Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Plant Insurance

We can provide insurance for both your own or hired-in plant as part of your tradesman public liability insurance.

  • Standard cover for plant with flexible limits from £25,000 upwards against accidental and malicious damage, fire and theft risk
  • Dedicated plant claims service.
  • UK based support
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Two men in overalls and hard hats on a cherry picker power washing the side of a huge metal wall
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4252 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose plant insurance with Towergate?


Flexible plant insurance

Plant insurance available as part of your liability package.


Cover for continuing plant hiring charges

Insurance for hiring charges that you incur while damaged plant is repaired or replaced for a limited period.


Dedicated plant claims service

Experts claim handlers to give you peace of mind.

Direct Debit

Pay for your plant insurance by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payments into 10 monthly instalments.

About plant insurance


Wide range of plant and machinery covered

We can provide cover for plant items ranging from small portable tools, to compressors, generators, mixers and specialist drills. Our single item limit is from £5,000 and can be increased to cater for larger items of mechanical plant and equipment such as diggers, dumpers scissor lifts etc.


Cover for plant in transit

Hired-in plant insurance provides peace of mind and protection against the risks of the plant being stolen or damaged, including in transit to and from site and hire company. Security conditions and an excess will apply.


Cover against plant fire, theft or malicious damage

We offer standard cover from £25,000 upwards for loss or damage from theft, fire, storm, flood, water, accidental and malicious damage. Higher limits are available depending on your requirements for your own and hired-in plant.


Hiring charges cover for stolen or damaged paint

If your hired-in plant suffers theft or damage, you will not be able to carry out your work but will still be liable for the ongoing hire charges. Plant insurance can cover the costs of hiring charges until the situation is resolved.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Plant insurance FAQs

Millions of pounds of plant and equipment is stolen from construction sites each year, and vandalism is also a significant problem. When equipment is kept outside damage from the elements is also a significant risk, and given construction sites are by their nature potentially hazardous environments, there is always a chance of plant and machinery suffering accidental damage.

Furthermore, if you have leased plant equipment, you have an agreement with the hiring company which makes you responsible for the plant while it is in your control. If it suffers theft or damage, you would be legally liable to replace the plant, which you may not have the money to do. On top of this, you have a financial responsibility to continue paying any leasing charges for hired-in equipment even while it is damaged or stolen, until is repaired or replaced.

Therefore, whether have your own plant or have hired equipment, plant insurance is crucial to protect you and your business protects you should the plant be stolen or damaged.

Whether you are using your own plant or have hired in equipment, plant insurance provides peace of mind and protection against the risk of the plant being stolen or damaged. Remember when you lease a piece of plant, you enter into a contract with the hiring company, making you responsible for the plant while in your control. If it suffers theft or damage, you would be legally liable to replace the plant creating and unforeseen financial expense.

Plant insurance can cover you against malicious damage, theft, fire, storm, flood and water damage for both your own or hired-in equipment. This includes both while the equipment is at the worksite, and transfer of equipment to and from the worksite (within the distances stated in your policy).

Levels of cover will vary according to your policy and insurer but standard cover is available up to at least £100,000. Higher limits are also available in tailored, bespoke packages.

Should your hired-in plant be damaged or stolen, you will need to pay continuing hiring charges until the equipment is replaced or repaired. Plant equipment is designed to also cover this expense.

Hired-in plant refers to any item of plant or equipment that have temporarily leased or hired under contract. In these circumstances it is normal for you to become liable for loss of damage to the plant by way pf the Contract hire Conditions.

Annual Hired-in charges are a rating item and a differential indicator of your risk exposure. They are the total of all individual hiring costs that you incur over a year which are paid to all hiring and leasing companies you use. This annual hire-in charge will have an effect on your premium, depending on how frequently you hire in plant.

There are a wide range of plant insurance policies available, as part of a single package, separately for a set of equipment, or even for just a single item. While it is therefore difficult to give an average cost, there are ways to keep your premiums lower, including:

  • Extra security for your equipment, such as CCTV
  • Keeping it under cover to protect it from the elements

If you hire equipment frequently, the most cost-effective method is usually to take out an annual plant insurance policy. This will cover any equipment you hire during that time against damage and theft and will invariably be cheaper than purchasing a separate policy each time you need to rent an item of plant.

Note also that plant leasing firms will offer insurance to cover their equipment if it is damaged or stolen. However, this is usually more restrictive cover than a plant insurance policy (often excluding accidental damage cover, for example), so could turn out to be far more expensive in the long run.

We offer standard cover against malicious damage, fire and theft for your own or hired-in plant from £25,000 We can extend this limit with a tailored policy if you require a much higher values up to £100,000 and more, from our panel of insurers.

As noted above, while you may be able to take out a hired-in plant insurance policy direct from the leaser, by insuring the machinery yourself, you will be able to get more extensive cover to suit the needs of your business.

Some plant insurance policies may carry an excess that you need to contribute towards each claim. You can reduce your premium by agreeing to a higher excess, but note you would need to pay a larger sum in the event of a claim.

As with all covers, plant insurance policies vary by insurer and customer, so you should always check your policy documents carefully for a comprehensive list of any exclusions.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

We normally only arrange your plant cover as part of your public liability insurance. Speak to our advisors to discuss your specific plant insurance requirements.

Read more FAQs

Plant insurance articles and guides

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance?

What is the difference between public liability and professional indemnity insurance? We define PL and PI insurance to help you decide if your business needs them.

Read more

Covering Contractors Under Employers' Liability Insurance

As an employer you will need employers’ liability insurance. Read how to ensure your policy covers all workers that require it.

Read more

Displaying Your Employers' Liability Certificate

Find out about how and where to display your employers liability insurance certificate and the legal implications if you don't in our useful video.

Read more