Touring Caravan Insurance

Customise your cover based on how you use your caravan

  • Storm and flood damage cover as standard
  • £5m public liability insurance
  • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account

Call us on 03301 625 708 or get a quote online

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Women on a bike with a man beside her, in a field with blurred caravans, grass wall and greenery in the background
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose touring caravan insurance with Towergate?


New for old cover on touring caravans

We can cover you on a new for old basis if your caravan is less than 10 years old.


Public liability insurance as standard

We offer a £5m public liability cover on our caravan policy.


Recognising you look after your caravan

Preferential rates if you service your touring caravan at least once every 2 years. 

Direct Debit

Spread the cost of your touring caravan insurance

Options available to spread the total cost over monthly Direct Debit instalments. 

About touring caravan insurance

Whilst static caravan insurance is not a legal requirement, it is important to protect yourself from the risk that can come with owning a leisure home, such as theft, accidental damage, storm damage, and fire. We offer touring caravan insurance to cover you on the road, on site or at home.

Standard cover

House icon with a hammer in one diagonal and a spanner over the hammer in the other diagonal

Storm and flood damage cover for touring caravans

You will be covered as standard for storm and flood damage, whether that is debris blown into your caravan by the wind or an unexpected flood on your site. Contents left in the open are excluded. 

Person running with bag in their hand

Touring caravan theft or attempted theft insurance

If thieves are able to bypass your security devices and steal your caravan, or attempt to steal, we can cover the loss or damage they cause. It is important that the necessary security requirements have been taken in order for theft cover to apply. Contents outside the caravan and the caravan awning are excluded. 

Jug with cracks across surface

Accidental damage whilst towing

We will cover repairs should you have an accident whilst towing your caravan. This includes if you are on the motorway or manoeuvring around a site. However, this does exclude damage to tyres by punctures, cuts, bursts or braking.   


£1000 contents touring caravan cover included as standard

Whichever type of cover you choose; we'll include a minimum of £1000 market value cover for your contents, so you can be confident that your possessions are protected. Just let us know if you want to add a higher value.

Three head and shoulders, one in front, two behind

Public liability insurance for touring caravans

We offer a standard £5,000,000 public liability cover on our policies. We understand a lot of parks require this so we have built it into our policy. Liability arising directly or indirectly while you are towing the caravan is excluded.

Flexibility (1)

Additional cover

A4 proportioned certificate with rosette

Key protection with your touring caravan insurance

We can offer you the option of protection for your keys if they are lost damaged or stolen. If  keys are lost, stolen or damaged by accidental means, the insurer will pay up to £1,500 in respect of: i) locksmiths’ charges; ii) new locks (if a security risk has arisen); and iii) replacement keys. The insurer will cover the cost of reasonably incurred onward transportation if you are stranded due to the loss or theft of your keys up to a maximum of £100 per day up to a maximum of 3 days.

Certificate icon

Legal cover

If you are worried about any legal disputes regarding your insured caravan, we can offer protection for this. Including covering legal fees or simply offering legal advice. The maximum cover limit for legal expenses is £100,000 per claim.

Circle with a pound sign in the center and rays around it

Extended accidental damage

As standard, you'll be insured for accidental damage to your caravan, contents, equipment (if selected) and awnings (if selected) whilst towing. However, if you would also like to be covered for accidental damage at other times. For example, whilst your caravan is unhitched at a caravan site, you can opt to extend your cover.

When you need to make a claim, we'll help you through the process by putting you in contact with the insurers to get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

Please refer to your insurance policy documents for the claims number. Alternatively call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened. Make sure you have your policy documents and all your information to hand.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information to hand.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened.
  • All claims will be subject to applicable policy excess.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Touring caravan insurance FAQs

If you purchased your policy after August 2019, you will be able to access our online portal. Please login or call us to set yourself up on 01242 894061.

On your portal you will be able to view documents, adjust and pay for your renewal, request for one of our advisors to contact you or submit a claim. Unfortunately, our portal service currently doesn’t allow you to make mid-term adjustments or cancel your policy but we can complete these actions over the phone.

If you have already registered, please log in to our portal for caravan insurance brokers. If you have registered, please contact us on 01242 894 150.

Whilst caravan insurance is not a legal requirement it is important to note that your car insurance may only offer a basic level of third-party liability for your touring caravan.

We offer touring caravan insurance to cover you on the road, on site or at home. You can build your own insurance cover based on how you use your caravan. We offer either ‘new for old’ touring caravan replacement cover, or the market value of your touring caravan. Other items we are able to cover include: Contents, Awnings and Equipment.

It is important to protect yourself from the risks that can come with owning a caravan, such as theft, accidental damage, storm damage, and fire.

No, unfortunately not.

Yes, providing you have chosen to include Extended European Towing cover, we will cover your caravan for accidental damage to your touring caravan whilst you're travelling in Europe.

However, for third-party liability (if you cause damage to someone else's vehicle or property whilst towing), this will be covered under your car insurance policy. Please check with your current car insurance provider about the cover you have.

If you are a resident of the UK, you can continue to store your caravan abroad, providing you have European cover. You don't need to contact us, unless you are changing your storage location.

Green Cards are an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, which guarantees that the driver has the necessary minimum motor insurance cover for driving for the country in which you're visiting. It is a physical document which is printed on green paper and cannot be issued in an electronic format.

The Green Card validates your insurance when driving abroad. If you are anticipating towing your touring caravan in Europe you will need to contact your car insurance provider at least four weeks in advance of your trip to obtain a Green Card (please check that your insurance policy doesn't expire while you're on your trip).

Find out how to prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit.

Please note we do not offer Green Cards: you will need to contact your car insurance provider to obtain one.

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is a document that validates your licence to be able to drive abroad. Please check local driving restrictions before you travel to see if you need this.

If you passed your driving test after 1st January 1997 on a standard driving license, if your trailer is less than 750kg you can tow with a vehicle that is within the maximum authorized mass (MAM) of 3,500kg, if your trailer is over 750kg the combined trailer and vehicle MAM must be no more than 3,500kg. If in doubt, visit this helpful government site on towing.

Sadly, our insurance doesn’t cover everything for any amount. The cover provided by the policy and any optional products you choose to take out will have exclusions and limitations.

It is important to read the policy wording and your insurance product information document to ensure that the policy meets your needs.

Absolutely, you just need select the correct site description when completing your quotation.

If you rarely tow your caravan or it is permanently sited then you have the option to select limited cover under ‘How often do you use your caravan?’ when you complete your quotation.

If you purchased your policy after June 2017, you can view, amend and purchase your renewal in your online portal under the ‘My Account’ section.

We currently do not offer cover to the following models: Dethleffs, Fendt, Hobby, LMC and Tabbert.

No, we cannot currently cover hobby caravans.

We’ve seen all sorts of makes, models, designs and modifications over the years. In most cases, you’ll find your caravan make within the drop down menu when you get a quote, but if isn’t there then you’ll need to give us a quick call on 01242 894 061 so we can get a bit more information and confirm whether we can provide cover.

Only immediate family members are covered for towing as standard on our touring caravan policy . Please refer to the definitions page in the policy wording for details of who is included under ‘Immediate Family’.

We may be able to offer you ‘Extended Towing’ cover. This means anyone with a valid and relevant driving license, and has your permission to use the caravan, is covered to tow your caravan. To see if you are eligible to add this cover, please speak to one of our advisers today on 01242 894 061.

Only immediate household family members are covered for towing on your standard policy; however, you can get additional ‘Extended Towing’ cover that means anyone with a valid and relevant driving license, and your permission of course, is covered to tow your caravan. It’s simple to add this cover to your policy, either login through our online portal or speak to one of our advisors today. If you are looking to apply this cover midterm, you will need to contact us.

No, we wouldn’t be able to cover it as it is for commercial use. We only insure touring caravans for personal holiday use.

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

When you purchase your touring caravan insurance policy, we will send you a welcome email with your policy documents. If you have requested paper versions, these documents will be sent to you in the post. If you purchased your policy after June 2017, you can also view your documents in your online portal.

If you are renewing your policy, your documents will be emailed to you in your renewal pack or available in your online portal in the ‘My Account’ section.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Yes – to cancel your caravan policy there is a £30 cancellation charge.

If you choose to cancel your policy within the first 14 days, you will not be charged and a full refund will be provided, including any additional products you may have selected, as long as no claims have been made. The 14 days begin from the date your policy starts or the date you receive your documents, whichever is the latter.

If you decide to cancel your policy after the first 14 days, you will be charged, by the insurer, for the time you have been on cover and a £30 cancellation fee and our commission will be retained on a pro rata basis. Also, our customer service charge and any additional products are completely non-refundable. However, if a claim has been made, the full premium will be charged.

Our optional additional products include: excess protection, Homecare Emergency, legal protection and key protection. Please check your documentation to confirm if you have included these products in your policy.

When you purchase your insurance, we will send your Policy Schedule in your welcome email which you will need to retain as your proof of insurance. If you purchased your policy after August 2019, you can also view your Policy Schedule in your online portal.

Your renewal information will be emailed to you before your renewal date. If you purchased a touring caravan policy after June 2017, you can also view your renewal documents and make changes to your policy in your online portal in the ‘My Account’ section which will include details of what is insured and your premium for the next year.

Yes, you can remove your optional additional products at any time. However, you will only receive a refund of premium for these covers in the first 14 days. After the first 14 days the optional additional products are non-refundable.

If you purchased your policy after June 2017, you can view, amend and purchase your renewal in your online portal under the ‘My Account’ section.

Read more FAQs

Policy documents

These are just some of the key features and exclusions, full details will be found in your policy wording.

Policy wording
Insurance product information document

See our range of cover for the things that matter to you

Caravan insurance articles and guides

Buying and Owning a Second-Hand Touring Caravan

Seasoned pro or novice camper, find all you need to know in our guide to choosing, buying, and caring for your used touring caravan.

Read more

Winter Touring Tips

Winter landscapes and more peaceful sites can make caravanning in winter worthwhile. If you're braving the cold, here's how to keep your caravan insulated and warm.

Read more

Touring Caravan Insurance Buyer's Guide

Touring caravan insurance can be difficult to understand. So we've put this brief guide together to help you find your way through it with ease.

Read more

How to Find Out the Value of Your Touring Caravan

A guide to finding the new for old or market value of your touring caravan for insurance purposes.

Read more

A Guide to Caravan Security Devices

A caravan is an expensive investment, so it's important to keep it safe and secure. We've put together a simple guide to caravan security devices.

Read more

Caravan Theft Hotspots

New data reveals when and where your caravan is most likely to be stolen across the UK.

Read more