Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

DSS Landlord Insurance

Tailored landlord insurance for properties occupied by DWP tenants and those on housing benefits.

  • Policies for Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) tenants - formerly known as Department of Social Security (DSS).and those on housing benefits
  • Cover for non-working tenants and those on benefits
  • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Top of large stone pillared entrances with wrought iron balconies on right and blurred backdrop of modern brick wall of a block of flat with windows
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4252 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose DSS landlords insurance with Towergate?

Two towers side by side

Accidental damage insurance for rented buildings

Insure your property against accidental damage.

Jug with cracks across surface

Protection against malicious damage from DSS tenants

Optional cover for malicious damage caused by your tenants.

Camera icon

Contents cover for DSS rental properties

Ask our advisers about contents insurance.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

We offer a quick and easy Direct Debit  instalment scheme so you can spread payment over ten months.  

About DSS landlords insurance

House icon with a hammer in one diagonal and a spanner over the hammer in the other diagonal

Accidental damage caused by tenants

This cover protects you from damage to the building as a result of  a non-malicious and unintentional act by your tenant, their family or their guests. Flooding a bath, putting a nail through a pipe or drilling a screw through a wall are just some examples where accidental damage cover would apply. and help pay for the necessary repairs in your property. Accidental damage, as any other insurance, does not cover wear and tear.

Jug with cracks across surface

Malicious damage to your rental property

Malicious damage cover, similar to accidental damage, is a feature of Towergate’s standard property insurance and is available online or by phone. Commonly, malicious damage when caused by members of the public, is covered by the majority of landlord policies available.

Person running with bag in their hand

Theft or attempted theft damage to buildings

Most landlord insurers will cover you for theft damage to the structure of the buildings caused as a result of theft or attempted theft involving visible signs of forcible entry or exit, to or from the property. Cover can also include loss or damage to your property's communal areas. When selecting your policy, take care when assessing the value of contents in communal areas on a replacement as new basis. Some policies have automatic cover up specified amount but with others this cover may be optional.

Five sided house shape with a door

Cover for theft by tenants

Towergate has access to insurance that can offer theft of contents by tenants as an extension. For standard theft cover to apply, there must be signs of forcible or violent entry or exit at the property. In the event of your tenant stealing from the property, these signs may not be present as they would have had keys, therefore extra cover can be applied. If this is important to you, call us for more information.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 346 0307 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

DSS landlord insurance FAQs

Landlord insurance can be different if you let your property to DSS/DWP tenants. It’s important to inform your insurance provider of the type of tenants you will be renting to. Regardless of whether they are students, DSS/DWP or professionals it's important to provide all the information in order to get the best value out of your policy.

Yes, irrespective of the type of tenants you have, you'll want to protect yourself in the event of insured property damage which renders the building uninhabitable. As landlords rent properties primarily to earn rental income, you could find yourself out of pocket for a long period of time, possibly until the property is fully repaired.

No. The reason is that you can’t insure something that’s not yours. You wouldn’t try to put on cover something that belongs to your neighbour or friend and the same principle goes for your tenants. You need to have insurable interest in the item you want to protect against loss or damage.

Buildings does not just mean the structure of your property, it can also include outbuildings, greenhouses, extensions, porches and conservatories, paths, driveways and patios, walls, gates and fences.

However, damage to walls, gates and fences by storm or flood is excluded. For an accurate description of what is deemed to be part of your buildings cover you should refer to the definitions page in your own policy wording as it can vary per insurer.

Damage to Landscaped gardens, trees and shrubs is normally excluded under buildings insurance and can usually be covered through extension for damage caused by emergency vehicles attending a fire.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Landlord insurance articles and guides

A Landlord’s Guide to Paying Tax on Rental Income

This guide explains how to calculate your rental income and how to declare it to HMRC, with some helpful tax advice for landlords.

Read more

Character Reference Template for Landlords

As a landlord, you may sometimes have to provide past tenants with character references. Download our template letter and tips on what to write.

Read more

Costs of Being a Landlord

Whilst letting property can be a great way to make money there are still many costs associated with being a landlord.

Read more

Landlord Responsibilities

What responsibilities does a landlord have? Understand your duties as a landlord from health and safety to legal requirements.

Read more