Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

About IT Contractors Insurance

Direct Debit

IT contractors cover by Direct Debit

Pay your IT contractors insurance in 10 instalments through Direct Debit.


Civil liability claims

Our professional consultants insurance covers against civil liability claims.


Solicitor fees for defence cases

Our IT contractors cover includes solicitors fees for defence cases.


IT contractors complaints cover

Complaints of misconduct against you are covered by our IT contractors insurance.

Features of IT Contractors Insurance

Standard cover

Tailored IT contractors insurance

We offer tailored IT contractors cover to meet your specific needs.

Civil liability claim cover

Our IT contractors insurance can include public liability (for between £1 million and £5 million), products liability, professional indemnity, and libel and slander cover. We can also add employer's liability cover. You are covered to work anywhere in the world (except the US and Canada). 

Retrospective professional indemnity cover for IT contractors

Claims against you for past cases, for any professional work before you took out our IT contractors insurance, can also be covered.

Optional IT contractors covers

If you work from home, we can provide specialist home insurance. We also offer discounts for members of professional bodies.

IT Contractors Insurance FAQs


Do I need loss of income insurance? Is this covered?


We do offer loss of income and business interruption insurance as well as various other business insurances, but not as part of IT contractors insurance package. If you require any of these covers, we can provide them via our business insurance department. One of our advisers will be able to assist you with this.


How do I know how much public liability cover I need with my IT contractors insurance?


As every profession is open to different risks and claims are unforeseeable events, it's not possible for us to safely recommend any specific level of cover. Our main advice at this point is to select the highest amount of cover you can reasonably afford.

We can, however, offer full flexibility on your professional consultants insurance policy, meaning that if you need to raise or lower the level of cover at any time, we can accommodate this easily. Some organisations require their members to have a certain level of cover, so it may be worth checking if you are a member of a professional body.


Do I still need insurance after I stop working as an IT contractor?


You may want to consider run-off cover to provisionally cover you against any claim taken against you for work done whilst you were contracting. Our advisers will be able to set this up for you at the end of your policy.


Is my equipment covered?


This IT contractors insurance policy is designed to cover the practitioner, not a business or property.

If you require these extra covers, we can provide the extra cover at the same time with a business or home insurance policy that can provide the relevant cover for your stock, cash, premises, etc.


Can I pay for IT contractors insurance in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim