Taxi Insurance

Taxi insurance for a wide range of vehicles (private and public hire), vehicle types, postcodes, and licensing authorities. Different levels of cover available, including liability, taxi fleet and breakdown cover options.

01903 875420

Weekdays 9am - 6pm, Saturdays 9am – 1pm

Email us for a call back
Feefo3 Feefo2 Feefo1

About Taxi Insurance

Test Icon1

Flexible cover for taxi operators

Taxi insurance for a range of hire and reward vehicles.

Test Icon2

Refer a friend discount

Discount if you refer a friend and they buy a taxi insurance policy.

Test Icon3

Taxi breakdown cover (optional)

Including separate onward travel to get your passengers to their destination.

Test Icon4

Pay by Direct Debit

You can split your taxi insurance payments into equal monthly instalments.

Features of Taxi Insurance

Standard cover

Taxi insurance, hire and reward vehicle cover and chauffeurs’ vehicles insurance

We can offer taxi insurance for single cars or a fleet of vehicles, public hire or private hire, chauffeur, or executive use. We have products which will provide cover for a range of vehicles, from a hatchback to a minibus and from a coach to a black cab or limousine.

Taxi insurance with 24-hour claims assistance

Our taxi insurance can include access to a dedicated team available 24 hours a day who will work for you to keep you in work. If all else fails and you’re out of pocket through no fault of your own, our loss of earnings cover is here to help. Whether the accident is your fault or not, we aim to keep you on the road and earning with a replacement plated taxi.

Flexible levels of cover to meet your taxi insurance needs

If all you need is a basic taxi insurance scheme, we have third-party policies ready and waiting. However, to cover a broader range of eventualities, try our comprehensive cover options to get that extra comfort buffer. Plus, we’ll explain our taxi insurance in plain English. So, if you’re unsure of the difference between passenger liability and public liability, we’ll make sure you’re clear on what you need and that you only have it on your policy if you really need it.

UK taxi insurance

Whether you’re driving in the highlands of Scotland or through the valleys of Wales, an inner-city cabby and your office is on one of the many busy streets, or you prefer the quieter side of taxi driving and ply your trade in a rural village or coastal town. North, South, East and West, coast to coast we’ve got you covered with UK-wide taxi insurance rates and schemes.

Taxi Insurance FAQs


What is the difference between passenger and public liability and do I need both as part of my taxi insurance?


Passenger liability provides cover for any member of the public who are injured whilst they are in your vehicle or whilst they are entering or exiting your vehicle. This cover is provided on every taxi policy issued in the UK.

Public liability provides non-motor liability cover for passengers whilst outside your vehicle, either being escorted or in the custody and control of your driver. It has been designed to comply with licensing authorities' requirements. Most licensing authorities do not stipulate that you require public liability insurance unless you have a contract in place with your local council, but we would recommend you have some form of public liability cover. Some policies include this as standard and some do not - if you have any queries, please call one of our advisers on 01903 875420.


What payment options are available for your taxi insurance?


We offer a number of ways to pay for your premium, including monthly Direct Debit instalments.


Am I able to drive other cars on my taxi insurance policy?


No. All single taxi policies we offer exclude cover for driving other vehicles.


Can my spouse drive my taxi for social or domestic purposes and be covered by my taxi insurance policy?


From an insurance perspective, your spouse can be named as an additional driver on a taxi policy. However, if they do not hold a taxi badge, you will require written permission from your licensing officer to allow anyone who doesn’t hold a taxi badge to drive a vehicle which is registered and plated for hire and reward purposes. This applies even if you have removed the plate and any livery from the vehicle before you let them drive. These rules do not apply in Scotland where you can allow your spouse to be named on your taxi policy without prior approval from your licensing officer. Please call 01903 875420 to discuss this further.


Do I have to tell you about all incidents?


Insurers need to know about any accidents, incidents, or loss that you have been involved in on any motor policy within the last five years. This can include any policy where you were the policyholder and a named driver was involved in an accident or incident that occurred whilst you were driving. You will also need to advise us of any claims involving fire, theft, malicious damage, or glass.


Does your taxi insurance include legal cover?


This comes as standard with some policies and with others can be purchased as an optional add-on. This type of cover is needed for claiming loss of earnings following an accident that is not your fault and if you wish to claim for loss of earnings and a replacement licensed vehicle. We also offer an enhanced legal cover in which, should you have an accident that is your fault, the insurers will still provide a replacement licensed vehicle. However, this level of cover does come at an additional charge.


What types of car can taxi fleet insurance cover?


Taxi fleet insurance can cover a mixture of different vehicles on the same policy. Hatchbacks, people carriers, minibuses, and even coaches can be included as well as, black cabs and mini cabs, for private hire or public hire. It's best to talk through your specific needs with the team, so just give us a call.


How old do my taxi drivers need to be?


Most of our taxi fleet insurance policies will cover drivers of 25 and over. However, if one or more of your drivers is under 25, we can find policies for you which cover drivers over 21.


Can any of my taxi drivers drive any of my cars?


We have the flexibility to offer an any-driver policy which will enable any driver to drive any car. However, if you have one or more drivers who you prefer to drive a particular vehicle, our taxi insurance policy can accommodate this too.


Can I insure the vehicles I own and owner-driver vehicles?


Some of our insurers offer taxi insurance policies to insure a mixture of business-owned and owner-driver vehicles. Please talk to us and let us know all the details about your fleet in this respect.

Make a claim

When you need to make a claim, we’ll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.


Find your insurance documents

and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number


Give us a call

on 01903 875420 for taxi insurance claims


Explain what happened accurately

to help your claim be processed efficiently


Provide photos where possible

to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can