HMO Landlord Insurance

We can offer landlord insurance for houses in multiple occupation (HMO), with cover for bedsits, student accommodation buildings and more. Multiple properties can be covered under a single policy. Standard cover includes loss of rent and alternative accommodation insurance.

0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5.00pm

Request a callback

About HMO Landlord Insurance


Loss of rent insurance

Reimbursement for you for lost rental income if the property becomes uninhabitable due to an insured loss (e.g Fire)


Cover for alternative accommodation

Protection for you and your tenants if disaster strikes


Different tenant types covered

Includes professionals, students, DSS and more

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to spread your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit

Features of HMO Landlord Insurance

Standard cover

Why houses in multiple occupation (HMO) need specialist insurance

If your property is classed as an HMO, under the terms of your insurance policy you will need to register the address as an HMO. If you don’t do this, your HMO insurance cover may be jeopardised. Beware of sublets too, the majority of insurers won’t cover this, so it’s worth keeping in touch with your tenants regularly so that they communicate any plans to sublet, with you.

HMO building insurance

We provide a range of buildings cover to protect against a number of risks, including (but not limited to) theft, flood, escape of water, fire and storm damage. Risks posed by tenants, such as accidental and malicious damage can also be covered at an additional premium.

HMO contents insurance

The contents you provide within the building can also be included. Communal areas such as hallways, receptions and shared living spaces may have furnishings provided by you. Just tot up the replacement cost of the items and include this in your HMO insurance quote. Your tenants’ contents will need to be protected under their own tenants' contents insurance policy, so you won’t need to worry about insuring their items.

Insuring multiple properties

If you have more than one HMO building, or other properties you rent out, it may be cheaper to insure them on one policy. Not only might you save money, but you will only have one insurance provider to deal, one premium and just one renewal date. You can read more about this on our multi-landlord insurance page.

HMO Landlord Insurance FAQs


What is HMO insurance?


HMO stands for “house in multiple occupancy”. HMO properties are shared by at least 3 people who are not from the same household but share communal facilities like a bathroom and kitchen.  A ‘household’ is classed as a family, people who are related to one another or in a relationship. HMO landlord insurance is specialist insurance for landlords who rent houses in multiple occupation. Terms are slightly different to those of a regular landlord insurance policy and you will need to register the property as an HMO in order to get a HMO insurance policy. Thereafter, it’s very similar to a standard landlord insurance policy and can cover to the building, property owners' liability and risks posed by tenants.


How much is HMO insurance?


The cost of landlord HMO insurance can vary considerably depending on the size and location of the property, number and of tenants, and more. Experienced landlords, like those who offer DSS property rental are likely to get a discount on Towergate policies if you have multiple properties and blocks, like a block of flats, we will usually be able to get you a better deal. Speak to the team to find out how we can help.


What is different about insurance for HMO properties?


The lease on HMO insurance properties is different and due to the number of people living in the property, the address must be registered as an HMO residence. HMO insurance presents a considerably higher risk as there are multiple occupants, it requires that the premises must be the occupant’s main place of residence or used by students during term time. A property cannot be protected if it is not being occupied.


If I don’t receive rent for a period of time, can I claim for this?


Loss of rent insurance for HMO landlords is not designed as a rent guarantee. What it will do, is cover periods during which rent cannot be collected due to an ongoing claim on your policy. If damage has occurred to the property due to an insured peril, like a fire, and your tenants cannot inhabit the building while repairs are carried out, we may be able to cover the you for the rent you would have earned during this time. This is up to the value stated on your individual policy so please check your policy wording and speak with the team.


If my tenant(s) maliciously damages my property can I claim?


If one of your HMO tenants were to maliciously damage your property, you would need to have an additional cover in place to insure the damage. If malicious damage by tenants is something you are worried about, just ask your adviser for more information.


Can I pay in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim