Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Military Insurance

We provide tailor made home and kit cover for military personnel, with specialist military insurance advisers available to help.

  • Specialist insurance for the armed forces
  • Cover for military kit and travel, and personal home contents and possessions
  • Personal accident insurance to cover you when other insurers may not

Call us on 01242 533 784 or see specific products below.

01242 533 784
01242 533 784

+44 outside UK. Weekdays 9am - 5pm
Can’t get through right now? Request a callback

What is military insurance and what does it cover?

Our armed forces insurance can offer you worldwide cover for your military kit and uniform, personal possessions, home and room contents, and military deployments. Our personal accident insurance also aims to cover you when other insurers won't.

We provide a wide range of military insurance policies, whether you serve in the Army, RAF, Marines or another part of the military. We offer forces insurance that protects your kit, contents and home. Our military insurance range has been developed for those with an understanding of what military life is like whilst serving and whilst in regular civilian life.

We understand as part of military life you’re often on the move, which can mean experiencing loss or damage of goods whilst travelling from one place to the next. As such, our policies can provide cover for your goods to the value of the contents sums insured whilst they are in transit, as long as it is a result of any MOD posting.

We offer a range of policies that provide cover for damage to service accommodation, or ‘licence to occupy’,which covers you for any damage caused whilst living in any MOD based accommodation up to the value of £20,000. We can also provide 'new for old' cover on most military insurance items, meaning we will try to replace your goods with the same item or the closest equivalent model.

Accidental damage and loss can also be included, though general wear and tear and mechanical breakdown are not covered.

Compare our three military insurance policies below
Cover for:Military Kit Insurance – Right Dress Basic Kit & Contents Insurance - Right Dress Kit & HomeHome Owner's Insurance - Right Dress Advantage
Personal effects
Licence to occupy
Home contents
Home owner's insurance    

If you'd like to include personal accident cover, legal expenses or insurance for your excess please speak with a member of the team.

Military insurance video guides

Guide to military home insurance

In this video we’ll take you through the key points of military home insurance and explain them in straightforward terms.

Military Kit Insurance Explained

When in the military you don’t want to be worrying about losing an important part of your issued uniform or kit getting lost or going wrong. Find out how military kit insurance can provide worldwide cover in this video.

Military Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from Towergate:

Military Insurance Glossary


A Military Insurance Glossary

There are several different policies designed for the armed forces to cover different stages in your career as well as aspects of your home life. This article breaks down the military insurance policies available, who they apply to and what they can cover.

Do I need military insurance?

Our military insurance is designed to take away the stress of worrying about lost or damaged uniform, kit or home contents. Think for example how you might feel if you misplace or break your phone whilst on deployment and are unable to contact your home and family. You can request cover that takes away these worries and enables you to focus on your crucial work.

Our policies are constructed specifically for military personnel with your job roles and situations in mind. We offer military personnel the comfort of knowing that they will have the support of a knowledgeable adviser if something goes wrong with their home contents, personal possessions or uniform and kit.

How much does military insurance cost?

Our military insurance policies cover a variety of different risks, and therefore it's difficult to give an average cost. However, with a range of policies available, our military insurance advisers can recommend the most appropriate cover for you.

What military insurance do I need?

We offer three main military insurance policies, based on your requirements:

Right Dress Basic (BA) - These policies are typically for personnel fresh out of training living in single serving accommodation, offering a fixed cover for issued uniform and kit. It also gives you a level of cover for your personal effects and the ability to have the contents of your room covered.

Right Dress Kit and Home (RD) - This policy is a natural progression for people moving into married quarters or serving personnel that live alone. It also offers you the ability to give us a specific value for your kit cover depending on your role, meaning we can give you a more personalised approach to your policy.

Right Dress Advantage (AD) - This policy is designed for military personnel no longer living in rented MOD accommodation and has moved onto purchasing their home. This policy allows you to cover your home for buildings insurance as well as offering cover for your contents and personal effects.

All include cover for your kit, licence to occupy and home contents as standard. Right Dress Advantage includes homeowner's insurance.

You can also include personal accident cover, legal expenses or insurance for your excess; just speak to our military insurance advisers.

Military insurance policy exclusions explained

The full list of exclusions will be laid out in your policy documents but there are a few common exclusions worth noting, including:

  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown for mobiles, laptops, tablet computers and pedal cycles is not covered on your policy. However these items are covered for theft and accidental damage.

  • Service firearms and ancillaries are not something we can provide cover for.

  • Unoccupied homes are not covered for loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft. If your home will be unoccupied it is best to discuss with us, so give the team a call.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.