Professional Indemnity Insurance

We can cover a huge range of different professions with the right professional indemnity insurance for you and your business.

About Professional Indemnity Insurance


24-hour legal advice

Helpline always available for all PII policy holders


Range of cover limits

Different levels of professional indemnity insurance limits to suit your needs


Professional claim assistance

Legal and expert advice to help you with claims you face

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Features of Professional Indemnity Insurance

Standard cover

Protection against compensation claims

There is no limit in the UK as to how much a compensation claim could be. This means a serious case could be in the thousands or even millions of pounds. Professional indemnity insurance protects you by covering the legal defence costs of a claim and ultimately will pay compensation awarded against you if you are at fault.

Professional indemnity insurance from £1-10 million

Depending on your profession, your turnover and your industry, you’ll want different levels of public liability and professional indemnity insurance. That’s why we’re flexible on the different aspects of our cover and each limit is set by you. We offer professional indemnity insurance ranging from £1 million to £10 million with worldwide cover and jurisdiction available for many professions. Interest free monthly payments are available from some Insurers.

Professional indemnity insurance available instantly

Do you need to start trading today, or tendering for a public contract? Call us today for a full requirement review and quote over the phone. Your policy can start immediately. We’ll email you the documents on the same day and send out paper copies within 24 hours.

Combine your liability and business covers

Professional indemnity insurance is only one part of a complete business insurance [LINK] package. Depending on what you do and who you employ, you may also require public liability [LINK] and employers' liability cover [LINK]. Speak to us today to understand the best combination of cover to keep your business fully protected.

Professional Indemnity Insurance FAQs


Is it essential that I take out professional indemnity insurance?


Whilst indemnity insurance is not required by law, it is a type of insurance that the vast majority of businesses could not do without, particularly when you are giving advice. Just having a claim raised against you, regardless of whether it’s founded or even successful, can be timely and very costly. Our professional indemnity cover provides legal defence costs from the outset. If the claimant is successful and you have given wrongful advice, the policy will pay compensation awarded against you. It’s also true that many professional trade organisations and institutions require you to have minimum levels of indemnity insurance before becoming authorised or a member.


How do I know how much professional indemnity cover I need?


Insurance Brokers and Insurers cannot tell you what levels of cover you require, but we can  provide a variety of options  including a combination of indemnity limits and the first amount of any claim that you will be responsible for i.e. the excess.  It is essentially your responsibility to take out adequate cover, although our advisers can go through your options over the phone and explain how you might want to calculate this cost. Many industry organisations and professional bodies will likely be able to offer you guidance as many will have minimum insurance requirements for authorisation or membership. Remember to review your customers contractual requirements, as these will often specify the limits of indemnity and the number of years they would expect you to arrange cover from the start date of contract


I only work from home, do I still need professional indemnity insurance?


Professionals offering advice or providing professional services from home can still accidentally breach their professional duty of care by giving wrongful advice or making mistakes. Such errors can be costly - particularly when you are found to be at fault.


I need more than just professional indemnity. Can you provide all my business insurance?


The answer depends on your business activities. We can readily provide public, products and employers' liability insurance packaged together with professional indemnity insurance in one combined package. In addition to protecting your liabilities, we can also offer business insurances cover for loss or damage to commercial property, buildings, office contents, stock and computer equipment (including loss of data.) and business interruption cover for loss of income.


How much liability insurance do I need?


We can advise you on a variety of liability insurances and will establish your needs. If you have employees, you will need Employer’s liability cover by law. Also if you supply products you’ll have exposure for claims arising out of the supply of faulty products. i.e. products liability. What we can’t tell you is the specific indemnity limit of the sole traders liability insurance you should take out. It’s very unique to your business and may sometimes be influenced by your customers or local councils’/authorities’ requirements.

It’s important that you review the levels that you arrange, as these need to be increased to reflect awards made by courts which tend to increase over time, either due inflation or regulation. It is well worth speaking to local authorities and councils to see if they have any minimum requirements you should adhere to.


What happens if I retire or cease trading?


When you stop trading or retire, there is still the chance that a claim may arise out of work that you will have completed in the past. Even if unfounded, any claim for breach of professional duty will cost you money to defend. Therefore, it is important that you arrange professional Indemnity cover arising out of past work for a period of time after you have ceased trading. This is known as Professional Indemnity run off cover. Professions such as Chartered Accountants or Surveyors and solicitors are required to arrange this for periods up to 6years after closing down by way of professional bodies and the law society.


Do I receive a discount on professional indemnity insurance as a member of a professional association?


Many of our customers are eligible for a discount on their insurance simply by being a member of a professional association or industry body. What’s more, for many of these, we offer dedicated wordings especially tailored to your profession, meeting the standards required by professional bodies. This means you can get specific cover with great discounts! Speak to one of our advisers to find out how much you can save.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Give us a call

on the number in your policy document and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim