Takeaway Insurance

When the chips are down, you need the right cover in place to protect your business. Our takeaway insurance provides public and products liability cover for all customer-facing premises including buildings, stock, contents and equipment cover. We can also offer employers’ liability cover if you have any staff.

0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5pm

Request a callback

About Takeaway Insurance


Cover for multiple takeaways

We can offer a combined policy for all your outlets


Owned and leased equipment covered

All equipment in your takeaway shop covered


Professional claim assistance

Expert advice to help you with claims you face

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit.

Features of Takeaway Insurance

Standard cover

Public liability and products liability cover for your takeaway

These two types of liability are similar but equally important and we recommend you have both. Public liability covers you should a customer have an accident on your premises and decide to hold you responsible and take legal action. Products liability on the other hand, covers you should a customer take action against you because takeaway food you’ve sold has made them ill or injured them in some way.

Takeaway buildings and contents cover (including business equipment)

As you’re likely to have equipment such as cookers, freezers, deep fat fryers & extraction units we provide cover to replace your broken equipment following loss or damage This will help you overcome those little setbacks and keep your business running with minimal interruption. Whether you own the equipment or not, we can ensure that should the worst happen, the equipment in your takeaway shop will be covered. Our policies can even be adapted to cover your landlords contents or improvements you’ve made which may not be covered by the landlord’s insurance policy.

Employers’ liability insurance for takeaway shops

Your staff are likely to be dealing with hot surfaces, hot liquids and slippery floors. We understand you do everything you can to prevent accidents in your premises, However, should an accident occur and you be accused of negligence, our policy can help cover your legal defence fees and pay any potential compensation should you be at fault.

Takeaway delivery driver insurance

Our takeaway shop policies can include public liability insurance for delivery staff usually as standard. You will however need to ensure that each of your drivers has their own motor insurance including personal business use for their motor vehicle/cycle separately.

Takeaway Insurance FAQs


What is the difference between employers’ and public liability and do I need both?


Employers' liability covers you for accidental bodily injury claims caused to staff, should you be at fault, resulting in in a member of your staff getting injured at work. This type of cover is a legal requirement. In addition you should have Public liability insurance which on the other hand covers you for similar accidental injury or property damage losses caused to your customers or another member of the public again due to negligence on your part. We also recommend you have products liability which covers you should one of your customers allege food poisoning.


Do I need to tell you if I hire more staff?


It’s not necessary to advise us of new staff unless you are diversifying into new or different activities.


Can you provide insurance for takeaway delivery staff to deliver food to homes and businesses?


Most of our policies will cover public liability insurance claims to protect you for claims arising from the food and drink supplied/delivered. But note, this will exclude all Motor Insurance risks.

If you are delivering using your OWN motor vehicles/cycles then you will need to arrange Business Motor insurance to cover as a minimum Party Liability cover for motor accidents.

If your drivers are using their own vehicles/cycles for delivery, then you must ensure that every driver has Personal Business use cover under their own motor policy before using them.  You should tell your  delivery drivers to notify their motor insurer that they’re using their vehicle for delivering food on your behalf, and provide you with the necessary evidence.


What if I don’t just sell one type of food or cater at events?


If you've got a wide-ranging menu, please let our advisers know and they will ensure your policy extends to cover this. You must tell us if you do outside catering at events.


Can I insure multiple premises?


Yes. if you have other outlets, these can all be combined under a single policy. By arranging cover under one policy its very likely to save you money in comparison to setting up several individual policies. Once you have set up a policy, you can then add additional premises mid-term, as the other policies fall due for renewal.


Can I pay in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim