Commercial Property Owners' Insurance

Cover for a range of commercial properties from our trusted network of leading insurers.

  • You can place just one commercial property or a whole portfolio under one policy.
  • This can include standard as well as unoccupied residential and mixed-use buildings.
  • Loss of rent cover if your property becomes uninhabitable due to an insured loss.

Call us on 0330 162 3170 or get a quote online

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Businesswoman Looking Out Over City 2
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4321 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose commercial property owners' insurance with Towergate?

Circle with a pound sign in the center and rays around it

Loss of rent insurance

Reimbursement for you for lost rental income if the property become uninhabitable due to an insured loss or damage such as fire of flood.

Two towers side by side

Cover for alternative accommodation

Protection for you and your tenants if disaster strikes.

Outline of a shield

Unoccupied commercial properties covered by our insurance

Cover for buildings which become unoccupied is available up to 30 days as standard, with the option to extend for longer periods. This varies between insurers.

Direct Debit

Pay for your commercial property owners' insurance by Direct Debit

We offer a quick and easy direct debit instalment scheme so you can spread payment over ten months. 

About commercial property owners' insurance

Commercial property owners’ insurance, also known as commercial landlord insurance, is designed to offer specialist protection for landlords letting out buildings to third parties for commercial use. Our policies can include industrial units and warehouses.

Typically, a commercial or business policy will cover your property against loss of damage caused by fire and a range of perils such as lightning, storm, flood, malicious damage etc. We can also include theft damage to buildings as well as accidental damage and subsidence. Terrorism cover can also be included.

Two buildings, one overlapping the other

Cover your commercial property portfolio in one policy

We like to make life easier. By insuring your whole commercial property portfolio in one place, you'll get one renewal date, one reference number, one price and only one company to deal with. Not only that, but it's likely to be cheaper for you too. Call our specialist commercial property insurance team to discuss your options.

Head and upper body of arm in a sling and a bandaged head

Commercial property owners' liability insurance

Property owners’ liability insurance provides protection for claims made against you in respect of damage to third-party property or injury to third-party persons, as a result of negligence relating to the property you are responsible for. It is possible to include this in all the policies we provide – just let us know the limit of cover you need.

Money bag being held by one hand with another holding the neck of the top

Loss of rent insurance for commercial properties

If you experience an insured loss at the property, it may become uninhabitable while repairs are carried out. To protect you from losing out on rent, or if you need to cover the cost of alternative premises for your tenant, this cover will reimburse you for the amount you would have earned from your tenants during the interruption period. The period of cover can be tailored to suit the nature of your property, up to 36 months.

Gravel and sound block

Commercial fire and theft insurance for properties

A commercial property owners’ insurance package will protect your business and its’ premises through a combination of property damage and liability insurances. It can be made up of covers including buildings, landlord’s contents, loss of rent, property owner and employers' liability insurances. Commercial fire and theft insurance perils are included, which provides protection against fire, electrical fire, arson and break-ins.

When you need to make a claim, the claims team will guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 346 0586 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Commercial property owners' insurance FAQs

Commercial property owners’ insurance, also known as commercial landlord insurance, is designed to offer specialist protection for landlords letting out buildings to third parties for commercial use.

Typically, a commercial or business policy will cover your property against loss of damage caused by fire and a range of perils such as lightning, storm, flood, malicious damage etc. We can also include Theft damage to buildings as well as accidental damage and subsidence.

This depends if you are the owner or a tenant. Commercial building insurance is not a legal necessity but without it you will have to pay for any damage the property suffers due to fire storm or flood. You will also be liable for any third-party compensation claims related to property damage or injury through negligence.

Tenants need to ensure they have appropriate cover, and also check their lease agreement for any mandatory insurance requirements.

If you employ any staff, it is a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance. This can be added to your policy.

In the event of a severe fire loss (or other insured peril) your property would be not be fit for occupation and you may therefore suffer a loss of rental income until the property has been fully repaired. The length of time it will take to repair your building will vary, as all buildings are different - and you must take into account the location, type and construction of the property. Specialist properties, grade 1 and 2, can take longer to build by their specialist nature. It is best to be cautious and consider a minimum of 24 months or longer.

Yes we are able to cover unoccupied properties up to 30 days on a standard package for fire, lightning, earthquake and aircraft. Longer periods can be arranged with some of our specialist insurers.

Yes, we are able to offer cover for listed buildings.

It depends; if buildings cover is included, then yes the structure of the flat would be too. With buildings cover this would include property owner’s liability, so slips and trips related to the building as a whole can be covered. It is down to the tenant of the flat above to arrange cover for their own home contents.

The premiums are generally refunded on a pro-rata basis. Therefore, if you have paid in full for the year then you would be entitled to a return of premium (minus commission and fee). Likewise, if you are paying by direct debit there will either be an outstanding balance to pay or a return due back to you, depending on where your payments fall in the month. Most insurers are unlikely to allow a refund where a claim(s) have been made in the current year.

Your buildings sum insured should represent the current rebuilding value of the property following a total loss, including the costs of debris removal, architects' and surveyors fees and other professional costs.

You can contact the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) for independent professional advice. As the costs of labour and materials can change we recommend you have a professional rebuild valuation survey conducted regularly – at least every three years.

Commercial insurance works slightly differently to an individual’s insurance policy; please be aware there is no cooling off period in commercial insurance.

Yes, we give our clients the option of receiving documents by post or email. Just let us know when you set up your policy or call us at any time and we will email them to you.

This depends on the policy you have chosen. We act as brokers and have access to several schemes. You may receive quotes from a few different insurers depending on the cover you request as we will seek policies from our panel of insurers. The name of your insurers will be stated in your policy documents.

It varies dependant on each individual risk. On average we can provide a quotation within 20 minutes. For more specialist insurance we generally ask for a couple of hours so that we can go out to the market and find you a range of competitive quotes to choose from.

You can pay in full or by direct debit. Payment in full can be done via BACS transfer or debit or credit card. All major cards are accepted except American Express.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to the insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

Read more FAQs

Commercial property owners' insurance articles and guides

Commercial Property: The Rebuild Cost

This article will look at calculating the rebuild cost of commercial property for homeowners and landlords looking for property insurance.

Read more