Plumbers Insurance

Cover for commercial and industrial plumbing and heating engineering

  • Plumbers liability limits from £1-10 million and higher limits on request
  • Cover to help meet legal defence and compensation costs
  • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account

Call us on 0333 060 4522 or get a quote online.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Plumbers liability
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4331 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose plumbers insurance with Towergate?


Flexible plumbers insurance

Tailored plumbers insurance policies to include HVAC and refrigeration work

Line drawing of persons head and shoulders wearing a hard hat

Commercial and industrial plumbing insurance

Cover for commercial and industrial plumbing and heating engineering


Dedicated plumbers claims service

Experts claim handlers to give you peace of mind

Direct Debit

Pay for your plumbers insurance by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments

About plumbers insurance

Rosette head with a blue tick

What is plumbers insurance?

Our insurance offers public liability insurance for plumbers and heating engineers. It provides cover for any legal fees and compensation costs you are ordered to pay for accidental injuries or damage caused during work you are carrying out.


Gas safety registered insurance

If you are gas-safe registered, our policies meet the requirements needed. Cover extensions are available if you are carrying out extensive gas work.


Industrial and commercial plumbing and heating

We can offer our plumbers insurance for commercial and industrial work, extended above the standard 70kW for domestic properties.

House icon with a hammer in one diagonal and a spanner over the hammer in the other diagonal

Cover for heat equipment

Our plumbers insurance covers accidental damage or injury caused to third party property or persons arising from the use of heat equipment - such as a blowtorches or blowlamps.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call us on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - you're covered!
Get a Quote

Plumbers insurance FAQs

As a UK plumber, our service can cover you for:

  • Fitting and repairing plumbing systems and most general plumbing work
  • Surveying, quoting or consulting
  • Private plumbing work, as well as public and council contracts
  • We can even provide you with cover if you diversify into other trades, such as gas fitting or carpentry.

Yes. We can cover both types of plumbing employees for the same risks. However, it is very important to declare how your workforce are employed, as this will affect how your risks are calculated.

Yes, our plumbers insurance can include heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration work. Please specify when applying as they will be noted as different trades.

Yes, we can offer plumbers insurance for commercial and industrial work, extended above the standard 70kW for domestic properties. Cover can include work in commercial properties and high-risk areas such as airports.

Yes, gas is generally included in your cover, subject to you being a gas-safe registered contractor.

An injury or loss to a member of the public as a result of your business could result in a claim being brought against you. Public liability insurance can cover these costs. You can set the amount of cover you need, and if you need to raise the limit say, to take on a public contract, you just need to call.

Most businesses who have any staff, be they full, time part time, contracted or even un-paid, you are legally required to have employers liability insurance. If an employee was to be hurt while performing their job you could again be liable. Not only is it then a legal responsibility, but also a duty of care as an employer to provide adequate protection for you staff.

Products you use, make or refurbish may need to be protected for faults with product liability insurance. Should someone became injured a claim could be brought against you.

Remember, if you don’t yet have any need for certain covers you won’t have to pay for them, of course, as your business grows or changes, you simply need to call your adviser to increase or decrease limits, or add new covers. 

The tools and parts you use on a daily basis are what allow you to do your job. By simply adding up their value and letting us know we can add tools cover to your policy. This means if they are damaged or stolen you can claim for them to be replaced.

So if a complete replacement of all your tools is prohibitively expensive you may want to consider this cover. As long as you can keep them securely locked, wherever you store them when not on your person. We can find a tools insurance solution that works for you.

Contract works is an important consideration when insuring your business. Liability insurance protects the public, your customers and your staff, but if a fire or storm for instances causes damage to a job you are working on, it is contract works insurance which you would be able to claim against to recover the costs. Further advice is available when deciding to the levels of cover you may need here.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Read plumbers insurance articles and guides

Ways to Minimise The Risk of Claims on Your Plumbers Public Liability Insurance

Plumbing is a risky business, and even the most careful plumbers are not impervious to potential claims. Thankfully, there are a number of ways you can reduce the likelihood of claims on your plumbers’ public liability insurance, so you can keep your premiums as affordable as possible.

Read more

Displaying Your Employers' Liability Certificate

Find out about how and where to display your employers liability insurance certificate and the legal implications if you don't in our useful video.

Read more

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance?

What is the difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance? We define PL and PI insurance to help you decide if your business needs them.

Read more

Covering Contractors Under Employers' Liability Insurance

As an employer you will need employers’ liability insurance. Read how to ensure your policy covers all workers that require it.

Read more

Why Tradespeople Need Cyber Insurance

According to the Cyber Security Breaches Survey (2022), a whopping 39% of UK businesses identified a cyber attack in the previous 12 months. It is estimated that since January 2021 cyber crimes have cost UK businesses almost £3 billion (NFIB, 2022).

Read more

How To Build a Reputation as a Trusted Tradesman

With homeowners feeling the pinch of rising bills, finding a trusted tradesman to complete any property repairs at a fair price is more important than ever for would-be customers. Property owners often find themselves under pressure to keep on top of essential maintenance, so choosing a new tradesperson can be a daunting prospect – and many customers won’t know where to start.

Read more

Do I need a public liability insurance certificate?

A public liability insurance certificate which offers a summary of your policy is a great way to show you’re covered and put your clients’ minds at ease.

Read more

Online Marketing Advice for Tradesmen

Spread word of your service to a wider audience and increase your customer base. Learn the latest online marketing tips for tradespeople here.

Read more

10 Tips for Sole Traders

Are you operating as a sole-trader? Here are 10 tips on everything from sole trader insurance to your employees.

Read more