Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Motorhome Insurance

  • Unlimited windscreen cover
  • Breakdown assistance cover as standard
  • 365 days EU cover
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Family of two parents and three kids walking in a field with their dog as the sun sets
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

Why choose Motorhome insurance with Towergate?


Breakdown cover

AA UK and European breakdown cover included as standard.

Jug with cracks across surface

Unlimited windscreen cover

We will pay for the replacement or repair of any damaged glass in your motorhome. 

Line drawing of sun

365 days EU cover

You'll be protected when travelling abroad in your motorhome. 

Five sided house shape with a door

Emergency accommodation

Emergency overnight accommodation and travel expenses.

About motorhome insurance


Public liability cover

We will pay all the amounts you may become legally responsible for if you:

  • cause the accidental death of or bodily injury to any person; or
  • cause accidental damage to anyone’s property.

Cover is limited to £20,000,000 including all costs (or any higher limits provided for by local legislation in territories outside the United Kingdom but within the territorial limits) for any one occurrence or series of occurrences arising from one cause; as a result of the use of your motorhome and any trailer or caravan being towed by it or any other vehicle which your certificate of insurance allows you to use.

Cover we provide for other people

We will cover the following people for legal liabilities to others:

  • Anyone you allow to drive or use your motorhome as long as they are named on your certificate of insurance and the schedule and are using your motorhome within the limitations of use.
  • Anyone travelling in, getting into or out of your motorhome.
  • The employer of anyone you allow to drive or use your motorhome as long as they are allowed by your certificate of insurance.

Your legally appointed representatives

After the death of anyone who is insured under Section 1 of your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance Policy, we will protect that person’s estate against any liability they had if that liability is insured under your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance Policy.

Legal fees and expenses

If there is an accident insured under Section 1 of your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance Policy we will arrange and pay for:

  • a solicitor or barrister to represent anyone insured under Section 1 at a coroner’s inquest or criminal court.
  • defending anyone insured under Section 1 if they are charged with manslaughter or causing death by reckless or dangerous driving; or
  • any cost we give our written agreement to.
Jug with cracks across surface

Loss or damage to your motor home

We will, at your request, pay for:

  • loss of or damage to your motorhome up to the market value of your motorhome; and
  • the cost of protecting and removing your motorhome to the nearest repairer and the cost of delivering your motorhome back to you after it has been repaired.
  • if your motorhome is on lease hire, we may be required to make our payment to the owners. In that event, our payment will be in full and final settlement of our liability under Part B.

Replacing your motorhome

We will, subject to your consent and that of other interested parties, replace your motorhome with a new one of the same make, model and specification of the motorhome if it is:

  • stolen and not recovered within 28 days of you
  • reporting the theft to us; or
  • damaged so that the cost of repair is more than 60% of the price of an identical new motorhome at the time of loss or damage (based on the United Kingdom list price, inclusive of tax).

We will only do this if:

  • you have owned your motorhome (or it has been hired to you under a hire-purchase agreement) since it was first registered as new;
  • the loss or damage happens before your motorhome
  • is two years old;
  • the recorded mileage of your motorhome is not greater than 15,000 miles;
  • we have your permission or the hire-purchase company’s permission to replace your motorhome;
  • your motorhome is in current production and immediately available in the UK.


We will pay up to £500 in respect of portable generators used solely in connection with your motorhome, provided at the time of the incident giving rise to a claim the portable generator was contained in or on your motorhome or connected thereto.

If the generator is permanently fixed, this falls under the definition of your motorhome as a fixture and fitting and is covered up to the market value.


If we are going to settle your claim by replacing your motorhome or by paying you the market value, your motorhome will become our property.

If your motorhome has a cherished registration plate you will retain this.

Obsolete and Spare Parts

If any part or accessory is not available the most we will pay for that part will be the cost shown in the manufacturer’s last UK price list, plus the fitting cost.

If the part is not listed in the manufacturers last United Kingdom price list we will pay the cost of an equivalent part plus the fitting cost.

Circle with a pound sign in the center and rays around it

Windscreens and windows (Comprehensive cover)

If the glass in your motorhome is damaged, we will pay for its replacement of repair. We will also pay for repairs to your motorhome’s bodywork if scratched by broken glass.

Provided there is no other loss or damage and no claim is made under any section of your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance Policy, any claim for payment made for glass replacement or repair under this section will not affect your no claims discount.

Camera icon

Personal belongings (Comprehensive cover)

As part of our comprehensive motorhome insurance policy, you have cover of up to £2,000 for personal belongings. This includes, linen, cutlery, utensils, furnishings, clothing, and other camping equipment used in conjunction with your motorhome.

This does not include property taken from an unlocked vehicle or property which has not been properly protected from loss or damage. In respect of awnings, gas cylinders and generators, we will pay up to £1,000.

Five sided house shape with a door

Emergency overnight accommodation / travel expenses

Following an accident covered under Section 1 of your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance Policy where you are unable to use your Accident Recovery Service to transport the person or pets being carried to the intended destination due to:

  • Hospitalisation of any persons in your motorhome
  • Your domestic dogs or cats needing veterinary care, or
  • Any person in your motorhome being required to help the police with their enquiries

We will pay for:

  • Emergency overnight accommodation for one night for up to 6 people
  • Travel expenses for any person or pet being carried in your motorhome

The maximum amount we will pay is £250.

Person running with bag in their hand

Contents and valuables

We will pay up to £3,000 subject to the limits shown below, in respect of loss of or damage to contents and/or valuables caused by theft or attempted theft or an accident.


(a)         £500 any one article (including valuables)

(b)         £500 overall in respect of valuables

When you need to make a claim, we'll help you through the process by putting you in contact with the insurers to get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information to hand.
  • Report the accident to the Safeguard Accident and Claims Service 24 hour claim line on
  • Your Schedule will have details of the number you need to call if you have a claim under section 1 whilst driving in Europe.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Motorhome FAQs

See the checklist below; if these match you and your vehicle, then you may qualify for a quote.

  • You are between the age of 21 and 79
  • The vehicle you wish to insure is registered and normally kept in Great Britain.
  • You will be using it for social domestic, and pleasure purposes only
  • The motorhome is no more than 29m in length

You can add one additional driver to your motorhome insurance policy.

Safeguard’s motorhome insurance includes UK and European breakdown cover, as long as your motorhome is less than 20 years old. Cover for any road trips in the EU is included as standard, 365 days per year.

This cover includes roadside assistance, towage and any repairs in the garage (up to the value of £250 for motorhomes up to 3.5 tonnes (3,500 kg), and up to the value of £2,000 for vehicles above 3.5 tonnes.)

Yes. Provided you have been five years claims free on your motorhome insurance, you will have the option to protect your No Claims Bonus.

If you are in the UK and your motorhome breaks down:

  • call Safeguard Assistance on 0800 269 325

If you are in Europe and your motorhome breaks down:

  • call Safeguard Assistance on: Europe: 00 33 472 17 12 03

If you are in France and your motorhome breaks down:

  • Call Safeguard Assistance on 0472 171203

It is not possible to suspend your Safeguard motorhome insurance during winter. Even when you are not making use of your motorhome, having motorhome insurance is a legal requirement and your vehicle must be insured against risks such as storm damage and theft.

We can provide motorhome insurance for classic motorhomes, American RVs and campervans.

We will not cover loss or damage or legal liability directly or indirectly caused by:

  • ionising radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the burning of nuclear fuel; or
  • the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other dangerous properties of any explosive nuclear machinery or any part of it.

We will not cover loss, damage, injury or liability as a result of:

  • earthquake;
  • underground fire; or
  • war, invasion, revolution or any similar event
  • Actual or threatened terrorism or any similar event, or action to control, prevent or stop any terrorist event. (Terrorism is any illegal action involving violence, force or danger to people or property that appears

to be intended to:

–            cause fear among the people of a country or state;

–            disrupt any part of the economy of a government, country or state; or

–            affect the policy or conduct of a government.)

However, we will provide the cover you need to meet the requirements of any compulsory insurance legislation in force within the territorial limits.

We will not cover any claim or damage arising while your motorhome is being:

  • driven by anyone who is not mentioned in the “Person or classes of persons entitled to drive” section noted in the current certificate of insurance; or
  • used for a purpose which is not permitted by the certificate of insurance;. However, this exception does not apply to:
  • claims under Part B (Loss of or damage to your motorhome); and
  • the cover given to you (and to no other person) under Part A (Your liability to others) whilst your motorhome is being used without your authority or by a motor trader for servicing or repair.

We will not cover any loss, damage or liability caused by riot or civil commotion outside Great Britain, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands other than is necessary to meet any compulsory motor insurance legislation.

Any loss or damage caused by or arising from riot, mildew, insects, woodworm, vermin, dyeing or cleaning of contents contained within your motorhome.

Any damage caused deliberately by you or anyone else insured under your Safeguard Motorhome Insurance Policy.

Loss or damage caused by water gradually entering your motorhome through seams or seals.

We will not pay more than our legal liability under compulsory motor insurance legislation for any claim, if the driver of your motorhome, at the time of the accident

  • is found to be over the permitted limit for alcohol
  • is unfit to drive through drink or drugs, whether prescribed or otherwise
  • fails to provide a sample of breath, blood or urine when required to do so, without lawful reason

If we are obliged to make a payment in such circumstances we reserve the right to seek to recover any such amounts from you or the driver of your motorhome.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Read more FAQs

Caravan insurance articles and guides

Buying and Owning a Second-Hand Touring Caravan

Seasoned pro or novice camper, find all you need to know in our guide to choosing, buying, and caring for your used touring caravan.

Read more

How to Find Out the Value of Your Touring Caravan

A guide to finding the new for old or market value of your touring caravan for insurance purposes.

Read more

Winter Touring Tips

Winter landscapes and more peaceful sites can make caravanning in winter worthwhile. If you're braving the cold, here's how to keep your caravan insulated and warm.

Read more

Touring Caravan Insurance Buyer's Guide

Touring caravan insurance can be difficult to understand. So we've put this brief guide together to help you find your way through it with ease.

Read more

A Guide to Caravan Security Devices

A caravan is an expensive investment, so it's important to keep it safe and secure. We've put together a simple guide to caravan security devices.

Read more

Caravan Theft Hotspots

New data reveals when and where your caravan is most likely to be stolen across the UK.

Read more