Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Car Insurance for Diplomats

We can arrange car insurance for diplomats and embassy staff, helping to meet their unique requirements. 

  • We can assist customers with non UK driving licenses
  • We can assist customers with leased vehicles and diplomatic registration plates.
  • UK based support
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Row of flags from different nations with blurred trees in the background with blue and white sky
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4252 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose car insurance for diplomats with Towergate?


Flexible cover

We can cater for foreign diplomats currently living and working in the UK. We can also accept your non UK No Claims Bonus. 


Low mileage cover options

We may be able to source cover suitable for lower mileage customers. 


Cover available for leased vehicles

We can organise cover for your leased vehicle, and some insurers will apply a discount if you garage your vehicle overnight. 


Dedicated 24-hour support

In the event of an incident, you can call our specialist motor claims partners at Law Shield 24 hours a day on 0344 892 1798.

About car insurance for diplomats


Flexible cover

We can arrange flexible insurance for diplomats, including those with a non UK driving license, from overseas and with diplomatic plates. We can also alter the policy when required due to changes in driver. Our non standard cover can include multiple drivers and high value vehicles.


Cover for high value vehicles

We can arrange cover for high value, luxury cars.


Say hello to our panel of trusted insurers

We work with leading insurers we carefully select, helping you to find the right policy from a trusted brand.


Specialist car insurance team

Don't worry if you have questions, we have a dedicated team ready to help organise car insurance for diplomats and embassy staff. Call us on 01792 522622.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 01823 426 448 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Car insurance for diplomats FAQs

Yes, our friendly team of advisors are here to talk you through any questions about arranging your cover. They’ll guide you through the decision-making process with their specialist knowledge. If you’d rather speak to the same person every time you call us, just let us know.

Yes, we will be able to organise cover for your leased vehicle. 

Yes, we can arrange insurance cover for those with diplomat plates. 

Insurers may ask you to consent to a credit check for a quotation as it may affect the rate that they charge. In addition, a credit check is required if you choose to pay by instalments via our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited.

This is a discount awarded for the completion of 12 months of continuous claim free insurance. No Claims Bonus can only be earned and used in your own name and on one vehicle at a time.

No Claims Bonus is not acceptable if it expired more than 3 years prior to the inception of your new policy. Your No Claims Bonus is reduced after a fault claim (please refer to your policy wording for details of No Claims Bonus reduction).

If you are unsure if your No Claims Bonus is valid you can call our experienced advisors on 01792 522622 who will be happy to help and advise you. Some insurers will allow up to a period of 3 years after cancellation.

Yes, most insurers will accept a No Claims Bonus from outside the UK. 

This is the first part of each claim which you (not your insurer) must pay. There are two types of excess:

Compulsory excess - this is an excess that has been applied as a requirement by your insurer and will vary according to your personal circumstances and the terms of cover provided. A compulsory excess may be required if you drive a particular vehicle or you have inexperienced drivers on your policy. There is also a compulsory excess for fire, theft, windscreen claims or malicious damage.

Voluntary excess - This will apply where you agree with your insurer to pay a greater part of each claim, in addition to your compulsory excess. A voluntary excess can be increased or decreased at your request during your online quotation and it may affect your premium.

A fault claim is any claim resulting in your insurer being liable (paying for the claim). For example, you are not to blame for a theft claim but your insurer would be liable, as they have no other party to recover the costs from.

If your insurer pays for your damages in the event of a claim, for example where a third party hit your vehicle, but then re-coups their costs via the third party's insurer, this would be a non-fault claim as your insurer was not liable.

Many factors have an impact on your premium, including your car's insurance group, your annual mileage, your job, where you live, your age, how long you've been driving, previous motoring convictions, the number of drivers on your policy and any previous incidents and claims. 

Yes, you should inform your insurer of any incident the insured vehicle is involved in, so that your policy is always fully up to date, even if no claim is to be made. All incidents should be reported to 0800 9537 537.

If you would prefer to spread the cost of your car insurance policy, you have the option of setting up a Direct Debit to pay your premium in equal monthly instalments through our preferred provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL).

To find out more about PCL and direct debit payments, select Direct Debit.

To understand more about how PCL work together with Towergate, please read our Regulatory Information.

Read more FAQs

Protect other things that matter to you

Car insurance for diplomats articles and guides

Towergate's Top 10 UK Scenic Driving Routes

View our top 10 driving routes across the UK. Written in conjunction with our friends at Footman James.

Read more

Top Tips for Driving on Country Roads

Driving on winding country lanes can be daunting. Our guide contains simple tips for staying safe on country roads.

Read more

UK Drivers No Longer Need Insurance ‘Green Cards’ for Driving in Europe

Following Brexit, UK drivers were required to carry a “Green Card” (an International Motor Insurance Certificate) when driving in Europe. 

Read more