Motor Boat Insurance

Cover for motorboats and speed boats on and off the water. Be ‘marina ready’ with £5m in third-party liability, sighting costs covered and ‘agreed value’ options for special-build motor boats.

About Motor Boat Insurance

Test Icon1

Marina ready motor boat

With up to £5 million in third-party motor boat liability cover.

Test Icon2

Sighting costs covered

If grounded, the reasonable costs to check for damage are included.

Test Icon3

‘Agreed value’ motorboat cover

Option to move to ‘agreed value’ insurance for special-build motor boats.

Test Icon4

Pay by Direct Debit

You can split your motor boat insurance payments into monthly instalments.

Features of Motor Boat Insurance

Standard cover

Third-party liability cover

Be ‘marina ready’ with £5 million in third-party motor boat liability cover. This excludes employees and marine trade workers, fare paying passengers, water skiers, parascenders and divers. Third-party liability for water skiers and towing of toys can be added as an optional extra.

Special-build motorboat insurance

Do you customise your craft to meet your specific needs, but feel uneasy as to whether or not you're adequately insured? That's why we offer an 'agreed value' cover option (as opposed to market value) for your special-build motor boats. Just be sure to check the value of your craft.

Motor boat sighting costs

We understand the need to keep your vessel and family safe if you suspect that you've grounded. You can be rest assured that our motorboat insurance policy will cover the reasonable costs of inspecting the underwater part of the hull of your boat, even if there is no damage found.

Machinery failure cover

We provide machinery failure cover for motorboats under 5 years old as standard. There is also the option to add this cover for motorboats aged between 5 and 10 years.

Motor Boat Insurance FAQs


What happens if I cannot visit my motor boat during the Covid-19 pandemic?


We understand that due to the Covid-19 outbreak you may be unable to visit your boat. Read our FAQs for this situation.


I have some expensive equipment onboard. Will this be covered on and off the water?


Our motorboat and speed boat insurance policies cover a number of items, including things you’d carry on your person such as digital compasses, or pocket knives. These smaller items do have a single article limit of £300. However, you can also cover more expensive items such as onboard GPS equipment and outboard motors. All you need to do is let us know what you’d like covered, so we can include it in your sums insured. Please let us know if you would like to cover any items over the £300 single article limit.


Are there any restrictions on my cruising range?


Yes. For example, we can’t usually cover you in the Caribbean or the Baltic seas. You’ll also need to let us know if you want to change your cruising range from what you originally agreed when you set up your motorboat or speed boat policy. See the question below for more detail.


If I need to make changes to my policy, can I do this half way through?


Things never stand still in the world of boating, so if you’ve installed the latest gadget and you need your sums insured updated or you’ve changed your mooring arrangements or cruising range, give us a call and we’ll update your motor boat insurance policy.


Do I need to get my motor boat surveyed?


If your GRP boat is over 35 years old, we will require sight of the survey. Furthermore, you will need your craft to be evaluated every 10 years thereafter. Wooden or steel boats need to be surveyed at 30 years old, and then every 5 years after.


Can I get third-party liability cover for older craft?


Yes, we also provide liability for those actively using older motor boats on slipways or launching onto the water. It meets most requirements for inland waters, such as The Thames, Norfolk Broads, lakes, and canals. This third-party cover product includes the removal and disposal of wrecked craft, as well as the re-floating and removal of damaged craft (under 60 years old).


How do I qualify for discounts on my premium?


In some ways, motor boat insurance works like car insurance. If you’re an experienced driver and you keep your car in a garage at home, your premium will be lower. Similarly, if you’re an experienced boater with an RYA qualification who keeps their boat in a marina, we’ll offer you discounts on your premium. Also, let us know if you have any RYA powerboat qualifications to take advantage of further discounts.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your motor boat insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium bimonthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


Where can I find full details of my policy?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0330 018 2292 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim