Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Unoccupied Landlord Insurance

Insurance for if your rental property is unoccupied for a period of 30 days or more, and is classed as ‘unoccupied or ‘vacant’.

    • Cover for short-term renovation work between tenants and unoccupancy between rental agreements (rental void)
    • Repair work following storms and malicious damage
    • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Unoccupied Room No Furniture
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4252 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose unoccupied landlord insurance with Towergate?


Specialist panel for unoccupied landlord insurance

We have special relationships with quality specialist insurers


Tailored landlord unoccupied insurance

We give professional advice after gathering information to guide you to the correct policy for your requirements


Landlord cover for inherited properties

Cover if you have inherited a property that you intend to rent out or sell

Direct Debit

Pay by Direct Debit instalments

We offer a quick and easy Direct Debit instalment scheme so you can spread payment over ten months.  

About unoccupied landlords insurance


Specialist unoccupied landlord insurance 

We use a panel of high-quality specialist providers, so cover does vary from policy to policy. Some more competitively priced premiums will cover fire, lightning, explosions and aircraft (commonly known as FLEA cover) as standard, but you can also add 'wet perils' such as storm and escape of water – with limitations that we will discuss. 

Jug with cracks across surface

Malicious damage cover for unoccupied landlord properties

The highest available level of unoccupied landlord insurance will also include malicious damage cover.


Panel of specialist unoccupied landlord insurance provider

We work with a panel of insures so we can choose and recommend which provider to use. This also means we can help you choose levels of cover and advise on the suitability and restrictions of these different levels.


Experienced unoccupied landlord insurance team

We have a proactive and experienced team to help you choose the right cover you need as a landlord for your unoccupied property. We ask the right questions so that we can provide a bespoke service for a wide range of situations.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call 0344 346 0307 to report the incident and explain what happened. Our advisors will guide you through the claims process.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Unoccupied landlord insurance FAQs

Even when a property is visited every seven days, a small leaking pipe can cause a significant amount of damage after six days.  

Unoccupied properties may also be likely to be vandalised with bricks through windows or burning rags pushed into a letterbox.   Squatters could also move in.

Insurers expect a property to be inhabited so incidents are spotted immediately, such as a burst pipe, or slates damaged because of storms.

When there is nobody there to see a new incident, then the overall damage will be more severe, which means possible higher claim amounts, and so a different style of premium calculation will ba applied, and you will be required to apply risk management as necessary.

A relatively minor repair, for example, may develop into a major incident if there is no one there to report the matter and take the appropriate action.

This depends on the vacancy period defined by the insurers – you need to check policy wordings as these do differ between providers.

If the property is to be unoccupied for as little as seven days, some providers will insist on preventative measures:

  • A visit to the premises with recorded internal and external inspection of the property at least every seven days
  • All waste removed both internally and externally
  • Letter boxes sealed up, and a post redirection for long periods
  • Services turned off and drained
  • Windows and doors are boarded up

You should let the insurance provider know as soon as possible after you are made aware, but always before the property is vacated so that you can prepare for the requirements of the insurance policy.

Always make sure that you understand all of the requirements of the policy whilst the property is unoccupied. Ensure that all of your risk management duties are performed and adequately recorded. Failure to comply with the insurers terms and conditions could mean that the insurer may not validate and pay your claim.

Contract works on the rental premises would normally be covered by the policy up to specified limits, but we will help you check each policy wording. However, it is very important to be fully aware of the limits as larger contract works will need to specifically insured.

Unoccupied and vacant properties are a higher risk to the insurance company. While some insurers may offer temporary unoccupied cover for a short amount of time, they may want:

  • An increased excess
  • An increased premium
  • A reduction in cover to fixtures/fittings and landlords contents cover
  • Risk management if the property is to be unoccupied for as little as seven days, such as:
    • A visit to the premises with recorded internal and external inspection of the property at least every seven days
    • All waste removed both internally and externally
    • Letter boxes sealed up, and a post redirection for long periods
    • Services turned off and drained
    • Windows and doors boarded up

The full list of landlord unoccupied insurance exclusions will be laid out in your policy documents. 

To help you spread the cost of your premiums of short term rental landlord insurance, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Landlord insurance articles and guides

A Landlord’s Guide to Paying Tax on Rental Income

This guide explains how to calculate your rental income and how to declare it to HMRC, with some helpful tax advice for landlords.

Read more

Character Reference Template for Landlords

As a landlord, you may sometimes have to provide past tenants with character references. Download our template letter and tips on what to write.

Read more

Costs of Being a Landlord

Whilst letting property can be a great way to make money there are still many costs associated with being a landlord.

Read more

Landlord Responsibilities

What responsibilities does a landlord have? Understand your duties as a landlord from health and safety to legal requirements.

Read more

The Cost of Being a UK Landlord

When renting out a property, repairs are inevitable. Whether caused by tenants, bad plumbing or intense weather conditions, as a landlord, you’re responsible for most of the repairs in your home. Over time, costs can start to add up rapidly, especially if you are letting multiple properties.

Read more

What Landlord’s Insurance Do I Need?

Not sure what landlord’s insurance you need?  Residential or commercial, mixed-use, or multiple premises we’ve got it covered.

Read more

Do I Need Landlords Insurance?

Learn the importance of landlords insurance and whether it's a must-have for your rental property investment.

Read more

Landlord Mould Responsibility: A Guide for Tenants and Landlords

Particularly during the colder and damper winter months, mould can be a real concern for both tenants and landlords in rented properties. Often caused by condensation, mould can be the result of maintenance issues or structural issues in the property, and can lead to health problems for residents.

Read more

What is Landlord Insurance?

Find out what landlord insurance is.

Read more

What Are The Fire Safety Regulations for Landlords?

Stay informed about the crucial fire safety regulations that landlords must adhere to, keeping your rental property secure.

Read more

Asbestos: Your Duties as a Landlord

As a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants to protect them from any harm that can be caused in your property - including asbestos.

Read more

How to Become a Landlord

Becoming a landlord is an exciting but daunting experience. There are lots of considerations to take into account before you let out a property. To assist you, we’ve pulled together a beginner’s guide on how to become a landlord.

Read more