Professional Indemnity Trade Insurance

Our professional indemnity can cover risks for hundreds of trades, so you can work worry-free.

Professional Indemnity Insurance That Works For You

You can select indemnity levels for your professional indemnity insurance and easily combine these with other liability and business covers, to suit your specific needs.


About Professional Indemnity Trade Insurance


Market-leading professional indemnity insurance

Our market position enables us to source some of the best products available.


PI policies to comply with professional association obligations

Specific professional indemnity cover meeting the requirements of a range of professional bodies and trade associations.


Professional claims service

Expert advice to help you with claims you face.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Features of Professional Indemnity Trade Insurance

Standard cover

Professional indemnity compensation claims covered

Professional Indemnity policies can help protect you against claims for compensation, or legal fees should a professional negligence claim suffered by your customers alleging a breach of professional duties be made against your business.

Tailored professional indemnity levels for your trade

Each business and profession is different – different services, customers, specialisms, jurisdictions and, for this reason, we remain flexible on the levels of cover available. Depending on your policy and personal requirements, we can offer various features, including 24-hour legal advice and worldwide geographical limits. Based on your industry and business turnover, among others, we provide professional indemnity cover ranging from £1,000,000 to £10 million.

Get professional indemnity cover fast

Need indemnity protection to tender for a contract? We can set up your policy over the phone and put your cover in place immediately, emailing policy documents the same day or sending by post within 24 hours.

Group together your insurance

We can also include a variety of business, management, director’s liability and other business covers suited to your needs. Match your professional indemnity insurance together with public and employers’ liability insurance, director's and officer’s liability, employment practice liability in a single management liability policy solution. Together with many other business essentials covering accidental loss or damage to computers, office contents, tools/testing equipment cover, data protection, income protection and much more.

Professional Indemnity Trade Insurance FAQs


How do I know how much cover I need?


You are unlikely to find an insurance company who will advise you exactly on how much cover you need. It is essentially your responsibility to take out adequate levels of cover although our advisers can go through your options over the phone and advise on what you should take into account.

Check Contracts and your customer and other regulatory requirements. Many industry organisations or professional bodies will likely be able to offer you some guidance on this also.


I only work from home, do I still need professional indemnity insurance?


Professionals offering design, advice or consultancy services from their own home can make professional errors for which they may be liable, in exactly the same way as can occur whilst working from an office, design studio, surgery or a contract site. Never make assumptions! It’s very important that you do not assume that just because you tucked away working from your own home, out of sight, that you can’t breach your professional duties of care. Do speak with an adviser about your risks.


What happens if I retire or cease trading?


When you stop trading or retire, we recommend you still have insurance known as ‘Professional Indemnity run off’ cover. This would protect you from allegations of negligent advice raised against you in retirement that arise from past contracts and services performed. Legal limitations permit claims to be made against you for up to 6 years from the time the breach of contract was committed, known legally as the ‘date cause of action’ accrued. Claims in Tort can be longer. For more information refer to Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980.

Many Professional bodies insist on Professional Indemnity ‘run-off’ cover being in place for retired practitioners – i.e. Chartered Accountants, Surveyors and many more.


Do you provide proof of cover if I need professional indemnity insurance to secure a contract?


Yes we do. When you buy a policy from us, we email you all the policy documentation with full details of the cover you have with us. You can use this to present to your clients as proof of cover.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your professional indemnity trade insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium by monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0330 123 5741 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim