Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Hired-In Plant Insurance

All risks cover for commercial hired-in plant is available to add on to your tradesman public liability insurance.

  • 12-month policies (we are unable to provide short term hire cover for ‘one off’ temporary plant hire)
  • Flexible cover limits
  • UK-based support
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
A digger at work on a gravel surface with a dramatic sky for a back drop and a low sun
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4252 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose caterers insurance with Towergate?


Hired-in plant cover with flexible limits

Our hired-in plant insurance is on an all-risk basis with a range of limits. Cover includes protection against accidental and malicious damage, fire and theft.


Cover when on-site, in transit or in your own yard or lock-up

Choose limits to suit your business. Policies can cover large plant such as diggers, dumpers, forklifts as well as smaller hired-in plant when it is on-site and in transit.


Add hired-in plant to your public liability policy

Long term cover can be added to your public liability policy protecting you against loss or damage.


Annual standalone hired-In plant policy

We offer an annual standalone policy for hired-in plant with premiums from £610* paid in full at time of purchase.

About hired-in plant insurance


Hired-in plant insurance on an all-risks basis

We offer cover for hired-in plant on an all-risks basis which protects you against theft, fire, storm, flood, malicious and accidental damage. Our limits are flexible and you can choose the limit depending on your requirements for hired-in plant. Cover will be subject to an excess (varies by insurer) and excludes electrical and mechanical breakdown, and wear and tear.


Small and large hired-in plant covered

We can provide hired-in plant insurance for a variety of equipment including small portable tools, generators, concrete mixers and larger items such as scissor lifts, diggers and cherry pickers.


Continuing hire charges cover for stolen or damaged plant

If your hired-in plant suffers theft or damage and is a total loss, you will still be liable for the continuing hire costs payable to the hire company until it is replaced or repaired. A cover extension is available to include continuing hire charges up to three months. Let us know if you require this cover to be included.


Cover for a range of hired-in plant equipment

We cover a full range of hired-in equipment from earth moving equipment, material handling, construction equipment and construction vehicles to smaller and specialist equipment hire. This includes popular hired-in equipment such as dumpers, diggers, fork lifts and cherry pickers as well as more specialist items such as air conditioners, heaters, dehumidifiers and dryers.

When you need to make a claim, the claims team will guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Hired-in plant insurance FAQs

No, one off short period hires cannot be covered. You can either incorporate hired-in plant cover as part of your commercial insurance or you can buy a standalone hired-in plant policy for a minimum period of a year.

Our hired-in plant insurance is only available for commercial policies. We are unable to offer hired-in plant insurance for personal use.

Hired-in plant refers to any item of plant or equipment that have temporarily leased or hired under contract. In these circumstances it is normal for you to become liable for loss of damage to the plant by way of the contract hire conditions.

When you hire an item of plant, you enter into a hire contract making you responsible for loss or damage to the plant whilst in your custody or control.

Hired-in plant insurance provides peace of mind and protection against the risk of the plant being stolen or damaged. If one of these incidents occurred you would be legally liable to replace the plant, which you may not have the money to do.

When arranging cover you must take care to accurately assess the maximum value of any one item of equipment that you are hiring, as well as the maximum total value of all the equipment that you will have hired in at any one time.

Hired-in charges are the total annual costs you pay for the hire of items of plant from tool/plant hire companies.

Premiums for hired-in plant insurance are based on the total annual payments you make for hiring in equipment.

Total hire charges provide a guide as to amount of risk you are exposed to over a year. The more frequently you hire plant, the higher the annual hiring charges will be.

Yes, we can cover single items under the sum insured. There is no need to specify each item.

We offer standard cover against malicious damage, fire and theft for hired-in plant with no minimum or maximum limit. This sum can be tailored for you using our panel of insurers.

Yes we have an annual hired-in plant policy with premiums from £610*. We normally arrange your hired-in plant cover as part of your public liability insurance. Speak to our advisors to discuss your specific hired-in plant insurance requirements.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you are buying a standalone annual hired-in plant policy we require a single payment prior to the policy commencing.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Trades articles and guides

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance?

What is the difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance? We define PL and PI insurance to help you decide if your business needs them.

Read more

Covering Contractors Under Employers' Liability Insurance

As an employer you will need employers’ liability insurance. Read how to ensure your policy covers all workers that require it.

Read more

Displaying Your Employers' Liability Certificate

Find out about how and where to display your employers liability insurance certificate and the legal implications if you don't in our useful video.

Read more