Coronavirus help and support for our insurance customers

Camera Insurance

Specialist camera insurance for multimedia businesses, professional photographers and enthusiasts from Towergate Camerasure.

  • Cover for your camera, lenses, and other photographic and video equipment
  • Fast and efficient in-house camera insurance claims service
  • Build your policy around what you do
Error loading MacroEngine script (file: [Razor]ProductContactHeroImage.cshtml)

Camera insurance FAQs

Read answers to common questions about camera insurance below.

What does camera insurance cover?

There are a whole host of different risks we can cover for you - it all depends on the level you’re at as a photographer. If you’re just starting out you might find you just need cover for your camera equipment but if your passion for photography grows you might want to add more cover for extra equipment such as additional lenses and accessories. If so, all you need to do is call us and we’ll update your policy accordingly. Changes to your policy may alter your premium and just remember there may be a fee for adjustments.

Do I need camera insurance?

Although insurance for cameras and equipment you own isn’t mandatory it is best to consider having this as the cost of replacing equipment alone can be hugely expensive. Photography insurance can help to protect you in this instance. It will also give you greater peace of mind when using your equipment in the UK or abroad to get you up and running again as quickly as possible.

If you are a professional photographer and employ any staff, you will require employers' liability cover. You will also likely need to have covers such as public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance in place to protect you if your clients or third parties suffer any accidents and to meet your contractual obligations.

Is your camera insurance cover valid abroad?

Yes. All of our policies include the option for you to insure your camera equipment while you travel abroad. So as long as you don't exceed 45 days in any one trip, you just need to check your documents to make sure the country you're travelling to is included in the terms of your policy. Alternatively, you can ring the team directly to discuss and agree the right cover for you.

Can your camera insurance include excess cover?

Yes, Towergate photography insurance excesses vary but full details can be found on your policy documents or you can contact one of the team.

How do I know the value of equipment I want to insure?

We replace your items on a new for old basis, so in the unfortunate event of a total loss you get the latest equivalent model as a replacement. By checking how much an equivalent replacement costs in the market today, you will get a good idea of the value you should insure your own equipment for.

Do I need to provide you with a list of my equipment?

The answer is no provided you have receipts and invoices for your equipment in the event of a claim. If you are concerned that you may not have these then please supply an equipment list, to make sure that your sum insured is adequate.

Is my equipment covered in the hold of an aircraft?

Yes, full cover is extended to equipment within the hold of an aircraft subject to the equipment being in a locked Peli Case or similar protective casing.

Is my camera and equipment covered if I am distracted and it is stolen?

Yes, we have Towergate products available that provide cover for 'open theft' and this would include opportunist. This means we do not require signs of forcible or violent, entry or exit for the theft cover to be in force.

Under my previous insurance I made a claim, will this affect my cover?

We only need to know about claims you have made in the last five years. Each claim is considered on an individual basis and though some may have no effect on your policy, others might. Just make sure you let us know and we will talk you through it, as failure to disclose a claim can invalidate your cover.

What are your camera insurance exclusions?

The full list of exclusions will be laid out in your policy documents.

About Towergate's camera insurance

Towergate Camerasure are specialists in photography, film, videography and commercial drone insurance. We have been established for over 20 years, treat all our customers as individuals and helping them build camera cover policies that are tailored to their business' needs.

Camera Insurance Articles & Guides

Read more from Towergate:

wedding photo social


Top Photography Tips

Want to make sure you can capture that perfect moment on the specialist occasions, whatever your camera or experience? Read some great photography techniques and tips in our guide.

Food Photography


The Art of Food Photography

Instagram's favourite food captured by a professional food photographer and a social media-loving foodie. How do their styling and techniques differ?



Top Photography Locations in the UK

One of the draws of photography is the opportunities it offers to capture the variety and unpredictability of the landscape. The UK is fortunate to have a wide range of scenic landscapes awaiting any photographer, from someone with a camera phone, to digital SLR users with the patience to set up a perfect long-exposure shot. Whether you are drawn to rugged shores, ancient forests or historic cities there are many places that offer excellent places to visit for photography locations no matter the weather or time of year.

Request a callback

Full name   Contact number     Email address     Please note: This service operates only during office hours.