Disabled Driver Insurance

Flexible car insurance for disabled drivers and non-standard and adapted vehicles from Be Wiser. Protect yourself with optional covers, such as roadside assistance, courtesy cars, and legal expenses. Extra value provided with a ‘no claims discount’.

0333 136 2217

Mon - Fri 9am - 7pm, Sat 9am - 5pm

Request a callback

About Disabled Driver Insurance


Cover for disabled drivers

Mobility insurance for your vehicle, including vehicle modifications


Roadside assistance

Home service, 24-hour rescue control centre and recovery for your vehicle


Disabled driver cover add-ons

Adapted courtesy vehicles and legal services provided where possible


No claims discount

Up to 60% ‘No Claims Discount’ after four years claim free

Features of Disabled Driver Insurance

Standard cover

What is disabled driver insurance?

Car insurance for disabled drivers is designed to provide cover for your vehicle, including vehicle modifications. We do not ask for full details of the vehicle modifications so long as they are under a total value of £20,000 and purely for mobility purposes. Cover can be arranged for any driver over 25 years, while younger drivers (up to 5 per policy) can be accommodated as long as their driving history is acceptable. Young drivers must be family members or carers with the use restricted in the capacity of carer. We can also arrange cover for drivers who are disabled and use a wheelchair.

Proud partners with ERS

We've teamed up with ERS (Syndicate 218 at Lloyd’s) to provide our mobility insurance. ERS have a wealth of experience and have been providing motor insurance for over 70 years. So, rest assured you're in good hands.

Optional disabled driver insurance benefits

UK Courtesy Vehicle Cover – Following an accident or theft, a courtesy car, or adapted courtesy vehicle, will be provided to you while your own vehicle is being repaired by one of your insurers’ approved repairers. Legal expenses – uninsured loss recovery and legal services. Various levels of Breakdown Cover – Please refer to the table below.

Cover for a wide range of vehicles

We aim to be as flexible as possible when it comes to the types of vehicles we can insure. Our insurer, ERS, has a broad risk appetite in terms of the types of vehicle they insure. Disabled driver insurance cover can be provided for wheelchair adapted vehicles and professionally modified vans.

Disabled Driver Insurance FAQs


What if I don't drive myself?


If you don't drive but you own the vehicle you’d like to insure, we can still help. Our disabled driver insurance cover has an ‘any driver policy’ which means that you can cover any person over the age of 25 to drive your car (without them being individually named on the policy). We can cater for young drivers too! You will need to name any additional drivers who are under the age of 25 on the policy but it's not a problem to insure them.


Can we have an any driver policy?


Yes, please speak to the team if this is something you require. We can adjust your policy accordingly; you just need to let us know that it’s required.


Does this cover young drivers?


We can include young drivers, but we would need to name them on the disabled driver insurance policy. Again, let us know this is something you need, and we’ll make sure we add them on.


Can Towergate provide insurance for an adapted vehicle?


Yes, we’re happy to cover a variety of vehicles with unique modifications provided the modifications are made by the manufacturer. If you’re unsure whether your vehicle can be covered, just ask the team.


Does disabled driver insurance include breakdown cover?


Yes, if you have a Silver, Gold or Platinum policy with us, breakdown cover is included. You can check your policy documents to see which disabled driver car insurance policy you have and for more information about your breakdown cover.


Does the breakdown cover include a modified courtesy car?


Yes, a courtesy car can be provided with same specification as your own car where one is available. This cover is not available on our bronze disabled driver insurance policy.


Who is my insurer?


The insurers behind our mobility insurance policy are ERS. Though Towergate will help you with quotes, renewals, and any changes you need to make to the policy, ERS are there to help when you make a claim.


What do I do if I breakdown?


We will provide a breakdown and recovery service should your vehicle break down during a journey and more than one mile from your home. Just call the Rescue Control Centre at ERS on 01277 725 589.


I’m unable to handle the policy myself, can someone else do this for me?


We like to make things as simple as possible so it's fine for someone else to ring on your behalf. We recommend you nominate someone in your family, a friend or carer and let us know who they are. If this is not possible or they are not around when you need to call, any other person can call us so long as they can confirm some of the details on the disabled driver insurance policy for data protection purposes.


Can Towergate provide cover for carers?


Yes, we can provide insurance for carers too, just enquire with the team on 0333 136 8628

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0330 123 5992 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim