Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

HGV Driving School Insurance

An insurance policy specifically designed for HGV, truck and lorry driving instructors. If you’re using a commercial vehicle to provide driving instruction, we can provide insurance for the vehicle.

  • Passenger, driver and business cover
  • Dedicated account handlers
  • UK-based support
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Passenger side view of a women in a hi viz vest sitting behind the steering wheel of a truck
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4300 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose HGV driving school insurance with Towergate?


Multi vehicle policy

One HGV, truck and lorry or a whole fleet


Tailored for you

Range of covers tailored to the needs of your HGV driving school


Discounted rates

Up to 80% off the cost of standard truck insurance rates for LCV driving instructors.

Direct Debit icon

Pay your HGV driving school insurance by Direct Debit

Choose to spread your payment into 10 monthly Direct Debit instalments.

About HGV driving school insurance


Insurance tailored for your HGV driving school

You can choose comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, or third-party only cover for your HGV driving school. We accept any learner driver - you don’t need to register every student with us. We charge a standard excess, whatever the age of the driver, including ‘Young Driver LGV Driver Training Scheme’ students under the age of 21.


Keep your no-claims bonus

We can mirror your no-claims discounts across multiple HGVs, trucks and lorries, even those not used for teaching. You can protect your no-claims discount, free of charge, for a minimum of six years.


Cover for specialist HGV training

We offer Defence Driving Examiners (DDE) cover for tuition on MOD property, as well as cover for advanced driving and trailer training. Discounts are available for recognised continued professional driver training.


Optional extras for your HGV driving school insurance

We can cover combined personal items cover up to £500 and personal accident cover up to £5,000 per year. We also offer £1,000 of RAC breakdown cover per year.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 01603 753 888 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

HGV driving school insurance FAQs

We use a panel of insurance companies and Lloyds Syndicates.

Yes, we support this scheme. If the student is not part of this scheme, the minimum age is 21.

If you have between 1 and 4 vehicles, these will need to be insured separately, although these can be set-up simultaneously. If you have 5 or more vehicles, we may be able to offer you fleet insurance.

Yes, we offer a range of additional covers and benefits which include the ability to provide comprehensive cover for trailers and advance driving.

If you are involved in an incident, and it is deemed the fault of the other party, MSL will appoint repairers and recover the costs directly. You avoid having to pay your excess and any unnecessary issues.

If your HGV training vehicle is in an accident caused by an uninsured driver, MSL’s robust uninsured loss recovery service is driven by their state-of-the-art claims system, which is supported by an experienced team of claim handlers and solicitor litigation services.

Your no-claims bonus is unaffected and the policy excess will be refunded, subject to providing the registration number of the uninsured vehicle involved in the accident and confirmation that no insurance exists on the vehicle.

Yes, our HGV training school policy covers liability of both the instructor and student for negligent driving.

Yes, we can provide you with a quotation to add public liability insurance.

We can cover a wide range of commercial vehicles including trucks, vans, minibuses, tracked vehicles, forklifts, 4x4s and trailer training vehicles.

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Read more FAQs

HGV driving school insurance articles and guides

12 Tips to Tackle Vehicle Rental Crime

Doing all you can to keep your rental fleet secure is vital. We've put together 12 tips to help you tackle vehicle rental crime.

Read more

Reduce the Risk: Occupational Road Safety for Your Vehicles

Learn how to create the right occupational road safety culture to ensure your fleet stays on the road - and reduce your transport insurance costs at the same time.

Read more

Vehicle Safety Features to Reduce Your Insurance Costs

Keeping drivers safe and insurance claims down is increasingly vital for transport operators. See how new commercial vehicle safety features can help.

Read more