Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Error loading MacroEngine script (file: )

The Difference Between Motorboat and RIB Insurance

This guide will look at the difference between motorboat and RIB insurance and the things you need to know to ensure you get the right insurance for your craft.

Boat insurance for different types of craft

There are different policies available for different craft types and it is important that you get the right cover for your boat.

What is RIB insurance?

Rigid inflatable boats (RIBs) are powered craft with both inflatable and solid sections to their hulls, and are typically powered by outboard engines. They are very popular due to being relatively fast and incredibly versatile. RIBs have been used as pleasure craft, safety boats for sailing clubs and excursion boats for SCUBA dives.

We offer RIB insurance specifically for this type of craft and it is important that you speak to your adviser about what the craft will be used for when taking out your policy.

What is motorboat insurance?

A motorboat refers to any other type of craft where the sole method of propulsion is an engine. This includes; sports boats, sports cruisers and fast fishers, as well as many others. These boats are typically used as pleasure crafts or for fishing and can vary a great deal in size, power and value. 

Motorboat insurance covers a variety of different craft types. It is therefore worth speaking to an adviser about your particular boat and what you will be using it for to ensure that you get the correct cover for you.

What does boat insurance cover?

Both our RIB and motorboat insurance policies can include third party, theft, malicious damage and vandalism cover, and even personal accident if you choose the highest level of cover. You can decide on the level of cover to suit your needs and what you plan to use the craft for. It is worth noting that we only offer cover for private and pleasure use of a craft, not commercial use.

For more information take a look at our dedicated RIB insurance and motorboat insurance pages or call us on 0344 892 1987.

This is a marketing article by Towergate Insurance.

Want to find out more about our RIB Insurance?

More details

Interested in more boat related content?

Boat Gadgets

Boating gadget guide

Towergate have enlisted the help of the readers and forum members in order to put together the definitive guide to the must have boating gadgets.

View article

Essential Safety Devices for RIBS

We don’t need to tell you twice that safety on the water is the most important part of boating. No matter how experienced you are it’s important to have the correct safety...

View article