Block of Flats Insurance

Whether you're a freeholder, leaseholder or a management company, we can offer specialist block of flats insurance to suit your needs. This includes purpose-built multi-storey buildings with 10 or more floors. Alternative accommodation cover is typically provided if the block becomes uninhabitable due to a severe fire or other insured damage.

0344 892 1664

Mon-Thu 8:30am-5.30pm, Fri 8:30am-5pm

Request a callback

About Block of Flats Insurance


Loss of rent insurance

We can cover you for lost rental income if the property becomes uninhabitable due to damage caused by an insured loss. The cover available varies from insurer and will be tailored for you. Options of up to 36 months loss of rent are available.


Cover for alternative accommodation

Protection for you and your tenants if disaster strikes

Accidental Damage

Optional extra loss recovery insurance

Expedited loss adjuster service from Towergate Assist for property damage claims over £5,000

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit

You can choose to spread your payment into 10 monthly instalments. Please read our dedicated page on Direct Debit

Features of Block of Flats Insurance

Standard cover

Buildings and landlord contents insurance

We provide a range of buildings cover to protect against fire, storm, escape of water, accidental damage and more. The contents of communal areas such as hallways can be included to cover reception desks, furniture and furnishings, pictures, carpets etc. We have access to specialist markets should you have a history of subsidence and will ask you for engineers' reports to evidence the repairs carried out.

Rapid loss recovery insurance

We understand that being able to fix a problem quickly in the event of a claim is vital to save you time, money and importantly to keep your tenants happy. If you suffer property damage exceeding £5,000, Towergate Assist is an optional service that will provide friendly advice and practical help to assist you with your claim. Please advise us if you would like to add either to your policy.

Alternative accommodation cover

Typically, this cover applies in the event of damage by fires, floods, storms and other insured perils preventing your tenant(s) from living in/using the property. It’s possible that part of your responsibility as a landlord, is to provide alternative accommodation for times when the building is unhabitable. The insurance will cover the cost of this accommodation while repairs are carried out, up to 20% of your building sum insured. (actual amounts do vary between insurers)

Cover for blocks of flats larger than ten stories

Many insurance providers can only cover blocks up to ten floors per block. We however have access to a wide range of property insurers and can help you find a policy for your block of flats in excess of ten stories. Equally, if there is anything else unusual about your block of flats, our team are always happy to try to find a solution.

Block of Flats Insurance FAQs


What is block of flats insurance?


Block of flats insurance is designed for landlords who own and rent out entire blocks that can host residential or commercial tenants. Our insurance can cover risks associated with both the property and tenants. Multi-storey blocks can be accommodated, including those over ten storeys.


How much does block of flats insurance cost?


The price of insurance for blocks of flats can vary quite considerably, as do the size, shape and construction of the buildings we can cover. It’s therefore hard for us to give a representative average cost of insurance. What we can do is go to a panel of insurers to establish the best deal based on your individual needs. Call our team to get started.


If I don’t receive rent for a period, can I claim for this?


You can make a claim for loss of rent if your block of flats is uninhabitable because of loss or damage or an accident covered by the policy. Cover available varies from insurers.


How long do I need to arrange loss of rent cover for?


We take account of your annual rental income and the anticipated length of time taken to rebuild your property for reoccupation. Various factors impact this: a combination of type, location, construction of your property, any special features if it is of historical interest such as Grade 1 or 2 listed building in England, Wales or the equivalent in Scotland.


What If a tenant causes deliberate damage to the property when they leave?


Standard malicious damage cover will not include deliberate damage caused by tenants. Ask us about adding accidental damage and malicious damage cover by tenants to your policy.


I own multiple properties, can I insure them all together?


Yes, landlord portfolio insurance combines the insurance of all your properties on one policy. Having all of your properties insured together means one renewal date, one insurance provider and is administratively efficient, plus your policy will often be cheaper too.


What is Towergate Assist?


This service will advise you on what you can claim for, helping you to assess the damage and obtain repair estimates. If you choose Towergate Assist, your loss adjustor will arrange a visit to the property. Alternatively, we can offer Virtual Assist, this is a similar phone-based service. These services apply to Property Damage claims greater than £5,000.


Can I pay in instalments?


To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.


Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?


If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

How do I make a claim?

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Call the claims team

on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened


Provide photos if requested

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can

Relaxed Person Making Claim