Car Insurance

Non-Standard Private Car Insurance

When it comes to insurance, we don’t believe one size fits all. We can arrange flexible cover that suits your lifestyle. Whether you need cover for a high value vehicle, a mini fleet or a horsebox, we can help.

01792 522622

Mon-Fri 8.30am-8.00pm, Sat 9.00am-5.30pm

About Non-Standard Private Car Insurance


Flexible cover

We can cater for a wide range of cars, drivers and lifestyles


Multiple drivers

We can arrange cover for multiple drivers for multiple vehicles 


Personalised brokering service

We can arrange policies from a hand-picked panel of trusted insurers, such as Aviva, Ageas, Liverpool Victoria and AXA

Direct Debit

Pay for your Car Insurance by Direct Debit

You can split your payments into instalments, visit our Direct Debit page for more information.

Features of Non-Standard Private Car Insurance

Standard cover

Flexible cover

We'll work around you. Whether you want to add your grandchild to your policy, or you need to insure a high value car and a horse box, we can arrange cover that works for you. We can arrange cover for multiple drivers on multiple vehicles, seasonal use and low mileage.

Non standard private car insurance made easy

You can email us to request a quote, or give us a call and chat to one of our friendly specialists. When your policy is in place, we'll email your detailed policy documents, including a summary of the key features, benefits and exclusions of your policy.

Say hello to our panel of trusted insurers

We work with leading insurers we carefully select, helping you to find the right policy from a trusted brand.

Our friendly team are here to help

Don't worry if you have questions, our team of specialists are on hand to answer any queries about your policy. Call us on 01792 522622.

Car Insurance FAQs


How do I know if I need-non standard car insurance?


Non standard car insurance cover is suitable for drivers with higher value vehicles, unique cover requirements, additional drivers who may be higher risk or multiple cars shared across the family.

It may be that you need to include a grandchild or your own child on your policy, you may need cover for a mini fleet of different vehicles, or you may require cover for several shared cars within your household. We can cover a wide range of vehicles, from high value sports cars to horse boxes, and everyday cars with multiple drivers.

Why not give our expert advisors a call to talk through exactly what you need? They’ll help you find a policy that works for you.


Can I speak to a real person?


Yes, our friendly team of advisors are here to talk you through any questions about arranging your cover. They’ll guide you through the decision-making process with their specialist knowledge. If you’d rather speak to the same person every time you call us, just let us know.


I want to teach a family member to drive, is this possible?


Yes, you can take out an additional policy as and when your relative needs to practice driving in your car. 


What if my car insurance has been previously cancelled?


Although some providers are unable to provide cover for customers who have had a policy cancelled, we have access to a panel of leading insurers we can approach for a quotation who may be able to help.


Will completing a speed awareness course make my premium higher?


No, because you do not have to tell us if you have completed a speed awareness course. However, if you have any unspent driving convictions these will need to be declared when you ask for a quote. 


Why might I be asked for a credit check to buy this type of insurance?


Insurers may ask you to consent to a credit check for a quotation as it may affect the rate that they charge. In addition, a credit check is required if you choose to pay by instalments via our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited.


What impacts the price of my car insurance?


Many factors have an impact on your premium, including your car's insurance group, your annual mileage, your job, where you live, your age, how long you've been driving, previous motoring convictions, the number of drivers on your policy and any previous incidents and claims. 


How does No Claims Bonus work?


This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months of continuous claim free insurance. No Claims Bonus can only be earned and used in your own name and on one vehicle at a time. No Claims Bonus is not acceptable if it expired more than 3 years prior to the inception of your new policy. Your No Claims Bonus is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for details of No Claims Bonus reduction). If you are unsure if your No Claims Bonus is valid you can call our experienced advisors on 01792 522622 who will be happy to help and advise you. Some insurers will allow up to a period of 3 years after cancellation.


What is an insurance excess?


This is the first part of each claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess - this is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft, windscreen claims or malicious damage.

Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your online quotation and it may affect your premium.


Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?


A fault claim is any claim resulting in your insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in the event of a claim, for example where a third party hit your vehicle, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable.


If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?


Yes, your should inform your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your policy is always fully up to date, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9537 537.


What is an immobiliser?


An electronic immobiliser is a device fitted to the vehicle that disables the engine of your vehicle when it is not in operation by you. Some newer vehicles have these factory fitted by the manufacturer and are normally shown within the vehicle brochure. It is also possible to have one fitted by a garage or specialist, who would supply a certificate of installation detailing the exact model of your vehicle's immobiliser. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.

A manual immobiliser is a device which is usually placed on the steering wheel or gear lever of your vehicle.

There are two types of Thatcham graded immobiliser:

T2 = An immobiliser that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your car insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


Do I need to let you know if I have a drink or drug-related driving conviction?


Yes, we do need to know of any unspent drink or drug-related convictions. Some insurers may refuse to insure you, but we have a hand-picked panel of insurers who will assess your individual circumstances. 


I have motor offences on my license, how do I make my car insurance cheaper?


Unspent driving convictions can have an impact on your premium, but there are ways that can help bring it down. For example, driving fewer miles can help to reduce your premium.

You could also consider increasing the voluntary excess on your policy, as insurers will give you a discount if you increase the amount you are responsible for in the event of an incident.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1798 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim