Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Office Insurance

Our office insurance can be tailored to suit all sizes and forms of office business.

  • We cover office contents, fixtures/ fittings, computer and electronic equipment and loss of income
  • We also offer public/employers liability insurance.
  • We can additionally include professional indemnity and cyber liability insurance.
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
A woman standing in a room with a glass wall, pointing with an open hand to a screen on the wall presenting to a group of people sitting at a table
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4300 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose office insurance with Towergate?


Office insurance for your needs

Commercial office insurance tailored for a modern world. If you are visiting clients for service or sales away from your office protect your laptops, loss of data and test equipment anywhere in the UK. Tell us the cover you need


Cover for a range of office types

Office cover for: general admin, sales, design, legal, technical, consultancy, call centre, service, professional, education, VSME, SME & larger offices.


Legal cover for your commercial premises

Commercial office legal expenses cover available, support by 24 hour legal helpline.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

About office insurance


Business interruption cover for your office

If you are unable to use your office after a fire or flood claim during the repair period, the Loss of Income cover under an Office policy will help pay your continuing overheads such as rent and salaries. If you just want to cover the basic increased cost of working to keep your business alive, whilst problems are resolved, then we can tailor this cover for you. You can choose standard loss of income insurance or restrict to increased costs of working only. You can buy online or speak directly to us for a personal service tailored to suit your needs.

Accidental Damage

Office contents insurance

Office Contents insurance covers accidental loss or damage to desks/chairs, copiers, stationery, phone systems, printers, laptops & other computer equipment. (excluding normal wear and tear). Insure the total new replacement value of all contents, as cover is on a new’ for old’ basis. Office insurance can be extended to cover business equipment and laptops away from the office. Computers can also be covered for accidental loss of data and reinstatement of data cost, Please let the team know if this specialist cover is something you require.


Professional indemnity cover

If you're in a business that gives advice then you may want to consider adding professional indemnity cover. Professional indemnity insurance provides legal costs to help you to defend claims made against you for wrongful advice or errors and omissions in connection with your professional services. Ultimately it will pay back legal expenses and the compensation you may have to pay should your client’s claim be upheld in court.


Office liability insurance

If you employ staff, employers' liability is a legal requirement that can easily be built into your office insurance policy. Public liability is a standard feature of a package office policy. This protects you for claims made against you by clients, visitors or members of the public who have been injured or had their property damaged due to negligence of your business activities.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Office insurance FAQs

Public liability insurance – This is to protect you and your customers. As the owner you are responsible for making your office as risk free as possible but accidents inevitably happen. Public liability insurance will cover loss, damage or injury to a third party on your premises. For example – if a customer were to fall and injury themselves whilst visiting your office, your PL cover would pay out if a law suit were to arise.

Employer’s liability insurance – The legal minimum cover is £5 million. Employers’ liability insurance guarantees you have access to adequate funds should you need to compensate a member of your staff for an injury or damage from a situation you, as their employer, are liable for. You should have employer’s liability even for volunteers or freelance workers.

Office buildings insurance - Buildings insurance is only necessary if you own the property and want to insure as part of your complete business insurance. Otherwise the landlord/property owner will have the buildings insured on their own commercial property insurance policy.

That doesn’t mean that improvements you make will automatically be insured on your landlord’s cover. If you install a new kitchen, meeting room or something similar during your tenancy, this should be added to your insurance. As this is paid for and owned by you and so the insuring will be your responsibility.

‘Increased cost of working’ cover – What if you could simply pick up and move property and carry on working as if nothing happened, instead of claiming for business interruption while your building is rebuilt? It’s not for every business but read our explanation of how ‘increased cost of working’ cover could work for you.

Business interruption - If your property becomes ruined your business interruption protection will cover you to continue paying your rent, overheads, wages and other expenses that you need in order to keep your business alive while the problems are resolved.

Indemnity period – Your period of indemnity is the length of time you can claim for business interruption costs.

Office contents insurance - Anything permanently fixed in your office building is covered with the building itself. As a general rule, anything that isn't fixed down needs to be included in your ‘contents insurance’. Sinks, windows, light fittings etc. are therefore part of the building insurance. Desk, computers and cabinets are ‘contents’. If you rent the property your landlord will have their own policy covering the contents that belong to them. For further information speak to your insurance adviser.

Yes, we are able to offer an "All Risks" extension to your office package for items taken away from your office i.e. laptops and other equipment used for external trips & meetings. This will normally be anywhere in the UK but we can always extend this if you travel further afield.

This is only necessary if you own the property, otherwise your landlord is likely to cover this as part of their own insurance policy. If you do own the property, we can help you find buildings insurance as part of your overall office package policy. Check your lease for any insurance clauses.

An office contents policy will normally cover set amount of money on the premises during business hours, with reduced limits overnight unless you have a safe. Depending on the amounts involved there may be terms applied, we will discuss these when arranging cover.

An office has three important aspects that any good insurance policy should keep at its heart.

  • Your premises and equipment (buildings and contents insurance)
  • Your staff and customers (public and employer’s liability insurance)
  • Protection of outgoing costs should you have to stop trading for a period of time (business interruption insurance)

Get these things in place and everything else comes down to the specifics of your business, your preference and of course your budget.

No, our range of insurance packages enables us to deliver the right solution for both start-ups as well as established businesses.

It depends on your circumstances. With many people now working from home, the insurance market is offering a range of solutions. Speak to us and we will advise you on the most suitable options for you.

You should not assume anything, always check as business equipment is not covered by your home insurance as standard. Importantly, you will also need to cover your liabilities for your business activities – public and employers liability cover professional indemnity. All of these will be excluded from most home insurance policies.

You should notify your insurers of any damage to your property even if you think someone else may be responsible. Do not assume that just because the damage was caused by someone else that they are legally liable. The law allows for genuine and fortuitous events and also bear in mind that they might not be insured or in a financial position to pay for your damage, which will cause you delays and interrupt your trading.

Especially in these times, every penny counts. We doubt we could find one small business owner that isn’t concerned with getting the best insurance for a fair price.

The key to finding these mythical policies is to speak to an adviser that knows both the insurance industry and your own industry. Having the knowledge and experience in specialist insurance areas is only half the battle, knowing the concerns and risks that affect your own business, and understanding what you really need is vital to getting the best product.

Especially when no office is the same. You may have an unusual property build, or have free-lance workers, use specialist equipment or do some of your trading outside the office! In any case you want an expert helping you tailor a policy that doesn’t charge for the things you don’t need but equally provides the right cover for your specific business.

You are a business – Have you been running your business for some time without any incidents? Some insurers will see your experience as testament to your ability to run a risk free enterprise and will offer you lower premiums. For office owners with such experience speak to one of our advisers about a possible further discount on your premium.

Multiple properties: consolidate office policies even if different trades - Do you have more than one office or business, or are you looking to grow in the near future? We can provide policies that offer lower premiums and avoid duplicate admin fees when insuring more than one business at the same time, even if they are not the same trading name. Also, if you acquire new properties we can add them ‘pro-rata’, which means that the renewal dates will come up at the same time.

Accidental damage – This cover allows you to claim for damages not caused by any other policy features such as fire, theft, flood etc. It doesn’t always come as standard though so if you want accidental cover to be included in your policy make sure you let your adviser know early on to help them source you the best policy.

As with any insurance policy there will be some exclusions. Make sure you read your policy documents thoroughly to understand what you are responsible for and what is the responsibility of your insurance company. Insurers want to protect themselves from claims for things that are inevitable such as wear and tear but you must also be happy they are agreeing to cover the things that are important for you.

Theft by violent/forced entry – This is an optional cover that protects against theft and break-ins via a forced entry. Insurers generally won’t cover you for a theft that occurs through an unlocked door and will stipulate what security measures you need to have in place before you can be covered. This will extended to public entrances, back doors, windows, out buildings, delivery hatches and service entrances. Make sure you are aware of what the security requirements are for your policy.

Manual work away exclusion – An office is defined as a business based out of a specific type of commercial premises – your office. A policy is usually designed to cover you for the business you do there and extended to cover you for collection and delivery outside this property.

Take for example a hotel bookings service company. The business is run from a normal office but some of the profit and business may come from installation and training on booking software on the customer’s property. The manual work away exclusion states that this type of business needs extra cover, simply because it faces a different type of risk. If the balance tips towards the external work you may even be advised to switch to a ‘commercial combined’ insurance policy which is better suited your business model. An experienced adviser can talk through this with you and explain the benefits of both.

  • Legal cover - Legal cover helps with fees if you are faced with taking legal action against a third party. Not usually found as standard on most commercial insurance policies as it’s not a legal requirement. You can request this from your insurance adviser and they will be able to source you a policy that includes a limit you are happy with.

  • Money cover – It’s rarer these days with the growth of online payments and banking, but you may need cover for cash you take on your premises.

  • All risks – There’s a good chance you have a laptop and a mobile, if nothing else. If these are business assets, you can cover them UK only, EU wide or worldwide, depending on how far you take them.

  • Goods-in-transit – From time to time you may take some samples out to client visits. Like 'all risks', these can be covered whilst out on the road.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Read more FAQs

Office insurance articles and guides

What is Commercial Landlord Insurance?

Find out exactly what commercial landlord insurance is and why it's vital cover for anyone renting out to a third-party business in our useful video.

Read more

Commercial Property: The Rebuild Cost

This article will look at calculating the rebuild cost of commercial property for homeowners and landlords looking for property insurance.

Read more

How to Insure Your Shop’s Stock

Our guide to everything you should consider when calculating the necessary insurance for your business' stock.

Read more