Backpacker Travel Insurance

Specialist travel insurance for exploring the world.

  • Worldwide backpacker cover.
  • Travel insurance 24/7 helpline
  • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Two people wearing backpacks with their arms in the air, fingers spread, standing on a rocky ledge beside the sea with houses in the background
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose backpacker travel insurance with Towergate?


Adventurous activities travel cover

Cover available for a range of adventurous activities.


Travel insurance 24/7 helpline

24/7 helpline included as standard.


Worldwide backpacker cover

Insurance for the trip of a lifetime

Direct Debit

Pay for your backpackers insurance by Direct Debit

You can split your payments into instalments

About backpacker travel insurance


Cover for medical expenses while travelling

Cover is included for medical expenses including repatriation under the SunWorld policies and you can get cover for up to £15 million for Medical Emergency and Repatriation Expenses. An excess may apply but we do recommend you to get a GHIC card to allow you to benefit from the health care arrangements which exist between countries within the EU/EEA or Switzerland. In Australia you must enrol with a local MEDICARE office after the first occasion you see medical treatment and make sure you call the Emergency Claims Assistance Service for guidance. All claims are handled within the UK..


Cover for a range of travel activities

If you’re planning on any activities or a gap year trip whilst you’re away such as fruit or vegetable picking or catamaran sailing, we can provide cover as standard. However, if you’re feeling a little more adventurous and fancy cave diving or even shark diving, you can add this to your travel insurance at an additional cost. If you’re unsure which activities we cover or you can’t see your chosen activity, just give our travel team a call to see if we can cover it.


Personal accident cover for backpackers

The Personal Accident insurance section of the Backpacker’s policy provides compensation in the event of bodily injury, disability or death caused by accidental or violent events. Please ensure you let us know of any hazardous activities you’ll be attempting during your travels as, we cannot cover personal accidents which occur during activities not usually included on your policy, unless you have let us know to add them on. Full details of included activities can be found in our policy wording below.

Accidental Damage

Personal liability insurance

It might be unlikely but just in case, the policy provides personal protection for accidental bodily injury and property damage whereby you’re held legally responsible for the incident, up to £1 million. Please be aware this cover will not apply in relation to the use of any motorised vehicle.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 03450 744 838 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Backpacker travel insurance FAQs

This will be assessed on a case by case basis. The medical screening experts will ask you several questions relating to your health condition and this will determine whether we are able to offer you cover. Please be reassured, everything you tell the team is treated with the utmost confidentiality and your details will not be shared with anyone outside of the organisation.

No. The UK's reciprocal health agreements (E111 / EHIC) with the EU will come to an end on the 1/1/2021.
It is therefore vital when travelling within Europe you purchase adequate travel insurance, if you wish to be covered should you require medical treatment.

The Money Advice Service (MAS) have developed a directory of Specialist travel insurance providers to ensure customers with pre-existing medical conditions are easily able to obtain access to affordable travel insurance.

If you would like to check the quote provided by us is the best for you, you may contact them for details of these providers to obtain a comparison you can contact them online, or by phone Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, on 0800 138 7777 or

You can also see more information on OK to Travel.

We aren't able to cover for any countries that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against. You can check whether the country that you’re travelling to is listed the government website on the Foreign Travel Advice page.

Please contact the relevant claims details above.

Please contact the relevant claims details above.

The maximum trip duration on this policy is 18 months.

Backpackers insurance, provides covers for individuals going on longer trips, who are likely to undertake a range of different excursions.

Read more FAQs

Backpacker travel insurance articles and guides

Buying a Holiday Home

Buying a holiday home has major rewards, if it is done correctly! Take a look at our detailed guide to help you navigate the process and find the right house in the destination of your dreams.

Read more

Tips for Travelling Safely with Medical Conditions

If you are travelling with pre-existing medical conditions, read our tips to help you have a safe and comfortable journey.

Read more