About Contractors Insurance


Popular liability limits of £1m, £2m, £5m and £10m for contractors

Standard cover from £1 million to £10million with option to extend to higher limits available.


Flexible limits for height and depth work

Variable height and depth limits based on your contracting business requirements


Expert contractors claims service

Dedicated claim handlers to give you peace of mind

Direct Debit

Pay for your contractors insurance by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payments into 10 monthly instalments

Features of Contractors Insurance

Standard cover

Contractors liability and plant insurance

Our standard contractors cover includes public liability and employers’ liability insurance. It can be extended to cover equipment, plant and tools, both your own and hired-in.

Contractors cover for high-risk work and hazardous locations

Contractors cover is available for high-risk trades such as scaffolding, hot roofing and underpinning. We can also offer cover for contract work in hazardous or high-risk locations, if you require it.

Contractors public liability insurance available up to £10 million

We provide contractors public liability cover for £1 million upwards. We can also offer higher limits than £10m if you require it for larger specialist contracts.

Contractors all-risk cover

We can also provide contractors all-risk insurance, to cover contract works, hired-in plant, own plant and tools under one policy.

Contractors Insurance FAQs


Why do I need contractor public liability insurance as a contractor?


Contractors can risk legal action in respect of their liability to others for accidental personal injury or property damage arising from their activities. Potentially, the awards that can be made as a result of a successful claim can be substantial. Unfortunately, even the legal costs of defending the most spurious claim may cause financial hardship. This underlines the importance of being insured. Public liability covers legal defence costs and compensation awards arising from accidental bodily injuries and property damage caused to others during your work.


Do I need employer's liability insurance?


If you engage additional labour, staff and others on contract work, you will need employer’s liability insurance.


Do I need contractors' insurance?


Even spurious claims can result in awards that cause financial hardship, so if you are a contractor, it is in your best financial interests to obtain contractors' insurance. The likelihood of an injury or damage-related incident increases with larger or more hazardous projects, and could result in higher costs to contractors.

The cost of replacing equipment or tools alone can be hugely expensive - especially if they are specialised tools. Contractors' insurance can help to protect you in this instance and will also give you greater peace of mind when using your own or hired equipment.

If you employ others on contract work, you will need employers' liability insurance.


Are legal expenses covered in your contractors insurance?


Yes, legal defence costs for liability claims are included as standard in our contractors cover. However, if you want Commercial Legal Expenses insurance then we can arrange this as an optional extra. The limit starts at £100,000 with the option to increase.


Can you cover contract work in hazardous or high-risk areas?


Yes, we can offer cover for contractors working in hazardous or high-risk areas, also work at height, depth or involving application of heat.


Can you offer professional indemnity insurance for contractors?


Yes, we can offer PII for contractors, as this is a common requirement for contract roles providing design and advice. This is a separate cover to our contractors insurance.


Are labour-only subcontractors covered in the same way as direct PAYE staff under employers' liability?


Yes, we can cover labour only sub-contractors, as well as PAYE staff for the same risks under your EL(Employers' Liability) cover. It is very important to declare how your workforce are employed as this will affect how your risks are calculated.


What level of contracts' insurance do I need?


Standard Contractors' Liability cover will generally include public liability for a specified limit of indemnity selected by you – normally £1m, £2m, £5m or higher limits are available. When considering a level of indemnity suitable for you, you should consider:

  • The types and values of the properties you are working on.
  • The types of business that could be interrupted due to an incident caused by you
  • Are you only doing purely new build work where there are lower risks due to unoccupancy, in comparison to the increased risks associated with refurbishment and general maintenance while working on occupied premises?
  • Do you undertake any high-risk activities such as the use of heat or work at height or depth?
  • Are there any contract specified or customer requirements, where you are required to arrange minimum levels liability cover?
  • For Contractors' All Risks Insurance - what is the value of the contract? How much would it cost to rebuild the ‘Contract Works’ in the event of a total loss such as fire?
  • What are the values of building materials you hold on site awaiting construction?
  • What about the replacement values of your tools and equipment?
  • What is your responsibility to the Hire company for loss or damage to hired-in plant and continuing hiring charges?

Where employers' liability insurance is included this will be suitable to meet your minimum legal requirements and will normally be at least £10m any one claim. If you have a large work force, higher limits are available.

Contractors' all-risk insurance covers contract works, hired-in plant, own plant and tools under one policy.

If you are unsure which level of cover would suit you best it is worth speaking to a specialist adviser.


Is there anything else I should consider when selecting a contractors' insurance policy?


There are a number of factors you will need to consider when it comes to choosing the right level of contractors' insurance cover for you.

It is important to consider the nature of your work when choosing your contractors' insurance policy. High-risk trades such as scaffolding, hot roofing and underpinning can incur higher costs if things go wrong, so may require more forms of cover than low-risk jobs. If the contract work is in hazardous or high-risk locations, then this should also be considered when choosing your policy.

If your job requires you to use your own or hired tools that could be at risk of damage during the work, then standard contractors' cover can be extended to cover them.


Can I pay for my contractors insurance in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim