Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

RIB Insurance

Insurance for your Rigid Inflatable Boats, including theft cover and third-party liability.

  • Accidental damage and machinery failure cover for peace of mind.
  • Market value as standard with the option to move to ‘agreed value’.
  • Get a £40 Amazon voucher when you buy a new policy over £250*
Product Badge
Two people in a RIB (Rigid Inflatable Boat) on water with a wave being created behind them
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

*Terms & Conditions - £40 Amazon Voucher offer

*A £40 Amazon voucher is available to new customers who purchase a boat insurance policy online where no code is needed or over the phone and quote the code AMAZON40. This offer is subject to an annual price of £250 (including insurance premium tax at 12% and our customer service charge) or above and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or discounts. In addition, it is not available on the Towergate Active product for small craft where the annual price paid is under £250. Cover is subject to your individual circumstances and our eligibility criteria. The voucher will be issued to you by email after 30 days on cover. If you cancel before you have been on cover for 30 days, you will not be eligible for the offer. Offer expires on 31/12/2024 but can be withdrawn or amended at any time if it is necessary to do so. Policies purchased after this date will not be eligible for the offer.  There is no cash alternative available, and we reserve the right to substitute a reasonably equivalent alternative, of equal value, should circumstances make this necessary.

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4260 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose RIB insurance with Towergate?


Third-party liability cover

Option to extend this for water skiing and the towing of toys.

Accidental Damage

Accidental damage of RIBs

Accidental tears and punctures included as long as the cause is covered by the policy.


Machinery failure and theft cover

Machinery cover for craft under 5 years as well as theft cover included as standard.

Direct Debit icon

Pay by Direct Debit

Choose to spread your RIB insurance payments into 10 monthly Direct Debit instalments.

About RIB insurance


Third-party liability cover

We offer third-party liability cover for RIBs as standard. There's also the option to extend third-party cover for water skiing and the towing of toys.


RIB machinery failure cover

Machinery failure cover for RIBs under 5 years old as standard, with the option to add this cover for RIBs aged between 5 and 10 years.


Theft cover for RIBs

The fact that RIBs can be easily operated makes them especially attractive to criminals. Fortunately, theft cover is included as standard. Just make sure that you secure your craft to keep it safer and meet the policy conditions for cover to apply.


Market value and agreed value options

Whether or not you choose to modify your RIB, flexible cover can be provided. Market value is offered as standard with the option to move to ‘agreed value’ based on your level of customisation. Just be sure to check the value applicable to your craft.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team for current claims on 0330 018 2292. From 1 Nov, new claims on 01273 863 450, and explain exactly what happened
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

RIB insurance FAQs

We only offer 12-month insurance policies but the benefit of this is that your policy cover will still apply when your RIB is laid up. If your circumstances change for part of the year, you can let us know the details and we can adjust your policy accordingly where necessary.

You are covered up to 12 miles offshore. If you are travelling between two points in the United Kingdom by the most direct route, you can be more than 12 miles offshore. Note travel between Great Britain and the Isle of Man, or Northern Ireland, or the Channel Islands is excluded. If you’re unsure, it’s worth checking with our marine team to ensure you’re still covered.

Provided you have no more than two people being towed at a time, we can cover a number of different water toys and types of water skier; you just need to let us know to add the cover for you. We cannot cover toys such as banana boats and air chairs for towing, and we exclude cover for more than two people being towed at any one time.

Yes, accidental damage is covered as standard on all policies, except our third-party only policy. So, punctures will be covered as long as the reason for the damage is covered by the policy (i.e. not wear and tear etc).

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your RIB insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium bimonthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Read more FAQs

RIB insurance articles

Essential Safety Devices for RIBS

Make sure you have the right water safety kit on-board your RIB when taking the boat out on a jaunt.

Read more

RIB Buyer's Guide

All you need to know about buying a Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB) in the UK, a helpful guide written in conjunction with Safe Skipper.

Read more

RIB or SIB - which boat is better for you?

All you need to know about buying an inflatable boat and whether a RIB or SIB would be more suitable for you.

Read more

The Difference Between Motorboat and RIB Insurance

Find out more about the differences between motorboats and RIBs and why we offer two separate insurance policies in Towergate’s useful video guide.

Read more