Dental Practice Insurance

About Dental Practice Insurance


Tailor your policy to your dental surgery

We offer extras that you can add to your policy such as legal expenses, to protect you against legal defence costs and Lorega loss recovery – a service to support you in the event of a claim over £5,000


Dental practice insurance policy benefits

Your cover includes free access to Towergate Risk Support, an online health and safety and HR support portal which includes 13 accredited e-learning modules


Public liability cover included

Our dental practice policy covers £5m as standard


In-house claims team

Claims of up to £5k are handled by our dedicated in-house claims team

Features of Dental Practice Insurance

Standard cover

Loss or damage to equipment

Dental surgery and practice contents are covered both within and away from the practice, for example if patients or staff take away equipment for short-term monitoring or working away from the practice, providing it is only temporary.

Accurate valuations of your dental surgery or practice

Through our trusted partner CPA, we can offer free desktop indicative reviews as to whether the amount you have valued your building at is adequate. Should this indication suggest over or underinsurance, we can help you to arrange a full, on-site valuation with a previously agreed price.

Public liability cover for dental surgeries

When dealing with the general public, it is important to have sufficient liability protection in place. Our policy covers £5m as standard, and there is no excess amount applied to this aspect of cover.

Tailor your policy to your dental surgery or practice needs with optional cover

We understand that not all cover available is required by all practices, so to avoid you paying for cover you don’t need, we have some aspects of cover that are optional extras. These include legal expenses, to protect you against legal defence costs and Lorega loss recovery – a service to support you in the event of a claim over £5,000.

Dental Practice Insurance FAQs


Why do I need employers’ liability insurance on my practice policy?


You are required to have employers’ liability insurance if your business has employees. The requirement applies irrespective of whether your staff are full or part time. The insurance covers your legal liability to employees if they are injured at work or become ill as a result of the work they do for you. The policy will cover your legal defence costs and will pay compensation to the employee if you have been negligent.


What do you mean by 'minimum standard of security' on my policy?


To provide theft cover your insurer will require a minimum level of security on your premises. This will include, for example:

  • Five lever mortice deadlocks complying with British Standard 3621 on all final exit doors.

  • Key operated window locks to be fitted on all ground floor and accessible opening windows.

Please refer to your policy wording for full details as the requirements can vary according to the type of door and windows you have. This will not apply to any door or window officially designated a fire exit by the Fire Authority.


What if a staff member is injured outside work?


Our policy provides 24/7 cover worldwide covering a wide range of activities. If your staff member’s hobbies and activities are more adventurous than tennis or football, just let us know and we can cover most activities from scuba diving to skiing.


Does the policy provide cover for re-occurring conditions?


If a member of staff returns to work within 26 weeks of an absence and the same condition re-occurs, the same claim can continue with a nil week excess period.


Can I pay in instalments?


If you would prefer to spread the cost of your policy you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0330 123 5921 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim