Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

UK Drivers No Longer Need Insurance ‘Green Cards’ for Driving in Europe

UK Drivers Will No Longer Require Insurance ‘Green Cards’ for Driving in Europe

Following Brexit, UK drivers were required to carry a “Green Card” (an International Motor Insurance Certificate) when driving in Europe. This document, Issued by the motor insurance providers,  certifies that the holder has sufficient motor insurance cover to allow them to legally drive in the country that they are visiting.

Up Arrow

Changes to European driving rules UK motorists must be aware of

Motorists in Northern Ireland were particularly inconvenienced when the protocol was introduced, as it meant they were required to apply for, carry and present the Green Card when crossing the border into the adjoining Republic of Ireland.

On 30 June 2021, the European Commission announced that, with effect from 2nd August 2021, this would no longer be the case. The announcement stated that the UK would be able to participate in the Green Card Free Circulation Area (GCFCA), which consists of all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries, as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia and Switzerland.

These regulations apply to both commercial and personal vehicles.

Holidaymakers and business travellers alike can breathe a sigh of relief, as they can scratch one more thing off their pre-travel to do list.

Another change motorists will see in the coming months, is  the replacement of the GB stickers/magnets. From 28 September 2021, the United Nations (UN) has  advised that the GB stickers, that have been in use for 111 years, will no longer be valid for driving abroad. Instead motorists will need to display a UK sticker/magnet to drive their vehicle on foreign roads.

For those with the GB emblem printed on your number plate, you can either order one of the new UK plates or simply use a UK sticker/magnet alongside the old GB printed number plate.

The new UK sign will be inclusive of Northern Ireland, which is not included in the term ‘Great Britain’.

This change is the second alteration number plates have had this year. In January, new number plates went into circulation, with the Union Jack Flag and GB sign which were created to allow UK drivers to drive on foreign roads without the GB stickers. However, these too will no longer be valid.

The new UK stickers will be available online, in the run up to 28 September 2021 for £1.50 each. You will also be able to purchase them in post offices and garages.

Up Arrow

Do I need an International Driving Permit after Brexit?

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is a document that validates your licence to be able to drive abroad. Please check local driving restrictions before you travel to see if you need this.

Up Arrow

More information about driving in Europe from 1 January 2021

Up Arrow

Commercial vehicle insurance from Towergate

We can offer tailored commercial vehicle insurance for your taxi, coach, truck, minibus and more. Our cover will help keep your business on the road.

Call for a quote on 0344 346 1418 or request a quote online.

Up Arrow

Motor insurance from Towergate

We can offer a range of motor insurance policies to suit your needs. Read more on our motor insurance webpage.

 All cover is subject to normal underwriting terms and conditions.

Up Arrow

About the author

Chris North FCII, commercial vehicles insurance articles author Chris North FCII is a respected industry leader with over 40 years' experience, who has worked in the insurance industry in a variety of roles, accumulating a wealth of knowledge.He is currently Technical Manager for Towergate's motor division, providing expertise on all matters relating to motor fleet insurance, in particular haulage and self-drive hire fleets.