About Builders Insurance


Commercial, residential, conversions and new builds

A range of cover options built to suit your type of work and your specification.


Builders’ liability cover for hazardous locations

Builders insurance for both hazardous and non-hazardous locations.


Dedicated builders claims service

Experts claim handlers to give you peace of mind.

Direct Debit

Pay for your builders insurance by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Features of Builders Insurance

Standard cover

Liability insurance for builders

Whatever type of work you are doing, from building a wall to an extension, we’ll help you ensure you have sufficient builders’ contractors public liability cover in place, with limits up to £10 million or higher on request. As your business grows you may take on staff too – we can provide employers’ liability insurance covering temporary, permanent and sub-contracted employees up to £10 million to meet your regulatory requirements.

Builders’ tools insurance

With flexible tools cover available with limits set by you, we can cover your tools and equipment. We can also include employees' tools, specialist equipment and hired plant too. Tools must be locked securely outside business hours, and a single item value limit will apply.

Specialist types of cover with our builders insurance

We can source builders’ insurance policies which include many features such as joint contracts tribunal (JCT) insurance, non-negligence insurance and contractors’ all-risks (CAR) cover for your own plant, hired-in plant, and contract works. Just discuss what you need when you speak to our specialist advisers.

Flexible cover for builders

You can build your own quote and buy online alternatively, speak directly with an experienced adviser for a full review of your requirements. Do you need immediate cover? Or require builders’ insurance for refurbishment, conversion and development? Perhaps you require evidence of public liability insurance to get on site or tender for a new contract? No problem, we can get you on cover immediately via the phone or online and email your policy documents the same day.

Additional cover

JCT insurance for builders

Can include difficult-to-find cover such as JCT (Joint Contracts Tribunal) insurance.

Builders Insurance FAQs


What is builders insurance?


Builders insurance is a type of business and liability insurance for tradesman and specifically builders. It can cover you for most types of building work including:

building new or repairing old private and commercial properties surveying visiting properties for quotes public contracts general building jobs working abroad and even other tradesman work like gardening or plumbing if you need it.

The trick though is using a specialist insurer who not only understands the risk you face in your industry but also knows how to calculate the risk you personally face and therefore offer you a tailored insurance package that offers only the cover you need, so you don’t pay for anything else.


What does builders insurance cover?


Builders liability insurance is a package of policies specific to the builders trade. It will likely include:

  • Public liability
  • Product liability
  • Employers liability

Optional covers include:

  • Builder's tools insurance cover - theft or damage cover for your tools
  • Contact works - to cover on-going jobs from damage or prolongment
  • JCT (non-negligence insurance) - to cover work already completed


Why do I need builder-specific insurance?


Whilst builders’ activities are similar, the types of property, height and location can vary from new build, conversion, repair maintenance of domestic properties offices, shops and commercial work up 4 storeys to work on large commercial and industrial sites at height and at high risk or hazardous locations. It is therefore very important for you to provide full details of the type of work and properties worked upon, so we can tailor cover for you.


Are labour-only sub-contractors covered in the same way that direct PAYE staff are under the employer’s liability policy?


Yes, we can cover labour only sub-contractors, as well as PAYE staff for the same risks under your EL(Employers’ Liability) cover. it is very important to declare how your workforce are employed as this will affect how your risks are calculated.


Can you provide JCT insurance and can you cover my sub-contractors tools?


We know JCT is becoming more and more desired as part of tradesman insurance, even though it still remains relatively difficult to find amongst the various providers. We pride ourselves on not only being able to source this protection for those looking for it but also being able to accommodate any other types of cover you may need such as sub-contractors and employees’ tools cover. Speak with one of our advisers about your needs and how we might be able to help.


Why does a builder need public liability insurance?


Builders face many risks in their line of work. Unfortunately, no matter how well prepared you are, mistakes can happen – and a single slip could be disastrous for you and your business arising from personal injuries caused to visitors on site or in the general public in the vicinity of site. Legal action, for the consequences of third party personal injury or property damage from your activities is a real threat. Protect yourself, your business and clients, with a flexible public liability insurance policy tailored to match your requirements.


Can I pay in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Give us a call

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim