Groundworkers Insurance

Groundworking and earthmoving is a high-risk activity presenting many hazards when preparing sub-surfaces for construction works, including damage to surrounding property, underground services, pipes, cables or collapse of excavation. Gain peace of mind with our groundworkers insurance, with public liability cover for work at varying depth limits of 2m, 3m and 5m.

0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5pm

Email us for a call back

About Groundworkers Insurance


Groundworkers' equipment and machinery insurance

Contractors All Risks cover is available for a range of groundworkers' equipment and machinery  - ask for details.


£10 million public liability for groundworkers

Liability limits available from £1-10 million, higher on request. Remember to carefully check customer contract requirements.


Expert groundworkers claims service

Dedicated claim handlers to give you peace of mind.

Direct Debit

Pay for groundworkers insurance by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. See our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

Features of Groundworkers Insurance

Standard cover

What is groundworkers insurance?

Our groundworkers cover offers public liability insurance for a range of groundworkers activities – landscaping, earthworks, excavations, drainage, kerbing, flagging, driveways and footpaths. Our cover protects both you and your customers in the event of accidental injury or damage caused whilst carrying out works due to your negligence.

Protection for equipment and machinery

We can provide Contractors All Risks insurance for a range of groundworkers equipment and machinery, including backhoe loaders, excavators, loading shovels, compactor plates, forward tipping dumpers and ride on road rollers. Hired plant as well - ask us for details.

Cover for groundworking excavation

Combined Liability cover for you and your employees during excavation. Your employees face potential injury for trips, falls, crushing or laceration. Even following HSE regulations, accidents can happen. Groundworkers employers liability insurance will meet your legal requirements, protecting you and your employees in the event of your negligence.

Extension of cover for temporary workers

Our flexible cover can extend to short-term and temporary workers employed for particular jobs, giving you flexibility to easily add extra resource when needed.

Groundworkers Insurance FAQs


Can your groundworkers insurance cover work at greater than 5m depths?


Yes, our groundworkers cover can be extended beyond 5m on request: talk to an adviser for more information.


Can your groundworkers cover include JCT contract insurance?


Yes, JCT contract insurance extensions can be added to your groundworkers insurance policy. Talk to an adviser for more information.


Do you cover plant on site as well?


Yes, we can extend your cover to include own and hired in plant equipment, and a range of handheld tools. Talk to an adviser for more information on Groundworking and earthmoving Contractors Equipment All Risks Insurance.


Do you cover work on public roads?


Yes, whilst these activities present higher risks we have access to insurers who can provide liability cover for a range of activities including highways work on  road, high streets, major trunk roads including motorways.


Do you cover traffic management during groundworks?


This is a specialist market, tell us what you need and we will look to source it for you.


Are labour-only groundwork sub-contractors covered in the same way that direct PAYE groundworks staff are under employer’s liability insurance?


Yes, we can cover both types of groundworking employees for the same risks although it is very important to declare how your groundworking workforce are employed, as this will affect how your risks are calculated.


Can I pay for my groundworkers insurance in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Are there any exclusions?


We have provided a summary of the key features of the policy, above. For details of the terms and conditions applicable, please refer to your insurance product information document and policy wording, which are available during the quotation process.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim