Counsellors Insurance

A helping hand for listening ears with counsellors' insurance from Towergate.


0330 123 5810

Weekdays 8.30am - 5.30pm

Email us for a call back

About Counsellors Insurance


Affordable insurance in minutes

Specialist cover in five minutes from as little as £55.35 per year


Worldwide counsellors cover

Cover to work anywhere in the world (as long as you are UK based)


24-hour legal helpline

Offering specialist counsellors advice whenever you may need it


Counsellors liability cover

Includes public liability, product liability and libel and slander

Features of Counsellors Insurance

Standard cover

Cover for working in at number of different locations

As a counsellor, we know that your job can take you anywhere – so our policy provides cover for working in a variety of locations from your home, clients' homes, over Skype, at events, and more. Or perhaps you run your own practice or have your own premises? We can provide cover for buildings, contents, stock and corresponding business insurance, tailored to your needs.

Professional indemnity

Should the advice or guidance that you give to your clients be incorrect and leads to loss or injury to them, our policies provide professional indemnity to pay for any costs awarded against you, up to £10 million. This can be flexible to your circumstances and we can work with you to ensure you get the cover you need.

Discounts for members of professional bodies

If you’re a member the BACP, we can offer a 10% discount. During your quote, let our advisers know and we’ll take care of the rest.

Additional cover for your business

In addition to our cover for counsellors, we also provide extras such as home business insurance and employers' liability cover so talk with one of our advisers for advice on what else you might need to cover you and your growing business.

Counsellors' Insurance FAQs


Do I need loss of income insurance?


We do offer loss of income and business interruption insurance as well as various other business insurances but not as part of this package. If you require these covers we can provide them via our business insurance department. One of our advisers will be able to advise you further.



How do I know what level of liability cover I need?


As every profession is open to different risks and claims are unforeseeable events, it’s not possible for us to safely recommend any level of cover. Our best advice, therefore, is to select the highest amount of cover you can reasonably afford. We can, however, offer full flexibility on your policy meaning that if you need to raise or lower the level of cover at any time we can accommodate this easily.




Do I still need insurance after I stop practicing?


You may want to consider run-off cover to provisionally cover you against any claim made against you for work done while you were practicing. Our advisers will be able to set this up for you at the end of your policy.




I’m training as a therapist, do I need insurance?


Depending on what you are studying and if you are practising you may want to protect yourself against claims. As everyone’s situation is different and claims are unforeseeable we can’t advise either way but would suggest that even though liability and indemnity insurances are not legal requirements you should not leave yourself vulnerable if you think you could open to a civil liability claim. Some member organisations will recommend a specific level of cover, so you may wish to check this if you are a member of a professional body.




Is my stock and equipment covered?


This policy is designed to cover the practitioner - not a business or property. If you require these extra covers we can provide them at the same time with a business insurance policy which will offer the relevant cover for your stock, cash and premises.




Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your Talking Therapist Insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0330 123 5321 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim