Photography Insurance

Expert insurance for multimedia businesses and professional photographers. We also offer specialist aviation cover for commercial use of drones, and a fast and efficient claims service so nothing gets in your way. Our photography insurance can offer up to 90 days EU and worldwide cover.

About Photography Insurance

Camera Travel

Photography equipment covered in aircraft holds

Subject to the equipment being in a locked Peli Case or similar protective casing.


New for old photography equipment insurance

In the event of a total loss, you get the latest equivalent model as a replacement.


Professional claim assistance

Expert advice and in-house team to help you deal with claims quickly and efficiently.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments.

Features of Photography Insurance

Standard cover

Professional photographer insurance

Start by insuring your photography equipment then add specific cover from the range of options listed below to build a policy fit for you. Cover is flexible and can be built to suit the exact insurance requirements of your business. You’ll have the option to add further cover as you go.

Cover for unexplained theft of photography equipment

We provide comprehensive cover for unexplained theft of photography equipment. This includes theft of your camera and other equipment from unattended vehicles.

Cover for commercial drones

We offer a specialist aviation insurance and claims service for commercial use of drones, covering multiple drones and unlimited pilots, and meeting EU regulations. Our commercial drones insurance makes no exclusions / distinctions between hazardous and non-hazardous locations.

Specialist photography insurance

Our photographer cover can be tailored to your needs depending on individual circumstances and working patterns, including for freelancers. Hired in-equipment option can also be added to your photography insurance policy.

Photography Insurance FAQs


How do I know the value of the camera equipment I want to insure?


We replace your items on a new for old basis so; in the unfortunate event of a total loss you get the latest equivalent model as a replacement. By checking how much an equivalent replacement costs in the market today, you will get a good idea of the value you should insure your own equipment for. Don’t forget, if you are VAT-registered you can deduct this element from your total value.


Is my equipment covered abroad?


We have a variety of covers available to suit your travel arrangements, from UK cover, to UK and Europe cover, to worldwide. Our standard cover is UK and 45 days worldwide; you do not need to notify us when you go abroad unless you exceed 45 days in any one policy year. If worldwide cover is selected, travel cover is unlimited; however, a maximum trip limit of 90 days in any one trip is applicable.

If you have any queries in respect of cover abroad, please contact us.


Do I need to provide you with a list of my equipment?


The answer is no provided you have receipts and invoices for your equipment in the event of a claim. If you are concerned that you may not have these then please supply an equipment list, and this can be good business practice to make sure that your sum insured is always adequate.


Is my equipment covered in the hold of an aircraft?


Yes, full cover is extended to equipment within the hold of an aircraft subject to the equipment being in a locked Peli Case or similar protective casing. 


Is my equipment covered if I am distracted and it is stolen?


Yes, we have Towergate Insurance (Camerasure) policies that provide cover for 'open theft' and this would include opportunist. This means we do not require signs of forcible or violent, entry or exit for the theft cover to be in force.


Under my previous insurance I made a claim, will this affect my cover?


We only need to know about claims you have made in the last five years. Each claim is considered on an individual basis and though some may have no effect on your policy, others might. Just make sure you let us know and we will talk you through it, failure to disclose a claim can invalidate your cover.


Do I have to pay an excess in the event of a claim?


Yes, Towergate Insurance (Camerasure) photography insurance excesses vary but full details can be found on your policy documents or you can contact one of the team.


Can you cover my drone for commercial use?


Yes, we have teamed up with a leading Lloyds aviation insurer to offer you a specialist aviation cover and claims service for commercial users of drones. We can provide expert liability and hull protection backed up by a team of aviation claims specialists. They have access to lawyers who are experienced in working with some of the largest global aviation operators and the complex liability issues that can arise.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your photography insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium by monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


Are there any exclusions?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to your insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Give us a call

on 01489 770325 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim