choose to split your multi-property landlord insurance into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

About multi-property landlord insurance

If you’ve got more than one property it’s likely you’ll have quite a lot to manage. To give you one less thing to manage, we can insure all the properties in your portfolio under one policy.

We can cover various types of properties and tenants including unoccupied, students and local authority placements. You can compare prices from a range of insurers so you get the right multi property landlord insurance for you.

Why is multiple property landlord insurance important?

Whilst it is not a legal requirement, the risks of not having landlords insurance are significant if something goes wrong. 

It can offer cover for property owner's employers' liability insurance, loss of rent cover and rebuild costs. You can add properties to your portfolio at any time.

How much does multi-property landlord insurance cost?

Insuring several properties or an entire portfolio of property in one place can save you money.

Firstly, you’ll only pay one admin fee rather than admin fees for multiple policies and secondly, the more properties you add to the policy the cheaper the premium per property.

Landlord building and contents cover

We have a range of buildings and contents insurance available to you via our panel with excesses as low as £100. We can cover for flood, accidental damage and fire, plus malicious damage (if required). Subsidence cover can also be included.

Optional home emergency cover

Landlord home emergency insurance covers emergencies such as leaking and burst pipes, complete failure of gas boilers, central heating systems and main services, and pest infestations. It can be added to your landlords insurance policy for just £112.00 (inclusive of 12% Insurance Premium Tax).

Figure in work clothes and a hard hat

Property owner's employers' liability insurance

If you have a portfolio of properties, you may need to directly employ staff to help you with building maintenance. If that’s the case we have access to multi-property insurance policies, that can include the employers’ liability cover that you require by law. Importantly you should also include property owners’ liability insurance. If members of the public or your tenants injure themselves on your property and you are found responsible, property owners' liability will cover you for any claims for costs or damages which result.

Money bag being held by one hand with another holding the neck of the top

Multi-property landlord loss of rent cover

If one of your properties were to becomes uninhabitable due to fire, flood, or another insured peril, it could take time to complete the repairs. During this time it is possible that the rent your receive >you would not receive any rent from your tenant(s) could also cease, leaving you out of pocket. You can include loss of rent cover for this these circumstances, with a tailored recovery period of up to three years from the date of loss. Your multi-property landlord insurance policy can also optionally include the costs of alternative accommodation for your tenants whilst the property is uninhabitable after an insured damage claim.

House icon with a hammer in one diagonal and a spanner over the hammer in the other diagonal

Rebuild costs for multi property landlords

No matter who you purchase your multi property landlord insurance from, your provider will ask you to provide the cost of rebuilding your property - the building sum insured. This is different from the building’s market value, and specifically refers to the overall costs needed to rebuild and restore your property if it becomes completely destroyed. It’s important that you get this cost right. It must be accurate. It can be a problem if the rebuilding cost of your property is too low when the loss occurs and is less than the actual cost to rebuild. If you needed to make a claim on your buildings, the sum paid out can be proportionately reduced by the percentage amount of underinsurance. Remember to add VAT costs if you’re not VAT registered.

Gravel and sound block

Dedicated loss adjuster for multi-property landlord insurance claims

If you have to make a property claim, we understand that being able to fix a problem quickly may save you time, money and enable you to keep your tenants happy. This cover is very valuable for larger property damage claims over £5,000 (not resulting from subsidence or liability claims), as the service will provide you with a dedicated loss adjuster. The service is provided within 24 hours to advise and assist you in organising alternative accommodation, assessing your loss and options. During the rebuild process the assessors will engage with specialist assistance as needed including builders and surveyors. Please let us know if you would like us to arrange this cover alongside your multi property landlord insurance policy.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Multi-property landlord insurance FAQs

The more properties you put on one policy, the better value for money you get for insuring each one of them. Towergate enables you to cover different property types (commercial, residential or mix) under one policy in the majority of situations.

Speak with one of our advisers if you have any questions about placing a mixed portfolio of properties under one policy.

Insuring several properties or an entire portfolio of property in one place can save you time and money. Our video guide explains how.

Video transcript

If you’ve got more than one property it’s likely you’ll have quite a lot to manage. To give you one less thing to manage, we can insure all the properties in your portfolio under one policy.

You don’t need to worry if you own many different types of property nor do you need to worry if you have different types of tenant in each property. Our policy is flexible enough to accommodate a range of different circumstances.

With our flexi-let policy you can even mix and match the cover you require which enables you to get tailored cover to suit your portfolio.

As well as being more convenient, insuring your properties under one policy can also be cheaper. Firstly, you’ll only pay one admin fee rather than admin fees for multiple policies and secondly, the more properties you add to the policy the cheaper the premium per property.

To find out more about our multi property options, give us a call or go online.

This cover is optional and available for commercial and residential buildings alike. It protects your property should the building and/or its contents suffer direct damage through an act of terrorism. If you have added terrorism cover to your property portfolio landlord insurance, then this will also extend to the loss of rent section.

The cost of your landlord insurance will depend on many factors. Everything from the type of cover you need,  to the property’s location, construction, occupation and values to be insured.

First, you’ll need to choose between building or contents insurance, or a combined landlord insurance including both buildings and landlord’s contents, before setting your specific levels of cover. The type and level of cover you opt for will have an influence on the cost of your insurance.

The size, style and even the roof of your property will also have an impact on how much you pay for your policy. No matter what kind of property you own, your insurance policy should include protection for the rebuilding costs at today’s prices and associated property owners’ liability. Remember, rebuilding costs can amount to far more than the market value of your property.

If the worst happens and your property is destroyed by a fire, you’ll need to allow for a variety of additional costs, including:

  • Debris removal
  • Site clearance
  • Architects and surveyors’ fees
  • Planning permission
  • Other legal and professional fees
  • The possibility that your VAT status may affect your building sum insured. i.e. do you include or exclude VAT in your rebuilding valuation?

Landlord insurance can cover you for loss of rent receivable while your property is uninhabitable, ensuring you still have money coming in until your tenants can move back in. Its important to consider the length of time it will take to fully rebuild the property and ready for full occupation once again. This period is called the maximum indemnity period, and you should take care when assessing this. The minimum period available for loss of rent is normally 12 months, but we recommend longer periods are arranged for at least 24 months, allow for unexpected delays that often occur. Specialist or listed properties can take even longer to rebuild, so it’s important to seek guidance from your surveyor and insurance advisor.

Your landlord insurance will also be affected by the tenants you’ll be welcoming. For example, if you’re going to be renting the property to a professional couple, you may well find that your cover is cheaper than if you’re planning on letting to a group of students. 

Previous claims and the number of properties you insure will also influence the final cost of your insurance, together with any optional additional covers that you may wish to arrange e.g. home emergency cover.

The rebuilding value should include provision for the costs of: demolition and removal of debris, rebuilding materials and labour costs, as well as architects, surveyors and legal fees. As a property owner, you also need to take into account your VAT status. If you are not registered for VAT, then you should include VAT in your sums insured.

Buy to let insurance can cover a range of tenancy types, including lets for professionals, students, DSS tenants, sub-lets and family lets. When you take out your policy, you may choose to add additional cover options too.

Get a Quote

The lease on HMO insurance properties is different and due to the number of people inhabiting the property, the address must be registered as an HMO residence. HMO insurance presents a considerably higher risk as there are multiple occupants, it requires that the premises must be the occupant’s main place of residence or used by students during term time.

Buy to let insurance can cover a range of tenancy types, including lets for professionals, students, DSS tenants, sub-lets and family lets. When you take out your policy, you may choose to add additional cover options too.

To help you manage the cost of your multi property landlord insurance premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Multi-property landlord insurance articles and guides

A Landlord’s Guide to Paying Tax on Rental Income

This guide explains how to calculate your rental income and how to declare it to HMRC, with some helpful tax advice for landlords.

Read more

Character Reference Template for Landlords

As a landlord, you may sometimes have to provide past tenants with character references. Download our template letter and tips on what to write.

Read more

Costs of Being a Landlord

Whilst letting property can be a great way to make money there are still many costs associated with being a landlord.

Read more

Landlord Responsibilities

What responsibilities does a landlord have? Understand your duties as a landlord from health and safety to legal requirements.

Read more