Sole Traders Insurance

Running your own business can be challenging. Insurance is key to help make sure you are covered for the unexpected. Flexible sole trader cover for a range of business types, trades, and professions. You can build your own policy around your needs by adding public, employers' and product liability insurance.

0344 892 1664

Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 5.30pm, Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm

Request a callback

About Sole Traders Insurance


Flexible sole trader insurance

Cover for a range of different business types, trades, and professions.


Optional liability covers

Includes options for public, employers' and product liability insurance for sole traders.


Build your own policy

Create a sole traders insurance package around your business needs.

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your sole traders insurance payments into 10 monthly instalments.

Features of Sole Traders Insurance

Standard cover

We cover a range of businesses

Whether you work from home, are a mobile caterer, run a shop or an online business; we have many sole trader options you can choose from to protect your way of working. We also insure a multitude of different types of businesses. You could run a fishmongers or a cobbler’s shop or provide consultancy services, either way, we’ll help you to find the most suitable cover for you.

We offer a range of sole trader features

It might be that all you only need sole trader public liability insurance. If so we’d help to arrange a basic policy for you. By contrast, larger businesses will require cover for employees, equipment, buildings and more. In this case, we can put together a bespoke package for you combining all the elements you need into one sole trader insurance policy. By talking to us we can build in additional cover e.g. cover for tools left in a vehicle overnight, as this won't come as standard. It’s always worth being thorough to identify your needs.

Encouraging your business to grow

As you and your business grow and change, we can adapt your policy to suit your new circumstances. If you’re a mobile caterer and you purchase a permanent premises, or if you engage more employees; we can alter your sole trader insurance policy as and when needed. Just let us know when things change, and we’ll take a look at how we can help.

Helping you choose from a panel of insurers

Once we've established the type of business you run and identified your businesses individual needs, we can go to our carefully selected panel of insurers and find the most suitable combination of cover and price.

Sole Traders Insurance FAQs


What is a sole trader?


As a sole trader you have unlimited personal liability if you are the only owner and you control and manage your business. You are legally responsible for all aspects of the business and will make the decisions about how it is run. You can employ others if you are set up as a sole trader. Sole trader refers to the business structure.


What is public liability insurance and why do I need it?


Public liability insurance is very often required by businesses as part of their insurance package. It covers your legal responsibility to provide compensation if a member of the public is accidentally injured, or has their property damaged as a consequence of an accident directly linked to negligence on behalf of you and your business.


How much liability insurance do I need?


We can advise you on the different kinds of liability insurance your business will require, like whether you need employer’s liability or public or products liability.

What we can’t tell you is the limit of the sole traders liability insurance you should take out. It’s very unique to your business and may sometimes be influenced by local councils or authorities. If you’re struggling to figure out what you need, it’s worth speaking to local authorities and councils to see if they have a minimum requirement you should adhere to.


What is product liability cover and why do I need it?


Product liability covers your legal responsibility for the products you supply. If you serve food, this could be a case of food poisoning. If you sell specific products, it may be an accidental injury caused by the malfunction or due to defective manufacture. The premium depends on your type of business and the level of cover you need, either way our team can help advise you.  


Can I pay in instalments?


To help you manage the cost of your sole traders insurance premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim