Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Fish and Chip Shop Insurance

We can offer insurance for eat-in and takeaway fast food eateries

  • Cover for deterioration of stock in freezers
  • Can be extended to include takeaway delivery drivers
  • UK based support
Get a Quote

Please note we cannot cover takeaway delivery drivers.

Please note we cannot cover takeaway delivery drivers.

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
A cardboard bowl of fish and chips with a slice of lemon and a side of mushy peas and lime on exposed aggregate concrete with a water background
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4260 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose fish and chip shop insurance with Towergate?


Covers multiple premises under one policy

Including those selling different types of food


Insurance for money in your fish and chip shop

We can cover cash (Limit £5000) kept on the premises during business hours and whilst in transit to the bank.


Professional fish and chip shop claim assistance

Expert advice to help you with claims you face

Direct Debit

Pay for your fish and chip shop cover by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit

About fish and chip shop insurance


Cover for your shop, furnishings, equipment and stock

Our fish and chip shop insurance protects your premises, including frying equipment (owned and leased) and your stock. Should any of your property need repair or replacement due to fire damage or following a theft by forced entry. This will help you to keep your business going with minimal interruption.


Public and products liability for your fish and chip shop

We offer public and products liability tailored to your chippy’s needs. This provides cover for a wide range of third-party incidents. Public liability protects you should a customer have an accident on your premises and take legal action. Products liability covers you to defend allegations of food poisoning or if your food causes a customer to become unwell.


Business interruption cover for fish and chip shops

Should you suffer a fire or flood that means your fish and chip shop can no longer open as usual, as well as repairing the damage, business interruption cover under the policy will help you meet those continuing overheads until your business is back on its feet. Incidents such as fire or theft by forcible entry are usually covered as standard.


Peace of mind for you and your employees

Our policy covers the risks faced when working in a fast-paced customer-facing environment. With the quick movement of hot food and liquids across hot surfaces, fast food employees risk injury and accidents that can be costly. Our policy includes employers' liability insurance with a £10 million limit of indemnity of meeting your legal requirements.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 346 0586 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - you're covered!
Get a Quote

Fish and chip shop insurance FAQs

Employers' liability covers you for accidental bodily injury claims caused to staff, should you be at fault, resulting in a member of your staff getting injured at work. This type of cover is a legal requirement.

In addition you should have public liability insurance, which covers you for similar accidental injury or property damage losses caused to your customers or another member of the public again due to negligence on your part.

We also recommend you have products liability which covers you should one of your customers allege food poisoning.

No this is not necessary. We will cover you for all employees employed during the year. For SMEs insured under smaller package policies, cover is automatic and the premium non-adjustable. For larger businesses, we can arrange employers’ liability cover for all employees with the premium based on wage roll estimates and the premium then adjusted annually after expiry.

Yes we can. Your responsibility will however depend upon whether the drivers are directly employed by you. Employers’ liability is a standard cover section under most shop package policies, covering your legal liability for injury caused to direct employees whilst delivering food, provided that you are at fault in some way.

If you are using third-party delivery services then you should ensure the drivers hold their own public liability cover for the delivery of fish and chips. They will also need to notify their motor insurer that they’re using their vehicle for delivering food on your behalf.

If your menu expands to cover more than just fish and chips, please let our advisers know and they will ensure your policy extends to cover this. Please note that you must tell us if you offer outside catering at events.

Yes - even if your other fast food shops sell different products. For example, if you also have a burger bar or kebab shop we can insure them under one policy and negotiate for a competitive rate.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Fish and chip shop insurance articles and guides

How to Insure Your Shop’s Stock

Our guide to everything you should consider when calculating the necessary insurance for your business' stock.

Read more

Commercial Property: The Rebuild Cost

This article will look at calculating the rebuild cost of commercial property for homeowners and landlords looking for property insurance.

Read more

What is Commercial Landlord Insurance?

Find out exactly what commercial landlord insurance is and why it's vital cover for anyone renting out to a third-party business in our useful video.

Read more