Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Car excess Insurance

Car insurance excess cover from £35 per year from insurance4carhire, to cover excess on your motor policy.

  • Three levels of motor excess cover for residents of the UK and the Isle of Man.
  • Unlimited number of claims.
  • UK based support
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
A girl in her car seat giggling with a father beside her standing through her door laughing with his hand on her torso
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4300 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose car excess insurance with Towergate?


Three levels available

Three levels of motor excess cover for residents of the UK and the Isle of Man.


Named drivers cover

Motor excess cover for all named drivers over the age of 18.


Unlimited number of claims

Claim an unlimited number of times (up to the maximum Motor Excess Reimbursement policy limit).

Direct Debit icon

Pay for your car excess insurance by Direct Debit

You can split your payments into instalments

About car excess insurance


Car excess cover for private vehicles

This car excess policy is suitable for any private motor vehicle with up to 9 seats, which is already insured for social, domestic and pleasure or class one business use (if you're using your car as part of your job).


Multiple claims on car excess insurance

We can only reimburse you up to the maximum reimbursement limit shown in your insurance certificate, but you are welcome to claim more than once during the period of cover if it falls within that limit.


UK car excess cover

To qualify for this car excess insurance product, you must be a permanent resident in the UK or the Isle of Man and covers incidents that occur anywhere in these territories.


Buy now, start your policy later

You can take out a policy up to 364 days before you want your policy to start. Your policy will run for a 12-month period from your selected start date. This means that even if you purchase your policy months in advance, it’ll only start when it suits you.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1770 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Car excess insurance FAQs

An excess is the amount you have to pay in the event of a claim on your insurance policy. Generally, the larger the excess the lower your insurance premium. An excess can also be known as a 'deductible'.

Excess insurance protects the excess amount you are responsible for in the event of a claim.

For example: if you buy your motor insurance policy with an excess of £500, and you have an accident that causes £2,000 worth of damage to your car; the insurer would settle your claim at £1,500. So that’s £2,000 less your £500 excess.

By taking out a car excess reimbursement insurance policy, you can protect yourself against some or all of the excess charges from your motor policies, depending on the level of excess reimbursement cover you select.

Insure4Excess reimbursement policies can protect the excess you are responsible for in the event of a claim. In the event of a claim you will need to pay the excess to your insurance company first and then claim this back on your Insure4Excess policy.

You should check the amount of excess you are liable for on your insurance policies and choose your level of cover accordingly.

The policy holder and all insured drivers named on the Motor insurance policy must be a permanent resident in the United Kingdom or the Isle of Man. You are only covered when you use your motor vehicle in the United Kingdom, including the Isle of Man.

Paying for your car excess insurance policy is simple - you must pay your premium when you take out the Motor Excess Reimbursement policy either online or over the telephone. Payment must be made in full and can be made by either debit or credit card.

You have a 14 day cancellation period to cancel your car excess insurance policy, provided that no claims have been made. You can either email our customer service team at or call them on 01242 538 413.

You should notify our claims team once you have received the final settlement of your insurance claim. The claims team will issue you with a claims form and they will advise you of all the necessary documents you will need to support your claim. More information can be found by visiting our claims page, where you can also download a claims form.

Read more FAQs

Car excess insurance articles and guides

Avoiding Ghost Brokers When Taking Out Car Insurance

Car insurance to protect what could be the second most expensive purchase you will ever make is really important. But how do you avoid 'ghost broking'?

Read more

Guide to Restarting a Car Battery

If your car is refusing to start you may have a flat battery. Read our guide to find out the causes of a flat battery and how to solve the problem.

Read more

Top Ten Dangers to Young Drivers on the Motorway

Driving on the motorway can be daunting for any newly qualified, young driver. We've put together ten top tips for new drivers driving on the motorway.

Read more