Northern Ireland Car Insurance

About Northern Ireland Car Insurance


Offices in Northern Ireland

We have a dedicated team of motor specialists to support you, based in our Northern Ireland offices


Driving outside of Northern Ireland and GB

We can arrange additional cover if you frequently drive outside of NI and GB. We will advise you on any limits on the number of days that you can drive abroad. 


Panel of leading insurers

Policies available from industry-leading companies, including AXA, Aviva, Ageas, Liverpool Victoria and Zurich

Direct Debit

Money-smart options

You can choose to increase your voluntary excess, or limit named drivers, to reduce costs.

Features of Northern Ireland Car Insurance

Standard cover

Dedicated Northern Ireland-based advisors available

We work closely with some of the biggest names in the insurance industry to provide you with car insurance quotes. Our Northern Ireland team of specialist advisors will be able to answer all your questions regarding your NI car insurance.

Flexible car cover

We offer two levels of car insurance: (1) Third-party fire and theft – cover to a third party for injury and damage if your car is in an accident, and cover for your own vehicle as a result of fire or if it is stolen; (2) Comprehensive – also includes accidental damage to your car.

Trusted panel of insurers

We work with a trusted panel of insurers to help find you the right policy for your needs, including Ageas, Aviva, LV and Zurich.

Discount and introductory no-claims bonus available

Additional offers for car insurance, subject to terms and conditions, include discounts on insurance policies and introductory no claims bonuses.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Give us a call

on the claims number in your policy document and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos where possible

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Northern Ireland Car Insurance FAQs


Why is it more difficult to arrange NI car insurance?


Unfortunately, there are fewer insurers covering motors in Northern Ireland. That's why we work with a panel of trusted insurers to help arrange the most suitable policy for your requirements. Our local, NI-based teams specialise in helping our customers find suitable car insurance polices. 


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your car insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


What is a no claims bonus (NCB)?


This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months of continuous claim free insurance. NCB can only be earned and used in your own name and on one vehicle at a time. NCB is not acceptable if it expired more than 2 years prior to the inception of your new policy. NCB is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for details of NCB reduction). If you are unsure if your NCB is valid you can call our experienced advisers on 03303 438 629 who will be happy to help and advise you.


What is an insurance excess?


This is the first part of each claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess - this is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft, windscreen claims or malicious damage.

Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your online quotation and it may affect your premium.


Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?


A fault claim is any claim resulting in your own insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your own insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in a claim, for example where a third party hit you, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable.


If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?


Yes, it is always advisable to tell your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your file is always fully updated, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9537 537.


What is an immobiliser?


An electronic immobiliser is a device fitted to the vehicle that disables the engine of your vehicle when it is not in operation by you. Some newer vehicles have these factory fitted by the manufacturer and these are normally shown within your vehicle brochure. It is also possible to have these fitted by a garage or specialist, who would supply a certificate of installation detailing the exact model of your vehicle's immobiliser. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.

A manual immobiliser is a device which is usually placed on the steering wheel or gear lever of your vehicle.

There are two types of Thatcham graded immobiliser:

T2 = An immobiliser that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.