Over 60s Car Insurance

Over 60s Car Insurance

The over 60s are some of the most experienced drivers on the road, and we have a range of flexible policies to suit your lifestyle. Our specialist advisors will be happy to talk you through the choices available.

01792 522622

Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.00pm

About Over 60s Private Car Insurance


Personalised brokering service

We work with a panel of insurers to find a policy that suits your needs, so the options presented to you will be the best available to us. 


Cover to suit your motoring

We can arrange cover for multi-family drivers for multiple vehicles, including high value motors, horseboxes and trailers.


Leading insurers

We can arrange policies from a panel of trusted insurers, such as Aviva, Ageas, Liverpool Victoria and AXA

Direct Debit

Easy payment options

If you’d rather split the cost of your premium, you can pay in monthly instalments

Features of our over 60s Car Insurance

Standard cover

Car insurance with a human touch

Our friendly team are happy to talk you through your options. We’ll answer all your questions over the phone, and you can even request to deal with the same advisor every time.

Keep it flexible

We can arrange two levels of over 60s car insurance: (1) Third-party fire and theft – cover to a third party for injury and damage if your car is in an accident, and cover for your own vehicle as a result of fire or if it is stolen; (2) Comprehensive – also includes accidental damage to your car in the event of an accident.

Tailored cover that’s all about you and your vehicle

We’ll help find you insurance suitable for your vehicle and your lifestyle. We'll answer any questions you have, giving you peace of mind that you have spoken with a specialist.

Carefully-selected panel of insurers

We know things are uncertain right now, but we work with leading insurers we carefully select, helping you find the right policy from a trusted brand.

Car Insurance FAQs


Can I speak to a real person?


Yes, our friendly team of advisors are here to talk you through any questions about arranging your cover. They’ll guide you through the decision-making process with their specialist knowledge. If you’d rather speak to the same person every time you call us, just let us know.


I want to teach a family member to drive, is this possible?


Yes, you can take out an additional policy as and when your relative needs to practice driving in your car. 


What impacts the price of my car insurance?


Many factors have an impact on your premium, including your car's insurance group, your annual mileage, your job, where you live, your age, how long you've been driving, previous motoring convictions, the number of drivers on your policy and any previous incidents and claims. 


What if my car insurance has been previously cancelled?


If your policy has been cancelled by your insurer, we have access to insurers that may be able to provide a quotation. 


Will you fit a black box?


We work with a range of insurers, with options available that don't require the installation of a black box.


Why might I be asked for a credit check to buy this type of insurance?


Insurers may ask you to consent to a credit check for a quotation as it may affect the rate that they charge. In addition, a credit check is required if you choose to pay by instalments via our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited.


I have previous convictions, will I be treated the same as everyone else?


Yes. We are able to approach our panel of insurers for customers with previous convictions to see if they are able to provide a quotation.


How does No Claims Bonus work?


This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months of continuous claim free insurance. No Claims Bonus can only be earned and used in your own name and on one vehicle at a time. It is not acceptable if it expired more than 3 years prior to the inception of your new policy. Your No Claims Bonus is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for more details). If you are unsure if your No Claims Bonus is valid you can call our experienced advisors on 01792 522622 who will be happy to help and advise you. Some insurers will allow up to a period of 3 years after cancellation.


What is an insurance excess?


This is the first part of each claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess - this is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft, windscreen claims or malicious damage.

Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your online quotation and it may affect your premium.


Fault and non-fault claims - what is the difference?


A fault claim is any claim resulting in your insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in the event of a claim, for example where a third party hit your vehicle, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable.


If I have an accident and I do not wish to make a claim, do I still have to notify my insurer?


Yes, you should inform your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your policy is always fully up to date, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9537 537.


What is an immobiliser?


An electronic immobiliser is a device fitted to the vehicle that disables the engine of your vehicle when it is not in operation by you. Some newer vehicles have these factory fitted by the manufacturer and are normally shown within your vehicle brochure. It is also possible to have one fitted by a garage or specialist, who would supply a certificate of installation detailing the exact model of your vehicle's immobiliser. A copy of your fitment certificate may be required.

A manual immobiliser is a device which is usually placed on the steering wheel or gear lever of your vehicle.

There are two types of Thatcham graded immobiliser:

T2 = An immobiliser that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.

T1 = An alarm/immobiliser combination that has been judged to comply to the Thatcham criteria.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your car insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.


What are the main reasons an insurer would cancel my policy?


Insurers cancel policies for many reasons, including missed payments, multiple claims, and non-disclosure of information relevant to the insurance contract. There have been occasions when some offshore insurers have ceased trading.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 01792 522622 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim