Shop Insurance

Whether you are on the high street or out of town, our shop insurance policy covers stores from cards to cycles to coffee, and more.

  • Backed by leading insurers to help keep you open all hours.
  • Cover for all types of shops.
  • Quickly compare shop insurance quotes from leading insurers

Call us on 0333 060 3643 or get a quote online.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Woman looking at a digital tablet in her hands with shelves of shoes along side and behind her.
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose shop insurance with Towergate?

Head and shoulders of a women

Insurance for a wide range of retail businesses

We can cover a wide range of shops, from small to large and from florists to newsagents and lots more.

Two towers side by side

Cover for high risk stock and contents

Our shop insurance can include high risk goods such as wines, spirits, cigarettes and tobacco leather and designer goods.

Head and shoulders of a man in a jumper with a neck tie

Leading range of insurers

Choose from our panel of trusted providers.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

We offer a quick and easy Direct Debit instalment scheme so you can spread payment over ten months.

About shop insurance

Rosette head with a blue tick

Stock and contents cover for your shop

You should include your shelves, racking, till systems, stock and high-risk goods like alcohol, tobacco and designer items within your shop's contents insurance. If you'd like to add cover for frozen stock, cover for seasonal stock increases in stock or cover for goods in transit these options are also available.

A shop front with awning

Glass cover for retail premises

It's common for shop owners to be responsible for the glass within the store, including glass in cabinets and showcases, as well as the shop front. Therefore, we give you the choice to cover it as part of your policy. If your glass display is completely unique, we can specify this within the cover to ensure that if it is accidentally damaged you will have cover to replace it as it was before. Policy excess will apply.

House icon with a hammer in one diagonal and a spanner over the hammer in the other diagonal

Retail business interruption cover

Whether you have experienced a break-in or a burst pipe and have had to close-up shop whilst repairs are carried out, we can provide business interruption insurance to protect your fixed costs in the meantime. Business Interruption covers you for the loss of gross profit suffered due to a reduction in trading whilst you were closed.

Head and shoulders of a women

Public and employers' liability cover for shops

If you have employees your Shop package policy will automatically include employers’ liability cover to meet your legal requirements. Public and products liability insurance are also included as standard. Public liability keeps you covered for legal defence costs if a member of the public is accidentally injured or their property gets damaged while in your premises. Product liability insurance covers the compensation costs when someone is injured by a faulty product that your shop has sold.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call us on 0344 346 0586 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - you're covered!
Get a Quote

Shop insurance FAQs

A shop insurance package policy is specifically tailored for the needs of a retail business. The main elements that it should cover are your contents and stock, business interruption, money, combined liability cover for employers, product and public liability as well as glass. We can include cover for the building if you own them.

If you run a retail business from a commercial property, you’ll want a retail insurance policy tailored to your exact requirements.

This is for shops and other businesses whose stock values fluctuate at different times of the year. For example, a school uniform retailer will have more stock in August/September, whereas other businesses such as toy and gift shops would increase their stocks prior to and over Christmas. The policy will normally include a 25 to 30% seasonal increase in stock over Easter, bank holidays and 30 days prior to Christmas. We can tailor the months to meet your needs.

This cover allows your ‘sums insured’ to be increased by an agreed percentage for your busy times of the year, helping to keep your costs down. Make sure you let our team know if you'd like to add this cover.

‘Loss of license’ insurance can cover reduction in value of your business due to loss of your wines and spirits licence at the premises. This cover is not included as standard so please ask the team for full details.

Glass cover is normally included on a shop policy as standard. However, you may need to include the shopfront if your lease makes your responsible for damage caused to it. If you have a unique window display or a particularly large proportion of glass on your shop front, speak to the team to make sure it’s covered correctly.

Yes, ATMs both inside and built into the walls of your shop can be covered on this policy. Do remember that you must make the team aware of this to ensure you are adequately covered as this can increase the risks of theft and break-in.

We can provide cover for stock sold online and any exports you make to outside of the UK. It is very important that you let the team know when running through your details to ensure they provide you with the correct policy for your needs. In addition to products liability, you will also need to consider if goods in transit insurance is needed for deliveries.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Shop insurance is primarily focused on retail businesses that are run from a commercial property. If you have a pub, hotel, restaurant or own a commercial property which you rent out to other businesses you may well want a policy more specified to your risk.

A specialist insurer will be able to understand the specific risks of your business depending on the type of retail shop you run and will be able to create a tailored policy to suit your business needs.

Commercial property package policies are made up of various types of insurance cover which are designed to cover the standard risks for a particular industry. For example, a shop insurance package may offer glass cover for the shop window or seasonal adjustment cover for months when stock levels are likely to be higher. Package policies can be a cost-effective way of getting cover designed to suit the needs of your business.

Manual work away exclusion - A shop is defined as a business based from a specific commercial premises – your shop. A policy is usually designed to cover you for the business you do there and sometimes extended to cover you for collection and delivery outside this property.

However, take for example a kitchen show room. Kitchens are sold from the shop but some of the profit and business may come from installation on the customer’s property. The manual work away exclusion states that this type of business needs extra cover, simply because it faces a different type of risk. If the balance tips towards the external work, you may even be advised to switch to a ‘commercial combined’ insurance policy which might be better suited your business model. An experienced adviser can talk through this with you and explain the benefits of both.

Accident damage - This cover allows you to claim for damages not caused by any other features such as fire, theft, flood etc. This doesn’t always come as standard so if you want accidental cover to be included in your policy make sure you let your adviser know early on to help them source you the best policy. As with any insurance feature there will be some exclusions. Make sure you read your policy documents thoroughly to understand what you are responsible for and what your insurance company is responsible for. 

Theft by violence/forced entry - This is an optional cover that protects against theft and break-ins via a forced entry. Insurers generally won’t cover you for a theft that occurs through an unlocked door and will stipulate what security measures you need to have in place before you can be covered. This will extend to public entrances, back doors, windows, out buildings, delivery hatches and service entrances. Make sure you are aware of what the security requirements are for your policy.

Commercial kitchens/serving food - If you do a high level of cooking and have a frying range, this could add a few stipulations to your policy, or maybe make you ineligible entirely. This is due to the increased fire risk a frying range is deemed to add. It is key that this is highlighted and covered adequately so if you have any uncertainty its best to check with one of our advisers.


Read more FAQs

Shop insurance articles and guides

How to Insure Your Shop’s Stock

Our guide to everything you should consider when calculating the necessary insurance for your business' stock.

Read more

Commercial Property: The Rebuild Cost

This article will look at calculating the rebuild cost of commercial property for homeowners and landlords looking for property insurance.

Read more

Making Tax Digital for Businesses

Making Tax Digital (MTD) will affect all businesses and is a key element of the government’s plans to make it easier for businesses and individuals.

Read more