Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Driving Instructor Insurance

Award winning insurance cover for approved driving instructors (ADIs), potential driving instructors (PDIs), driving school fleet, commercial vehicle tuition fleets and dual control contract hire vehicle operators.

  • We also offer driving instructor professional indemnity cover, dual control replacement car as well as GAP and breakdown cover.
  • Flexible insurance cover
  • UK-based support

Call us on 01603 753888 or get a quote online

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Seated view of a young adult women driving with a man next to her holding a clip board
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4329 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose driving instructor insurance with Towergate?


Flexible cover for driving instructors and driving schools

Tailored to the specific needs of your driving school.

Circle with a pound sign in the center and rays around it

Protection for dual control replacement cars

Comprehensive cover and off-road tuition cover.


Specialist driving instructor insurance

For ADIs, PDIs, driving schools, commercial tuition fleets and more.

Direct Debit icon

Pay by Direct Debit

Choose to spread your payment into 10 monthly Direct Debit instalments.

About driving instructors insurance


Any driver cover

It is essential for your policy to be issued on an any driver basis as this allows you to teach any licensed driver on the road, irrespective of previous driving experience or other risk factors. This also allows the examiner to drive, if required, as you will not be able to provide pupil details to your insurer prior to them taking their test.


Negligent tuition cover

This liability cover protects you and your driving school against a claim brought against you due to an injury suffered by your pupil through some negligence on your behalf. We also extend this cover to protect any other instructor to whom you have provided a vehicle which is insured under your policy.


Replacement dual control vehicle cover

Most standard transport insurance products will only offer you a non-dual controlled car in the event of a non-fault incident, meaning you’re unable to continue working. At Towergate, our driving instructor insurance will supply you with a guaranteed dual control replacement car within 24 hours to enable you continue teaching and sit any pre-booked driving tests.


Off road drivers aged 14+

Some driving instructor insurance policies provide extended cover to allow you to teach off road, pupils who are aged 14 or over. This cover is only provided where it can be evidenced that the land you’re using the vehicle on does not form part of the Road Traffic Act 1988, meaning it is not a restricted byway.


Driving instructor professional indemnity cover (additional cover)

This cover provides cover for injury or damages caused whilst carrying out your business activities as a driving instructor whilst away from the vehicle. We can also include cover for crisis containment.


Commercial vehicle training insurance (additional cover)

We have a bespoke scheme specially written for commercial vehicles used to undertake tuition or used as part of the CPD requirement. These can include but are not limited to HGVs, forklifts, minibuses, coaches and vans.


Fleet insurance (additional cover)

We can provide driving school or dual control leasing fleet insurance for fleets of five vehicles and over. We use a panel of insurers to find you the cover and price to suit your individual needs.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • For driving instructor insurance policy claims, please contact our claims team:
  • Call 01603 753888 and select option 1
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Driving instructor FAQs

We use a panel of insurance companies and Lloyds Syndicates which includes the following: Royal & Sun Alliance, Aviva, Chaucer, Equity Red Star, KGM, Ageas and Zurich.

MSL provide a replacement dual control car following an accident (whether your fault or otherwise), fire, theft and malicious damage for an unlimited period - subject to payment of an additional premium for this cover.

Yes, our insurers provide comprehensive cover for the DSA Part 2, DSA Part 3 and the ADI Check Test if you hold an annual policy with us, we can provide appropriate cover for the duration of the test. 

A standard private motor car insurance policy will cover you for social, domestic and personal use. Some policies also include cover for you to commute to and from a permanent place of work. So, if you drive the car to the same office every day, you will still be insured.

However, as a driving instructor you’ll require business use for the driving test and tuition purposes. It is often more expensive than a standard private motor insurance, but it is extremely important to get the right cover to meet the demands and needs of a driving instructor.

Our insurers do not provide any cover for drivers under 25 years of age for social domestic and pleasure purposes under individual driving instructor insurance policies. 

If you have between 1 and 4 vehicles, these will need to be insured separately. If you have 5 of more vehicles, we may be able to offer you fleet insurance for your driving school.

No, we do not offer single vehicle insurance policies for periods longer than 12 months as we wish to re-assess your demands and needs each year to make certain we are providing the most suitable policy and take into account any discounts we have negotiated during the year.

Yes, we offer a range of additional covers and benefits which include (for an additional premium) the ability to provide comprehensive cover for trailers, as well as driving other cars during fleet driver development training.

Yes, you can opt in to taking an additional policy with your driving instructor car insurance policy which will cover £5 million Public Liability and £10 million Professional Indemnity. We can also take out separate policies for large groups. 

Driving instructor car insurance is typically more expensive than standard private motor insurance cover because a driving instructor requires a number of additional covers not included as standard a part of a private motor insurance policy.

We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to your insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Read more FAQs

Video FAQs

Read driving instructor articles

12 Tips to Tackle Vehicle Rental Crime

Doing all you can to keep your rental fleet secure is vital. We've put together 12 tips to help you tackle vehicle rental crime.

Read more

Reduce the Risk: Occupational Road Safety for Your Vehicles

Learn how to create the right occupational road safety culture to ensure your fleet stays on the road - and reduce your transport insurance costs at the same time.

Read more

Vehicle Safety Features to Reduce Your Insurance Costs

Keeping drivers safe and insurance claims down is increasingly vital for transport operators. See how new commercial vehicle safety features can help.

Read more